It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Simeone Type 57G
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:04 pm 

As mentioned in the other thread, I only had a few minutes to look and take pictures of the Bugatti's. Next time I visit I will coordinate to take more pictures of them and engine bay shots as well.

Really this T57G is amazing. I remember seeing Fred drive it at Monterey a few years ago to the delight of many of us. I'm glad to say it has an owner who understands what he has and isn't going to do a "modern restoration" which would undoubtedly would destroy the uniqueness of this particular Bugatti.

Here are some of the pics:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:05 pm 

Post subject:

Post subject:

Post subject:

Post subject: le mans car
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:32 pm 

Beautiful car,is this the one I saw a couple of years ago at Goodwood? EX Hucke? I love the "autorail" like buffer ! It has for some reason a T73 oil filter body which is of course 5 years too modern for the car !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:02 pm 

Beautiful photos of one of my favorites, surely also because it has a 57S chassis.

Last edited by Uwe on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:45 pm 
Valued contributor

Thank you Mark, as usual your photographs are ravishing. Let us also be thankful for people like Dr. Simeone for making his cars available to you for such close-up photography. Now so many of us can share his historic treasures. Even though this forum is for Bugattis only, I say go ahead and post the photos of the rest of the cars in this collection. For instance, there is a yellow tourer, next to the yellow Ford GT I do not recognise.

Perhaps you can ask Dr. Simeone for his opinion on the right colour for his Alfa 8C2.9 Mille Migglia team car. Paul Russell claims the bright red he painted the ex-Bill Seri car is correct, while the Simeone car is painted a dark wine-red. Who's right?

In any event, thank you very much again for these photos, and an even bigger thank you for sharing them with us.

Kind Regards
Johan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:02 am 

I have to say that I am not convinced by the chassis plate. I have studied these at length and the depth of the characters and the look of the stamped numbers doesnt look quite right to me, oh there I go again, stirring up trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:28 am 
Valued contributor

I believe this to be one of those rare Bugattis where the originality of the car is not in dispute, but the chassis plate's history is! I really should check Laugier's extensive research on this car, but I am sulking because the Post Office can't find my T46! Now, if memory serves correct, this car was fitted in good faith with another chassis plate and number by Uwe Hucke, then someone linked the present chassis number with the car and so the identities were swapped. I'll double check when my mood improves!

But the car itself is pretty original. Incredibly so when compared to some Ferrari Le Mans winners!

Johan Buchner.

PS. Nothing wrong with stirring up a bit of trouble Greg, it adds spice to the debate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:45 am 

I don't doubt the authenticity of this T57G -- Fred has done his homework thoroughly and has all the evidence required with all records needed.

Per the 2.9 Mille Mille racecar? My personal opinion (and from other evidence I've seen) is that the darker color red is more correct. All I am going to say is that I'm glad the ex-Serri Alfa wasn't painted "black".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:57 am 

the most interestng thing is, that the car was one of the few ( maybe the only one), that was in possesion of the bugatti family after the war, that was not bought by the schlumpf brothers ( dobellier). afterwards it spent
several years untouched and unrecognized in a barn of an american collector until uwe hucke bought it.

chears to you uwe and thaks for saving all those historic bugs
mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:27 pm 

Greg Morgan wrote:
I have to say that I am not convinced by the chassis plate. I have studied these at length and the depth of the characters and the look of the stamped numbers doesnt look quite right to me, oh there I go again, stirring up trouble.

The serial number plate of 57335 found together with the firewall and the dashboard holders had the extensions required for G.R. or TT lay-out and some unusual parts were mounted on the inner left side. Mr Beer reported that in 1981, on the occasion of the "Centenaire", he gave the serial number plate to Mr Uwe Hucke who mounted it onto 57S Tank, after Hugh Conway had written the letters "BOC" on the back. It is still on the dashboard of the 57S Tank, which we think should have the number 57455.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Mark, absolutely great pictures for which I am very grateful.

As you can read, next time take a screwdriver with you, and check the back of the plate. That would be fun... :lol: (of course I am kidding, but the idea is not so bad.)

The "Autorail buffer" is an extension on the rear sides, which the jack slots in. Time saver at races!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:35 pm 
Valued contributor

Bad idea Herman, very bad! Dr. Simeone may be generous to a fault, but unscrewing the chassis plate, even for research purposes, of the only surviving T57G will cause a total sense of humour failure, and I mean TOTAL!

Having said that, perhaps if Mark were to ...... no, no, no, NO!! Bad idea, very bad idea!!!!

Johan.

PS. How about an angle-grinder and the Lauren cars? Now that's a good idea.