It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: knowledge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:32 am 

Power is knowledge, obtaining it takes loads of time and is actually personal property. It takes, luck and big mistakes to get to the source of correct information. As soon as you start dealing with experts, they have there own theory of what is right and wrong. Often they are wrong , and sometimes right. They are wrong because many of them use misguided facts and mix up information in order to enforce a theory often for another cause – or to defeat a theory proposed in the past from other experts that are now deemed either rogues, dead or the first writings of Bugatti lore. Conway based much of his archives on what people provided him, much was misguided. Once published, it’s believable. That is why auction catalogs are published. It is to induce belief in print. Now that the cars are worth huge money, it’s also in some’s interest to throw things out there that are just not logical when compared to a true unbiased time line. You draw out a time line, a careful mathematic study and all the why’s and why nots. That takes alot of time. No one knows more about Bugatti’s than those out there that have restored them, owned them, and studied them for decades. So when an expert comes to say; this is not right or that is not right - it’s their opinion for a brief moment. I can not imagine an expert coming to look at my car for a few hours and knowing more than I do. It’s their opinion they can offer and sometimes it can be all wrong from pure forensic evidence that is not understand by a historian. Then you have the former owners and investors of any certain Bugatti that did this and that, and hardly many out there were into forensic preservation. Some of the guys out there now make Ray Jones, Lloyd , or Butti to appear boy scouts. But those boy scouts had knowledge, and like it or not, knew the basics from hands on work. Now everyone is trying to figure out what they did ... :P That’s Something that the experts do not have. Now, the passing of information freely is a double edge sword . I guard my files and knowledge fairly carefully. When I dial into someone who is either exchanging a favor of genuine information, or has a sensible approach on the subject, I talk. But now, it is an ego game like never before. One guys discovery can destroy a old-boys club known bag of bits. Here’s where the problem arises. I’ll never forget buying my GP car, the first tap on the back was from a dealer who said ‘’ I was the under bidder on your car’’. It was like Steve McQueen as Thomas Crown saying ‘’you paid to much’’. As my study proceeded on this particular GP car I remember us wanting to cut the front dumb irons off the car as they appeared not right. I woke up the morning of the surgery, ran down to the shop, and said , no , wait! Let’s think about this further. A few years later I discovered photos in 1929 showing the very thing I wanted to correct in a detailed photo of my particular car. All I can say, it takes time to study and changing view points make this Bugatti study infinite . The personalities in the circle keep it interesting, but nothing is 100% without years of reviewing information. In regard to Power , it’s not really that, it’s importance. If one particular guy shares everything with everyone, his worth is less in his one-on-one world. He is less important. He gets less visitors. He is socially less. His knowledge, archives, and expertise are his net worth. Once that is ‘’out there’’ , he’s less important. Better to be a ‘’King for a day, then a smuck for life’’ Keeping knowledge is nothing new, all ‘’ hobbies’’ have this. Why share it all ? And why give it away without an exchange, based on your own values that makes you who you are? I remember talking to Danny Margulies often when I was 18, in his mews. He was brutal, but on occasions he filled my mind with his experience on great cars. I brought him something when I arrived, I developed an exchange. Not many people do that. I have a file folder on an important GP car that I owned decades ago, I kept it because I want to write a story on the research I did. It’s my property, my time, my investment in this future article. It’s not for sharing with an ogre owner who bought the car for an investment. Well, that’s my rant for a Sunday ! And one more thing, don’t ask me for chassis numbers !

Attachments:
Nthing.jpg
Nthing.jpg [ 8.47 KiB | Viewed 6495 times ]

Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Atlantic
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:54 am 

A good story :) :)

Post subject: Re: knowledge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:54 am 

onebugatti wrote:
Power is knowledge....

If one particular guy shares everything with everyone, his worth is less in his one-on-one world. He is less important. He gets less visitors. He is socially less. His knowledge, archives, and expertise are his net worth. Once that is ‘’out there’’ , he’s less important.

Shutting down my websites!

Please take a last look (and download everything!) before it's too late.....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:11 pm 

J.J.Horst wrote:
onebugatti wrote:
Power is knowledge....

Shutting down my websites!

Please take a last look (and download everything!) before it's too late.....

That doesn't apply to you !!! Pleasssseeeee Donnnnnn't do it !!!! You see, many of us don't have a life ! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:26 pm 

that is the problem of forums .People start to live in them . Without the forum, they are nobody .But in a forum they can climb up to be an expert .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:02 pm 

Is it coincidence que je ne peut pas trouver Bugatti Page depuis ce matin ???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:59 pm 

Me too!

Can't connect to BugattiPage or BugattiRevue?

Was Mr. Horst so much pissed off that he shut his sites down?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:32 am 
Site Admin

Cannot connect either. Perhaps I should follow and shut everything down as well? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:32 am 

Quote:
Perhaps I should follow and shut everything down as well? ;)

now that should help protect the endangered species of "real experts" :lol: :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:46 pm 

My sites are back up and running.

All a very convenient coincidence of my sites going down for some technical reason, and this discussion on BugattiBuilder.

I just could not resist the temptation....

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:02 pm 

withdrawal symptoms rule.....
good to see you back .for no other reason but that the site is excellent...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:18 pm 

"onebugatti" has made one of the most insightful posts i have ever seen on this site!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:58 pm 

http://www.wolfsburg-citytour.de/wolfsb ... antic.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:35 pm 

the last years of the car are a nightmare , and just embarrassing .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:12 pm 

It is not really embarrassing at all. It's called- having no soul - a sign of the times. Having that monster on display is precisely the heartbeat that is on record. Recently, I had a chance to drive the new SS Veyron. It is soo fast, it’s like a jet. FACT: Only 5% of the ''new car '' client base of 350 cars (Veyrons) ( sold to date) own a classic car at all, a few own Bugattis, but all in, only 17 of them have classics in the garage . That is only 17 clients of the entire new car ownership cache. A new plan is in the working to make the new owners '' special'' . So, small groups are invited to very elite events, including track time. Problem is, no one is talking to each other at the events. :cry: What we have in our circle of the BOC, ABC, and other clubs is a formula that creates comrades. That is special. I am not sure you can buy that or promote that with the main objective linked to the highest value. When the party is over, these new cars will be out dated like the Ipad 1 and nothing will bind them into a valid art form or any social club. They are a reflection of the times, and those times are changing. Fast, complicated, expensive and expressions of wealth. But you have to think, it's not Ettore here. It’s not the artist, salesman, genius, inventor or even a collector with class. It’s just someone we don’t even know , let alone can relate to. That’s my Sunday rant !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next