It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: STOLEN BUGATTI PARTS
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:42 am 

I have been told that someone in england has put an original early T73c/73 supercharger and new castings and gears for sale in the Bugatti magazine.These parts belong to ME and were given by me to Michael Hope at Brineton Engineering for machining work.After the price was agreed for the work and the work started,Mr Hope increased the price by 50 % and I stopped the work.I have heard nothing from him for 18 months and he has made no attempt to contact me to inform me of his intention to sell my parts.If what I have heard is correct,potential buyers should be aware that these parts are being STOLEN.If anyone has any further information please contact me.John Barton.

Post subject: Re: STOLEN BUGATTI PARTS
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:52 pm 

increased the price by 50 % 8)
after you did stop the work , why did you not ask to send the parts back to you , and wait 18 months ?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:08 pm 

Udolahr wrote:
increased the price by 50 % 8)
after you did stop the work , why did you not ask to send the parts back to you , and wait 18 months ?

I was being asked to pay £7500 for HALF the work.Having agreed a price of £10.000 for ALL the work.I waited for Mr Hope to do the decent thing and finish the job for the AGREED price.He told me that it would cost AT least £15.000 and maybe more.I cannot support such an open ended arrangement.Very few people would accept such dishonesty.I don't,and don't expect others to do so either.He should not have started the work if he was not able to keep to the price agreed.I would then in any event have had to find someone else to finish a half done job.I was then lucky to find an honest man who did the job for the agreed price.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:54 pm 

Thanks God we have internet today, if something happens, the information goes very fast around the world .And very dangerous if one tries to sell stolen parts or stolen cars.
Can you tell me what kind of work it was for 10 000 or 15 000?
If you need any help with castings and machining let me know .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:34 am 

Udolahr wrote:
Thanks God we have internet today, if something happens, the information goes very fast around the world .And very dangerous if one tries to sell stolen parts or stolen cars.
Can you tell me what kind of work it was for 10 000 or 15 000?
If you need any help with castings and machining let me know .

You are right Udo.You are also very kind.The job was to machine two supercharger casings and two small bellhousings to mount them.Then to assemble all parts.Not too difficult a job.Fortunately a better man was found.The T73c project now has a new "head of station!" After nearly thirty years I have passed the baton on to a younger man. The latest rolling road tests of the T73c engine are quite extraordinary.You should go to Goodwood next weekend to see one racing.... I have moved on to the T251 project,this is a job you would love.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:45 am 
Site Admin

But how can the other machinist machine the parts, if they are still at Brineton? Or did you have multiple castings?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:56 pm 

Why didn't you start some kind of legal procedure against him/his company ?
Was there anything on paper or just a gentleman's agreement ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:41 am 

barttore wrote:
Why didn't you start some kind of legal procedure against him/his company ?
Was there anything on paper or just a gentleman's agreement ?

I have of course multiple castings :wink: and have the patterns,It was of course a gentlemans agreement,fatal in this case,but not the first problem with this person...Tom Dark did the machining for me for £1200.There is such a big difference between £1200 and £7500 wouldn't you say?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:16 am 

I just cannot see why anyone would wish to use them. :?:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:50 am 

What about the stolen Bugatti Type 5 in England , who can use it ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:21 pm 

Udolahr wrote:
What about the stolen Bugatti Type 5 in England , who can use it ?

I spoke with Richard Day in July, never anything was heard about it.

The T5 was probably just sold as scrap, and the van sold somewhere in Poland or Rumania...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:01 pm 

Lazarus wrote:
If what I have heard is correct,potential buyers should be aware that these parts are being STOLEN.If anyone has any further information please contact me.John Barton.

It is impossible to give someone something and then claim that it was stolen from you. Try filing a police report for theft and show the police your registered postal letter demanding the parts back. While you are at it , you should show them your agreement in writing of the professional estimates, and your refusal for the repair. In your agreement when you dropped off the parts, you better have the wording that the parts can not be sold, bartered or exchanged by the custodian mechanic. If you haven't done all that in a timely fashion or if you failed to write even a formal letter , the parts could be sold . Reducing your claim to a theft will be nearly impossible. So, try claiming in a Civil Case against the mechanic. If you win, the parts are still not yours if they were sold - as expressed mechanics liens may apply. If the mechanic you gave the parts to sells them to someone at fair market, you would have to pay to get them back the full price they sold for, PLUS the improvement. Then you can claim against the mechanic . He could sue you for storage and the work he performed also in his Civil answer. Best to give the mechanic a call and tell him there is a misunderstanding. Likely a better move - ego aside.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:27 pm 

onebugatti wrote:
Lazarus wrote:
If what I have heard is correct,potential buyers should be aware that these parts are being STOLEN.If anyone has any further information please contact me.John Barton.

It is impossible to give someone something and then claim that it was stolen from you. Try filing a police report for theft and show the police your registered postal letter demanding the parts back. While you are at it , you should show them your agreement in writing of the professional estimates, and your refusal for the repair. In your agreement when you dropped off the bugatti parts, you better have the wording that the parts can not be sold, bartered or exchanged by the custodian mechanic. If you haven't done all that in a timely fashion or if you failed to write even a formal letter , the parts could be sold . Reducing your claim to a theft will be nearly impossible. So, try claiming in a Civil Case against the mechanic. If you win, the parts are still not yours if they were sold - as expressed mechanics liens may apply. If the mechanic you gave the parts to sells them to someone at fair market, you would have to pay to get them back the full price they sold for, PLUS the improvement. Then you can claim against the mechanic . He could sue you for storage and the work he performed also in his Civil answer. Best to give the mechanic a call and tell him there is a misunderstanding. Likely a better move - ego aside.

Hi,i got this thread upon searching about civil case against your mechanic.. My brother is in the same situation and we're thinking about what can we do about it.. i was wondering what happened to this? what actions were done? thanks..