It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Bugatti T59 LPG 211 color
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:09 pm 

I want to build the LPG 211 car as a 1:18 scale model based on the Bburago diecast, with the road-going wings and headlights as it appeared circa 1960.

The only color pictures of the car at that time look to me like the paint is a metallic blue, which would be quite unusual. Does anyone know if the paint was, indeed, metallic? If not, which of the specific Bugatti colors would it be?

Post subject: Re: Bugatti T59 LPG 211 color
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:04 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:01 am 
Valued contributor

Another metallic-paint romantic! I too had a wonderful time trying to discover if the Pope Atlantic was indeed a dark metallic blue - found out it was not, merely the ageing of photographs giving an illusion.

LPG 211, as best I can tell, was painted a close approximation of traditional Bugatti blue by the same owner who fitted the road-going equipment. Kindly note this is merely an observation on my part and must not be seen as proof.

Recently Mick Walsh wrote a brilliant article on this car in Classic and Sports Car ; when I get home tonight I'll see whether he wrote anything on the colour.
Good luck with this project ; the Bburago is just crying out for a set of decent wheels, but how that can be achieved is beyond my ability. When done please share with us.

Kind Regards
Johan Buchner

PS. I think the Bburago might, I repeat might, be close to the original colour.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:32 pm 

Johan Buchner wrote:
Another metallic-paint romantic! I too had a wonderful time trying to discover if the Pope Atlantic was indeed a dark metallic blue - found out it was not, merely the ageing of photographs giving an illusion.
Kind Regards
Johan Buchner

But at what time :lol: This car has been painted 3 times in blue...
Original by Pope (Dark saphir), by Price (French blue) after accident, and by Bamford (Blue saphir) ?
Kind Regards

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:42 pm 

Johan Buchner wrote:
Good luck with this project ; the Bburago is just crying out for a set of decent wheels, but how that can be achieved is beyond my ability. When done please share with us.

There is a Transkit of Ruby

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:41 pm 

I have been very grateful for the knowledgeable responses I have received on this subject. A few notes:

• Gap05 is correct about the paint of the Pope Atlantic, according to the L. G. Matthews book on the Atlantics. {Paul Russell, who repainted the car black for Ralph Lauren, said he received the car in a dark French blue, but when he removed that paint he found a deeper sapphire blue that appeared to be original.)

As for the T59, I think Johan is probably correct about the Bburago color being reasonably accurate. This also leads me to believe that the 1/24 Bburago Atlantic (Pope) is probably close in its blue version, though the interior should be a cream/biscuit color. Unfortunately, I can't afford any of the amazing and very accurate Atlantic diecasts that are out there for hundreds of dollars.

• I am also grateful to Andrew Reilly, curator of the Mullin Automotive Museum in California, for giving me several leads in my research (notably to a page on this forum with a gallery of 20 pictures of this car in its various forms). Interestingly, his museum is currently displaying the Rothschild Atlantic which sold recently for over $35 million USD; I had thought that Mullin purchased it (after all, they purchased quite a bit of the Schlumpf collection), but Mr. Reilly informed me that it is on loan from the buyer, whose identity is confidential.

• Additionally, I received gracious help from Gerald Wingrove, who sent me an article on his scratch-built 1/15 Type 59, spotlighting his method for building the piano wire wheels. His build can be seen at his website, http://www.geraldwingrove.com.

And yes, those wire wheels will be the biggest challenge, though Mr. Wingrove said they were much easier than making typical wire wheels. Looking at the photo reference I've gathered and comparing it to the Bburago diecast, I can see that I will also have to create all-new brake drums to the proper size and detail. This is beginning to look very intimidating. Uwe– do you have a link to the transkit wheels? That might serve as good reference.

Thanks again for all your help. I'm pleased to have joined this forum.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:44 pm 

sjordan47 wrote:
Uwe– do you have a link to the transkit wheels? That might serve as good reference.

:wink:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2041

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:46 pm 

One more thing: The Ludington 59 as shown above appears to have a gray or metal finish on the underside of the fenders/wings. Does anyone have any insight about which color that should be?

Yet one more thing: There appears to be some sort of badge on the crossing of the wing supports in front of the radiator in the color pictures, while it appears at the lower portion of the frame crossbar in the historic photo. Can anyone tell by its shape what that is?

Is this it?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Yes, that is the one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:52 pm 

I've been living out of boxes in my recently acquired apartment, and I finally found some more reference on this from my stored materials: A book called "The Treasury of the Automobile" by Ralph Stein. It features this car in the Bugatti section, and it clearly shows that the proper color would be close to the lighter Bugatti blue typical of the T35. I had forgotten that there was an engine picture, and I was surprised to see the Bosch-style horns on the firewall (talk about big honkers).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:08 am 

See this picture; the position of the badge has been different also, mounted on the front cross bar, not on the X.

Attachments:
lpg211.jpg
lpg211.jpg [ 26.23 KiB | Viewed 9953 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:22 pm 

J.J.Horst wrote:
See this picture; the position of the badge has been different also, mounted on the front cross bar, not on the X.

Yes, you can see it in that position in the picture above of the car at speed. Thank you for your picture – I haven't seen that one. Do you have others?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:31 pm 

sjordan47 wrote:
I've been living out of boxes in my recently acquired apartment, and I finally found some more reference on this from my stored materials: A book called "The Treasury of the Automobile" by Ralph Stein. It features this car in the Bugatti section, and it clearly shows that the proper color would be close to the lighter Bugatti blue typical of the T35. I had forgotten that there was an engine picture, and I was surprised to see the Bosch-style horns on the firewall (talk about big honkers).

One would imagine that these horns are somewhat unecessary given the noise of a T59 engine.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:09 pm 

sjordan47 wrote:
J.J.Horst wrote:

Yes, you can see it in that position in the picture above of the car at speed. Thank you for your picture – I haven't seen that one. Do you have others?

Sorry, I don't have more.

Just found this one today on Ebay (was for sale...)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:51 pm 

One would imagine that these horns are somewhat unecessary given the noise of a T59 engine.[/quote]

: D
While there is very little available in pictures of the left passenger side of this car, the exhaust pipe and resonator appear to be wrapped in cloth for about 1/3 of the pipe's length to reduce noise, or maybe to reduce heat. That, the horns, the wings and headlights would indicate to me that Mr. Ludington was more interested in using this car as a (somewhat) civilized road-going vehicle rather than for racing.