It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:29 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: How many Royales?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:51 pm 

Udolahr wrote:
so who made the frames ? Where is the documentation for it ? To say Alstom made it , must be wrong , because there was no Alstom in this time . The De Dietrich archive is very good , I can show in the books every part Bugatti did order from 1902 .
If nobody can say who made it - and nobody can say how is it made - and nobody went to the De Dietrich archive to look for ! So how can anybody say how many are made !
Everything writen in books for the last 30 years is maybe wrong , because nobody did ask questions about it .

Schlumpfs records are excellent also with every purchase detailed,If anyone could be assed to bother doing it all could be revealed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:41 am 

The story is , Alstom made the frames for Schlumpf . Alstom where ? And how many ? And how are this frames made . A press tool today is over 100 000 €.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:52 am 

Udo, did you ever see the frames Gino made for wheatcroft?
Why are you thinking a 100000 grand press needs to be made?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:12 pm 

yesterday evening I read a piece in a Bugantics issue (early eighties), where a noted expert also mentioned Alstom as the producer of the Royale chassis frames. I will look it up tonight and edit it as reference in this post. Maybe this piece of history was "clouded" from the very beginning ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:12 pm 

Last year , I was taking with the owner of Ashton Keynes . He told me , he still has one chassis .Wheatcroft did order not only one . And he told me how it was made , with many - many bottles of oxygen and acetylene . The rest he told me about it , I better do not describe in the internet . Do you know " Press steel Fisher " , ( it is the old name ) ? Ask how much a prees tool cost . I am sure you can not get a tool for 100 000€ . And if you like , just ask what they build today and why .
Last year I researched many Bugatti chassis to find aut how they are made . The Esders , the original Royale , some 35 and 37 , 13 , 51 , 57 . The reproduction chassis are all welded . If you can not see the welding with yor eyes , you can feel it with your fingers . It is very difficult to make a weld unvisible . And every time I did ask , " Is this frame welded ? " No no , it is made like the original !And if I ask , " How was the original made ? " Silent-silent......
And it was easy to see , all this repro chassis are not made with an expensive tool .

can anyone show a photo how the original was produced ??????????????????????????

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:49 pm 

Are you seriously trying to tell us that the original Royale frames were welded up????

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:06 pm 

Greg Morgan wrote:
Are you seriously trying to tell us that the original Royale frames were welded up????

unfortunately Udo has never seen Gino making a frame....Welding bottles can also provide much heat...AND WITH HEAT STEEL CAN BE SHAPED.We do not call this welding.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:34 pm 

Lazarus wrote:
Greg Morgan wrote:

unfortunately Udo has never seen Gino making a frame....Welding bottles can also provide much heat...AND WITH HEAT STEEL CAN BE SHAPED.We do not call this welding.

Indeed, but you know he is young and he can still learn!
Bugwrench

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:39 pm 

you guys better read my post again .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:42 pm 

Bugwrench wrote:
Lazarus wrote:
Greg Morgan wrote:

Indeed, but you know he is young and he can still learn!
Bugwrench

Well, I am not quite sure if Udolahr is still that young and therefore can learn ... also he seems to have something wrong with his eyes and fingers, as the replica frames known on the market are definitely not welded.
Even a total novice is able to recognize that.

The Argentinian frames are hammered like on the picture Marek posted. This ain´t a PR stunt. You can actually feel that with your fingers. Well, that is only if you haven´t developed horny skin on them from scratching your bum all day long ...

How were the original frames made?
Why don´t you ask your dodgy friends in the Alsace, Udolahr ... they can tell you. Not?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:54 pm 

As promised: Bugantics vol 55 spring 92 page 13 L.G. Matthews states that Fritz Schlumpf - for his Esders recration- had a chassis made by "Alstom, the Belfort manufacturer that had made the chassis for the six existing Royales".

But: I also quickly browsed through Kestler's "Bugatti Royale-le Reve magnifique" and Conway and Hucke but found no reference to Alstom.
So: If it was known - surely they would have mentioned it ?

Not having access to drawings, and never having seen a real Royale - so just a theory: couldn't the Royale chassis been made by cutting a pressed chassis for another type with additional sections welded in ?

Maybe you can settle for now on this theory until someone comes with the undismissable proof ? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:01 pm 

Thank you Bugwrench , this is a very nice compliment .He is young and he can still learn!
Yes , I still can learn ! And I like to learn as much as possible. This is the difference to many other people.
I did investigate the Esders and one original , not the Wheatcroft .
I did ask my dodgy friends in the Alsace ! And belive me , some of my " dodgy friends "have more money for the lawyer compare to you . So you should be more carefull what you write in the internet .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:40 pm 

This is probably the silliest thread I have seen on bugattibuilder.
The Royale chassis was made in the same way every other genuine (and to my knowledge fake) chassis was made - out of one piece of metal! the first I heard of Alsthom making the Schlumpf Esders chassis was in the 1977 book "The Schlumpf Obsession" - Dennis Jenkinson.
I assure you, the Royale chassis wasn't made out of some "patchwork quilt" of surplus chassis floating around on the workshop floor, it was just made from a single piece of 4.5 mm steel ( Prototype 4 mm). Its no mystery I assure you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:45 pm 

This is probably the silliest thread I have seen on bugattibuilder , but it looks like , you like it .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

Today I watched my oldest kid play with some other kids. Although you cannot expect too much interaction between 1,5 year old kids, it was very clear that all kids had very open minds towards each other, and there was a sort of mutual respect.

I really wonder what happened to all of you, ending up the way you did. I can imagine you are all old and wise men. Please do think of a modus in which way to communicate without "acting like kids". These last words between parentheses, as what I witnessed today was how it should be on this forum.

I am closing this thread, the harassing is intolerable. If you have a different opinion than me, please let me know by PM or mail. Easy enough.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2