It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Bugatti accident
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:13 am 
Site Admin

Happened some time ago (1929)

Text:
On the Haarlemmerweg near Halfweg a Bugatti car of Italian make, hit the rear wheel of another car, after which over a distance of some 100 meters derooted some small trees, and crashed completely. One passenger was killed, the other seriously injured. Above the wreckage of the car.

I like the Italian bit...

Of course the usual questions, without consulting the Register:

-who
-chassis number
-fate

Attachments:
Bugatti.jpg
Bugatti.jpg [ 61.61 KiB | Viewed 9045 times ]

Post subject: Re: Bugatti accident
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:13 am 

Occupants:
H. Stam and
Mario Leonassi (victim; died as a result of the accident)
Driver: an Italian racing driver/engineer working for the factory with initials R.T.

There are lots of newspaper reports of this incident availible.
Some even mention a Paiget instead of a Bugatti (Tilburgsche courant 26-06-1929, page 6)
The driver R.T. got 6 weeks prison (minus his prior time) and his license was withdrawn for a year. He was not present at the court case.

On June 28, 1924 was another Bugatti-accident wit car Registration: G. 29347; a KLM Pilot W. Smirnoff hit a Victoria horse coach. Wiki does not know car nor driver.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:58 pm 

Happy new year everybody. Cheers John.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:35 pm 

Thanks, of same :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:56 pm 

I know that after the crash the car was moved to the police office at Admiraal de Ruyterweg in Amsterdam where the youthful Arie and Henk van Ramshorst happened to pass by and saw it. This was before Albatros became importers for Bugatti but apparently the bug had already beaten them. The police station still exsist but all endeavours to fnd out anything from them were in vain.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:23 pm 

Hello from Canada, I am very interested in these posts regarding the 1929 accident in which Mario Lenassi was killed. I am a family historian and Mario is a family member of mine. I searched for over 10 years trying to find information on his death and just recently learned about this crash in the Netherlands. I would be very interested in obtaining copies of any articles relevant to this crash for historical purposes. As far as I have learned, the driver was Roberto Terrasi, a factory engineer, and the other passenger was Herman Stam, a Dutch Bugatti agent. It seems that Mario was a Sales Representative for Bugatti at Molsheim at the time. All were injured and taken to the Tesselschade Hospital in Amsterdam where Mario died of head injuries soon after arrival. Roberto Terrasi was charged in the death and spent 6 weeks in prison, but on appeal in February of 1930, the verdict was overturned and he was released. I would very much like to learn where Mario was buried. Hope someone can provide more information to me. I can be reached by email at: lindycat@hotmail.ca
Thanking you,
Linda Lenassi Tomlin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:32 pm 

Hello Linda,

In this Dutch newspaper archive you will find a lot of reports on the accident and on the court case thereafter:
http://kranten.kb.nl/

Where it says "Voorbeeld: vergaan Titanic" type "Bugatti Haarlemmerweg" and jou wil get 24 results.

also in
http://www.noord-hollandsarchief.nl/kranten/102/456/
below where ist says "zoekopdracht" type Bugatti Haarlemmerweg OR Lenassi and then press "ZOEKEN" (which means search) you will get results

I am at the start of some research of Bugatti-related road accidents so if I find more I will let you know.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:28 pm 

Another accident in NL where a Bugatti driver collided with a pram and the one year old died as a result:
[url]removed[/url]
Is there a sleuth who knows who/which car ?

Edit: als the link does not work anymore: a new one http://leiden.courant.nu/issue/LC/1933-09-30/edition/0/page/11?query=bugatti&sort=issuedate%20ascending

Leidsche Courant | 30 september 1933 | pagina 11 (11/16)

Last edited by barttore on Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:50 am 

Dear All
just had a look again after a long delay. Sorry for the late reply.
The car in question had the license plate 2207NV of Bugatti 43247. It is all in the Dutch newspapers of the time.

Of course you have to be careful concluding from this that it was indeed 43247 as the factory used license plates at will, but it is very likely, especially as the car was driven across borders from Molsheim to Holland and the car was inspected by the authorities after the crash.

The passengers were Roberti Terrassi from Molsheim, fellow Italian citizen Mario Lenassi and Dutch importer Herman Stam

You can read the entire story in the Dutch Belgian Bugatti Register Volume 4 (NLB-IV) which has another 200 or so new cars. You can also read the report of the law suit that led to the break between Herman Stam and Ettore Bugatti as a result of which Stam lost his import business for Bugatti. It will be the last book as books have had their time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:01 pm 

Dear keesj,

Thanks for the information. When will Volume IV of the Dutch/Belgium register be available?

Best regards,