It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Atlantic #57473
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:47 am 

Can anyone fill in the details on this car? From information gathered on the web, I have:

Quote:
Easily the most controversial Atlantic, this car stayed in France and was sold in to an older couple who promptly sold it back to the factory in 1937. In 1939 the factory again had the car and added additional louvers and an extension of the rear fenders. Its history from that point is uncertain, but the car supposedly suffered a horrible train collision which killed both passengers. The twisted chassis was discovered over 10 years later a recreated body and interior were formed around it. Nicolas Seydoux currently owns #57473. It was last publically seen at the 2000 Villa d'Este Concours.

...and from fellow Bugatti enthusiast Carsten Christiansen:
Quote:
However this is also the "third" and forgotten Atlantic (Actually the second one built) that most people think does no longer exist since the car had a fatal accident in France in 1955! The car was hit by a Renault diesel train in a railroad crossing and was pushed 720 metres along the railroad tracks in front of the train, before this was able to stop....both people in the car was killed instantly! The young female passenger was totally ripped to pieces as the train hit the passenger side of the car. The male driver was decapitated!

My questions are:

1. Who were the occupants of the car when it crashed and what were the circumstances?

2. Who owned the car at that time and how did he/she come to own it?

3. Is the complete ownership chain on this car known?

4. Where were the remains discovered and by whom? How did they come to be there?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by GTE4289 on Fri May 16, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:04 am 

Thanks to Carsten for providing the following response:

Quote:
Hey Wayne;

This car's history is a very complex one, and that is what makes this car the most interesting of the three Atlantics in my humble opinion! I will try and answer your questions as best I can. Should you however, like the whole history of the car, please write me again, and I will try and find some time and write you the complete story to the best of my knowledge!

1. Who were the occupants at the time of the crash and what were the circumstances?

According to the large file of the SNCF (The French railroad company) about the accident, night had completely fallen north of Gien at 10.20p.m. on the evening of 22nd August 1955. The weather was normal, that is clear, and it was calm. The moon had not yet risen but atmospheric visibility was perfect.

Several hours previously Antoine "René" Chatard, 56 years of age, married with two daugthers and living at the Chateau de Rochefort in Rochefort-en-Yvelines south of Paris, told his wife that he wanted to visit his mother. He then actually visited his mother, but did not stay for very long. He then drove the Atlantic to pick up a friend, a young lady named Janine Vacheron (31 years of age).

The two people then went to see Janine's mother, who was on vacation in Hery, in the Departement of the Cher, not far away. At about 8 p.m. after staying with Janine's mother for a short time Mr. Antoine (René) Chatard and his lady friend Miss Janine Vacheron left in the Atlantic in the direction of Paris.

Both people were tragically killed in the accident when the car was hit by a Renault diesel train, crossing an unguarded railroad crossing on the Departement Road 44, one and a half kilometres north of Gien, France on the evening of August 22nd 1955 at 10.20pm. The car was hit by the train traveling 118Km/h and dragged 720 metres along the railroad, before the train engineer was able to stop! The two people were killed instantly. The raiulroad crossing is still there today, and still unguarded!

2. Who owned the car at that time and how did he/she come to own it?

This is a little complicated, but I will try anyway.

In 1952 Mr Chatard wanted to buy the car very badly, but his wife and his daughters didn't want him to buy the car since he already owned three magnificent Bugattis! René Chatard however did not want to give up getting his hands on the car, and he ended up buying the car in the name of a lady friend, Madame Marguerite Schneider! Madame Schneider was at the time of the accident, the legal owner of the car, although the car was only used by Chatard!

3. What exactly happened to the remains following the crash and where was the chassis "discovered 10 years later?"

The remains of the car stayed sequestered by the railroad company and the Police in the courtyard of the Gien train station for nearly ten years, while various lawsuits against the Chatard family and the family countersuits lasted! Finally, about 1965, Madame Schneider, recognised as the legal owner of the car, finally sold the remains to a junk dealer in Gien, where in 1965 a young man (Paul André Berson) found the twisted chassis and all the parts for the car that he then spent arround nine years to reconstitute!

I hope this will have helped you a little! This particular car is without any doubt the single Bugatti that I personally find the most interesting, beautiful and charismatic car ever built!

Please don't hesitate to write me again if you have any more questions! :-)

Very best regards

Carsten

Would anyone care to add comments/remarks? By the way, here is a photo of René Chatard with 57473:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:06 am 

Some more informations:
http://forum.bugattibuilder.com/viewtopic.php?p=651#651

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:22 am 

... and in the new album of the Bugatti Trust, album No19 on the Bugatti Type 57 S :

http://www.bugatti-trust.co.uk/photographs/v/album-19/