It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Bugatti T57S Atlantic Reappears at Pebble Beach
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:33 pm 

See here : http://www.velocetoday.com/archives/10032#more-10032

Post subject: Re: Bugatti T57S Atlantic Reappears at Pebble Beach
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:43 pm 

Scuderia CC wrote:

The Yanks,don't you just love em ! :P :lol: :lol: :lol: "The complicated judging system does not allow it to be entered in Pebble Beach".......this can be translated roughly as they try not to accept fakes in their concours.A man buys half a car,all smashed and damaged-makes two replicas from the mess,and someone buys both and makes a third replica from both.Or have I got it wrong? And wasn't "Creme de Menthe" the independant suspansion T57 of Jean Bugatti?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:11 pm 
Valued contributor

Due to my great fear of causing offense I have been holding off commenting on this 'announcement' since Peter Vack sent me the link to Veloce.com but I can stay silent no more (those who regard me as foul-mouthed and arrogant may wish to brace themselves now) so without any further ado : This Atlantic may not be quite as original as the other two.

Thank you for listening to me.

Kind Regards
Johan Buchner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:21 pm 

Johan Buchner wrote:
Due to my great fear of causing offense I have been holding off commenting on this 'announcement' since Peter Vack sent me the link to Veloce.com but I can stay silent no more (those who regard me as foul-mouthed and arrogant may wish to brace themselves now) so without any further ado : This Atlantic may not be quite as original as the other two.

Thank you for listening to me.

Kind Regards
Johan Buchner

God Bless you Johan,you are a breath of fresh air,in an otherwise putrid world.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:32 pm 

Bugatti T57S Atlantic reappears at Pebble Beach :?:

Bugatti T57S Atlantic REPLICA reappears at Pebble Beach :!:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:17 pm 

Uwe wrote:

Voila ! Just like the T43 that I built out of a collection of odds and ends for Mr Hanower which now seems to have a history going back to the middle ages with a chassis number 43186 ! see this months "retroviseur" magazine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:28 am 

Lazarus wrote:
Uwe wrote:

Voila ! Just like the T43 that I built out of a collection of odds and ends for Mr Hanower which now seems to have a history going back to the middle ages with a chassis number 43186 ! see this months "retroviseur" magazine.

Hanower or Robin Hanauer (UK)

see: http://www.bugattiregister.com/wiki/ind ... 43186%27-R

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:26 am 

Article of this replica by Paul Russell “Restoring History: My Insights on Resurrecting a Bugatti Atlantic” :

http://www.paulrussell.com/articles/Res ... istory.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:11 pm 
Valued contributor

Thank you ever so much for this link Scud, it makes for fascinating reading. Paul Russell is a fine author and a great restorer of cars (He does believe, however, that a car can be restored back to original, which proves beyond any doubt that Paul Russell is indeed the spawn of Beelzebub, obviously) but as a historian I find him unconvincing.

I maintain, correctly so I believe, there are simply too few original components left to call this a restoration. How about : Replica incorporating some original components.

I find accurately described vehicles so very soothing to the soul. Don't you find?

Kind Regards
Johan Buchner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:38 am 

maybe you will bann me for the rest of my life, but who started this all?
the BoC with manufactoring frames, chassis etc, that bugs could be recreated with only an original axle, or head, steering column etc.
as far as I remember, there is a T55 with only an front axel, radiator and some small
parts around.....
for the atlantic I find it interesting, that some of the original bodypannels survived ofer these decades. reminds me of some photos of record braker "babs" when dug up
and puzzled together.

so I ask you, whats better, to snatch an original body and create an aerolythe, or
rebear the atlantic with original parts??
I really dont know.

kind regards
mike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:36 am 

same discussion here:
http://www.prewarcar.com/magazine/previ ... ntics.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:45 am 

Johan Buchner wrote:
I find accurately described vehicles so very soothing to the soul. Don't you find?

Kind Regards
Johan Buchner

I find it appeasing to the mind. Surely it would have been easier if she could have repaired itself as "Christine", the character in the John Carpenter's movie :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:11 pm 
Valued contributor

Jaap Horst once wrote words to the effect that there are more to Bugattis than just chassis numbers. An astute observer our Mr. Jaap Horst.

The first time I saw a photo of the Seydoux Atlantic (I've read somewhere that Paul Braque had a hand in this ressurrection as well - true?) I thought it even more beautiful than EXK 6. And M. Seydoux, to his credit, never felt the need to add a chassis plate stamped 57473.

I suspect when it is shown at Pebble Beach I will still think it a very beautiful car, and I will most definitely still feel smugly superior to all involved in this unspeakably vulgar farce.

Kind Regards
Johan Buchner

PS. Mike you cannot be banned for blaming the BOC ; not blaming the BOC might. I just needed to make that clear.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:55 pm 

One thing to note -- at least the owner and restorer are rolling it in and not playing games as to its history and provenance. Glad to see they are generating some interest in it (and generating publicity for Pebble Beach and Bugatti's in general) and displaying it in pre-crashed modified coachwork configuration that it last wore.

Imagine the discussions to be had if it was rolled onto the grass and declared "100% authentic and restored" to original configuration and being judged for competition. I know the judges heads would be spinning and the proverbial nightmare would ensue without question. It would be ugly. (one judge in the class that I know well is very thankful it isn't being judged)

Thus hopefully the owner enjoys his unique Bugatti with interesting history and actually uses it on the road as intended and participates in upcoming Bugatti events with it as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:12 pm 

Thanks Johan for quoting me, and yes, in my opinion chassis numbers are much overrated. It seems that some people forgot that Bugattis are about fun, not value (unless you own one that you want to sell).

As for this Atlantic that has now been restored for the nth time; I haven't seen it yet, but I did see it in one of the former shapes (which I guess will still be the same), and must admit that the different front and rear of the car, compared with the other Atlantic's does appeal.

Furthermore, as said above, nobody tries to sell it as something different than it really is; a 80% new car, with a few parts of the original cars, which was owned by the driver's mistress, while he drove another mistress around in it (what am I doing wrong?).

However, somehow I have the feeling that with each restoration or rebuild, more of the original soul of the car is lost, even when new original parts are added (kind of a confusing phrase that last one, I don't know how to put it otherwise).

For me, it's interesting that this car continues to be restored. It would of course really be a novelty if somebody would unearth that 4th Atlantic from some barn somewhere around Bordeaux.