It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Sump baffle
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:14 am 

Types 37 and 40 are prone to oil surge on long left hand bends which throws oil away from the pump pick up.
Does anyone know of a suitable design for a baffle/s to reduce the rate at which the oil is pushed to the right side of the sump?

Post subject: Re: Sump baffle
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:15 pm 

I think Bugwrench may be able to help you with this question.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:30 pm 

Gentry restorations show a modified central oil pick up on there restorations pages along with modified sump baffles that replace the screens http://www.gentryrestorations.co.uk/res ... mageUID=39

It's a good mod they did it to my 35b as well

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:57 am 

Thankyou, a very interesting solution and clearly one for a full-on racing engine. In my case I am reluctant to so seriously alter an original sump by removing the cooling tubes etc. I think I would prefer just to install a vertical baffle between the tubes and I am just looking for guidance as to size, position and the arrangement of holes for such a baffle.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:23 pm 

It's all an individual choice but To me The false tubes look very good and the conversion is a good reversible mod that removes a lot of worry. Like you say it's a race conversion but a lot of people have done it.
Some restorers take out less tubes but give a call to a couple and see which solution you prefer all 3 major uk restorers have there own versions.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:00 pm 

In the past 40 years I have in all T35,37.40 and 43 engines ( I lost count how many) used the method of removing the lower left three tubes on a 20 tube sump and only two on a 10 tube sump. Fit nice shaped dummies to fill the holes. Machine a hole
in the side of the bronze pick-up and silver solder a slightly bent piece of copper tube facing inwards and with the entry downwards.
For racing this mod is a must as curing the surge problem by overfilling (might be good enough for not too fast street use) makes you loose oil through the breathers.
Baffles do not work as because of the tubes there is no room for a sophisticated solution with trap doors (Alfa Romeo SZ and TZ) and just a baffle slowing the flow will also slow the return which you do not want after a long and fast left hander.
Bugwrench

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:20 pm 

OK, I am persuaded that is the way to go. I am most grateful for the help. This is the real value of the forum.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:25 am 

T40 wrote:
OK, I am persuaded that is the way to go. I am most grateful for the help. This is the real value of the forum.

Do not tell Udo!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:32 am 

:roll: