It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:44 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: T57 Technical information
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:51 am 

Bugwrench wrote:
Lazarus wrote:
Udolahr wrote:
after welding ( not gas welding ) inside the cup , you can take it off easy .

I have owned four T57 cylinder blocks, every one of which had damaged cylinderheads where people had tried to remove the plug cups.A repair cup loosely fitted inside the original with a modern Locktite is the safest way to sort out this problem.

I do support Lazarus here. The Udo method has a guaranteed 50% failure rate. Never ever try to pull the old cup out but machine it out. There is a very useful T57 workshop manual available form the BOC that describes three different methods for repairing these leaks. Although this manual has been written a long time ago it still contains a lot of good general information about the T57 engine.
Do follow the suggestion of Lazarus if you have only one minor leak and you are reluctant to disassemble of the engine.
Bugwrench

Hi,

I don't see a reason to disassemble the engine for the moment as it just runs perfectly, the compression is excellent and even on all cylinders, no suspicious noise, the oil was clean at the oil change without any chips in the filter and the engine was supposed to be rebuilt a while ago before we acquired the car, whatever rebuilding means to some people.
I guess that I will turn new cups if there are no insert cups existing on the market and follow your advice.
Would you suggest machining the lower bottom of these cups with an M18 spark plug threat allowing them to be screwed into the plug hole or would you fit them with a separate plug fitting?

Greetings:

minime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:47 pm 

Minime, you have a PM
Bugwrench

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:49 pm 

the Udo method is not from Udo . It is from Erik Koux . I look if I still have a example and show you a foto .
My experience, this manuals are worthless . What kind of info can you use ? Show me any info in this books I can use and not allredy know without this books???????????????????????????
If you need a book for these simple pre war engines you better do not touch them

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:38 pm 

Udolahr wrote:
the Udo method is not from Udo . It is from Erik Koux . I look if I still have a example and show you a foto .
My experience, this manuals are worthless . What kind of info can you use ? Show me any info in this books I can use and not allredy know without this books???????????????????????????
If you need a book for these simple pre war engines you better do not touch them

As usual I very much disagree but I will not challenge the moderator so be very happy with your opinion. But only one remark: a general statement like "these manuals are worthless" without even mentioning a title or description has very little added value for the readers of this Forum.
Bugwrench

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:19 pm 

I must not mention a title , I talk about all .
I ask again , " What kind of info can I use ? Show me any info in this books I can use ?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

Lazarus wrote:
Udolahr wrote:
after welding ( not gas welding ) inside the cup , you can take it off easy .

I have owned four T57 cylinder blocks, every one of which had damaged cylinderheads where people had tried to remove the plug cups.A repair cup loosely fitted inside the original with a modern Locktite is the safest way to sort out this problem.

I read in Bugantics that a guy used stainless egg cups, which had a near-perfect fit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:03 pm 

Erik Koux for example .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:38 pm 

So, luckily Erik Koux's method was not written down in a manual as it would immediately disqualify as un-useful. :wink:
I have quite some mechanical background too and often I think that repair instructions I read are common sense but I have no problem to check all available information when I have to do a job I never have done before.
What if the cup was screwed in place and not pressed?
It's not obvious and not visible from outside for someone who never had to remove it.
In this case a manual or a drawing can pretty well be helpful and why wouldn't a method that was applied those times not be applicable today anymore?

Greetings:

minime

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:04 am 

if it helps

Attachments:
Bugatti 57 cup.jpg
Bugatti 57 cup.jpg [ 118.28 KiB | Viewed 7041 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:52 pm 

minime wrote:
So, luckily Erik Koux's method was not written down in a manual as it would immediately disqualify as un-useful. :wink:
I have quite some mechanical background too and often I think that repair instructions I read are common sense but I have no problem to check all available information when I have to do a job I never have done before.
What if the cup was screwed in place and not pressed?
It's not obvious and not visible from outside for someone who never had to remove it.
In this case a manual or a drawing can pretty well be helpful and why wouldn't a method that was applied those times not be applicable today anymore?

Greetings:

minime

I suspect that this area of the head was weak even when new.However,corrosion and small stress cracks due simply to normal useage over 60 odd years or more must weaken rather than strengthen the blocks.Workshop manuals can be very useful for reminding one of details like clearances etc.I would always read up on a job before attempting it.I must add however that I recently tried to use the official Jaguar Factory manual for my XJS convertable.Quite quite hopeless.It must have been written by a man who had never seen either a spanner or a Jaguar in his life.I wonder in fact if english was his first language.

Last edited by Lazarus on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:09 pm 

official Jaguar Factory manuals are all like this .
But , what clerances do you need from a manual printed prewar ?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:15 pm 

Udolahr wrote:
official Jaguar Factory manuals are all like this .
But , what clerances do you need from a manual printed prewar ?

Who says prewar?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:32 pm 

I , this engines are prewar .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:38 pm 

Udolahr wrote:
I , this engines are prewar .

I give up. I suggest you read your own message first before you answer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:41 pm 

good decision 8)
you do not like the question , what clerances and info do you need from this manuals ?