It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:58 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Bugatti retrieved from Lago Maggiore after 70 years!!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
ASCONA – Giace da una settantina d'anni sui fondali del Verbano davanti al Borgo di Acsona, a una profondità di oltre 50 metri, la Bugatti d'epoca che verrà recuperata domenica mattina verso le 10.30. Per marcare l'evento verrà organizzata una festa sul lungolago. Il recupero di questa vettura storica è stato voluto dal Centro sport subacquei salvataggio Ascona (CSSS) in collaborazione con la ditta di Lavori subacquei Boerlin SA. L'operazione è dedicata alla memoria di Damiano Tamagni e parte dell’eventuale ricavato del recupero del veicolo sarà devoluto alla Fondazione Tamagni per finanziare opere di prevenzione e di sensibilizzazione contro la violenza giovanile.

Source: http://www.cdt.ch

Babelfish:
Quote:
ASCONA - It lies from a settantina d' years on I found them of the Verbano in front of the Village of Acsona, to a depth of beyond 50 meters, the Bugatti d' age that will come recovered Sunday morning towards the 10.30. In order to mark l' event will come organized a festivity on the lungolago. The recovery of this historical car has been intentional from the Center underwater sports rescue Ascona (CSSS) in collaboration with the company of underwater Intense activities Boerlin KNOWS. L' operation is dedicated to the memory of Damiano Tamagni and gained part of the eventual one of the recovery of the vehicle will be devolven to the Tamagni Foundation in order to finance works of prevention and sensitization against the juvenile violence.

And:

Quote:
ASCONA - Erano moltissime le persone radunatesi stamattina al bordo del lago ad Ascona per festeggiare il buon esito delle operazioni di recupero della Bugatti d'epoca che da 70 anni giaceva a 50 metri di profondità. Auto che è riafforata grazie al Centro sport subacquei salvataggio Ascona (CSSS) in collaborazione con la ditta di Lavori subacquei Boerlin SA. Il recupero è stato dedicato a Damiano Tamagni, e l'eventuale ricavato che si trarrà sarà versato alla fondazione che porta il suo nome.

Source: http://www.cdt.ch

Babelfish:
Quote:
ASCONA - The persons were very many assemble stamattina to the edge of the lake to Ascona in order to celebrate the good outcome of the operations of recovery of the Bugatti d' age that gives 70 years lay to 50 meters of depth. Car that is riafforata thanks to the Center underwater sports rescue Ascona (CSSS) in collaboration with the company of underwater Intense activities Boerlin KNOWS. The recovery has been dedicated to Damiano Tamagni, and l' eventual gained that it will be drawn it will be poured to the foundation that door its name.

Youtube video:

Pictures:

Thanks to Bugatti91 for posting!!!

Questions:
-type
-framenumber
-chassisnumber
-why???
-future

Post subject: Re: Bugatti retrieved from Lago Maggiore after 70 years!!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:28 pm 

What an exciting underwater find! It appears to be a T23 Brescia. With about 12 seconds to spare in the video, as the car comes out of the shadows, into the sun, you can see the 4 exhaust manifold pipes as well as the steering column matching up with the rear crankcase arm, implying an integral, post chassis no. 1612 Brescia model. I can't wait to hear more!
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:01 pm 

is it correct that it's a T23 s/n 2461?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:52 pm 

This is really such an interesting find,I would love to know just how long it has been known about.How did it get into the lake? I wonder if it had a crash on the right hand side.Was that why it was dumped in the lake,or did it fall in? I have been wondering what I would do with it,Apart from the bronze items such as the oil and water pumps I feel that it would not really be restorable.I love the gauges still readable after all that time.I think that this car should be displayed as found,rather like the bomber in the Hendon museum,displayed as it was found on the bed of the lake.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:00 pm 

a friend of mine was there when they pulled it out, i saw some of his shots already & he was as close as that camera guy in that video
he says there are a few different stories on what happened altough not a single "official" one so far nor any confirmations of the ones that he heard

Post subject: Car 2461.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:15 pm 

A type 22 with engine 870 fitted with a Solex carburettor, twin magnetos, a 12x45 rear axle and Michelin tyres which was delivered to agent Chèvre in Nancy (F) on 22nd April, 1925. The car was subsequently fitted with engine 1168 from car 2761(which is assumed to have been broken-up). In 2006 the car was listed with Minoru Kawamoto in Japan who has owned it since the seventies. (See “Bugantics” Vol. 42, No.1 p.11 showing the car competing in the 1978 Macau Grand Prix. It is said to have acquitted itself well despite a leaking block).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:48 am 

The car of Minoru Kawamoto was the 2260

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:37 pm 

According to the Coachbuild,com website, the coachbuilder is unknown. A badge of Emaille - Nopez or Norez is fitted to the body. According to a German enthusiast I am emailing, Emaille is a French first name. I have googled Nopez and Norez and they are both last names. I also googled Nopez and Norez as towns in France, Germany and Switzerland and found no results for those searches. So who is Emaille Nopez or Norez? Pico

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:19 am 

Pico wrote:
According to the Coachbuild,com website, the coachbuilder is unknown. A badge of Emaille - Nopez or Norez is fitted to the body. According to a German enthusiast I am emailing, Emaille is a French first name. I have googled Nopez and Norez and they are both last names. I also googled Nopez and Norez as towns in France, Germany and Switzerland and found no results for those searches. So who is Emaille Nopez or Norez? Pico

Emaille is not a french first name.Email is enamel in french.So an enamel badge with Nopez or Norez seems more likely.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

Pico wrote:
So who is Emaille Nopez or Norez? Pico

Reminds me of: "Who is "General Failure". And why is he reading my harddisk?"

and the answer: He's dishing out Corporal punishment while putting you in Major Pain while you suffer under exposure of Private parts.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:18 pm 

I've tried to use photo editor on the picture in which the "emaille" badge is visible.
When I switch one of the Colour channels off (Red-Green-Blue) the picture looks different:

I think the 2nd word could be NORAT, ROBAT of RORAT.
Could this Emaille (Or Emaill'e as I read it) be a (former) Car dealer or Garage ?
Maybe there are other formum users with more advanced photo editing software ?

regards Bart

Attachments:
ascona6.jpg
ascona6.jpg [ 8.52 KiB | Viewed 17609 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:51 pm 

I'm certain that is an "N". Here's a closeup pic. Pico

Attachments:
img05pop.jpg
img05pop.jpg [ 257.27 KiB | Viewed 17605 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:59 pm 

Is that the word "au" under Emaille? Or am I making it up? "Enamel with Nopez (or Norez)" doesn't make sense. Pico

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:52 pm 

Surely NOPAZ.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:59 pm 

That's correct! It has an "A" in it. But Nopaz or Noraz? But who or what is Nopaz - Noraz? Do any of our French members have any idea? Pico