It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Exner Bugatti by Ghia, before the one everybody has seen....
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:15 am 

I found a new website to look at called ClassicCarCatalogue and when I looked under Bugatti for the year 1956 I came across

http://classiccarcatalogue.com/BUGATTI%201956.html

which showed a completely unexpected car design under Ghia built Bugattis
that looks sort of Aston Martin crossed with an MGA. So did the webmasters make a complete boo-boo or was this body built first for the chassis that the Exners, father & son,used for the familiar blue Ghia Bugatti that Gen. Lyon displayed for years? I always heard they bought an unbuilt chassis from Ghia...

Say it ain't so, joe...

Post subject: Re: Exner Bugatti by Ghia, before the one everybody has seen
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:17 am 

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:32 am 

And the T125 model from DTD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:30 pm 

HistoryBuff wrote:
I found a new website to look at called ClassicCarCatalogue and when I looked under Bugatti for the year 1956 I came across

http://classiccarcatalogue.com/BUGATTI%201956.html

which showed a completely unexpected car design under Ghia built Bugattis
that looks sort of Aston Martin crossed with an MGA. So did the webmasters make a complete boo-boo or was this body built first for the chassis that the Exners, father & son,used for the familiar blue Ghia Bugatti that Gen. Lyon displayed for years? I always heard they bought an unbuilt chassis from Ghia...

Say it ain't so, joe...

Well, it ain't so. This is no Exner design, or a T101 for that matter. It is a very famous , modified T57s, which later disappeared. Chassis 57385, body by Ghia, that part is correct.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:43 pm 

Thank you. It's always good to check these things out before passing on suspicious info. I can see how website writer on classiccarcataglogue made the mistake. The guy writing the captions finds a picture of a Ghia body on a postwar Bugatti and assumes well, the Exners had a Bugatti done by Ghia, this must be the one. He is probably in some East Block country that doesn't have libraries full of car books like we have in Western Europe and the US so there is no book to consult so they do some guesswork.

And now hope springs eternal that someone will find this car and recognize it as a Bugatti when maybe they were thinking "Why bother to look at that car, it looks like a hokey kit car." In my research on barn finds I have an example of a car with a Devin kit car body that had a valuable chassis underneath, a Ferrari with a racing history. the buyer paid $26,000 for the car on e-Bay but could sell the chassis for $500,000 without a Ferrari engine, body or tranmission and part of the suspension missing.