It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Pur Sang replica back on Ebay
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:15 pm 

Seems "#4938" is back on Ebay for sale. This was advertised about six months ago. The ad looks much more refined than the last one. For example, right from the beginning, it is clear that this is not in any way an original Bugatti but rather it is a replica. The previous advertisment was very unclear about the car and indeed the owner didn't even know if it had the roller bearing crankshaft. As far as replicas go, this appears to be a superb example. I, like so many others, get angry when they are advertised as in any way oriinal cars or even allow for some creative pedigree based on ignorance. There are many ads on Ebay that begin with, "I'm selling this for a friend" which means the owner can claim plausible deniability - that he didn't know what was claimed.

Post subject: Pur Sang "REPLICA".
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:30 pm 

English language dictionaries define a "replica" as an EXACT copy of an original.

By this definition NO Pur Sang car is a "replica".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:42 am 
Site Admin

Per Sang...

At least the price is very attractive now. Ah, see it has a reserve... At least I can bid 100.000 then...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:02 pm 

A Crosthwaite and Gardiner T35B replica (honestly listed) sold June 14th for 214500 USD at RM Auctions.

The C&G seems a better buy than Pur Sang #4938 at its 275000 USD "buy it now" price.

For me it remains a shame that the seller still can't muster the courage to name the true manufacturer in the title of his ebay listing. I share the view that there is space in the market for all, but that everything from deliberately ambigous description to outright counterfeit is unacceptable.

Link to the C&G T35B replica:

http://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cf ... &Currency=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:25 pm 

jakey_too wrote:
A...than Pur Sang #4938 at its 275000 USD "buy it now" price.

When offered at eBay 2 times 6 months ago high bids stopped at $ 155.000 and 160.000, reserve not met. This clearly shows how potential buyers value the car - at the same level you can buy a new one from Argentina. So why paying more??