It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:20 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: The battery-powered supercar
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:02 pm 

According to insiders at Molsheim, France, Bugatti has produced an 800-hp electric supercar prototype, which may never be displayed to the public… at least that’s what the sources told AutoExpress.

It’s the shock new machine that looks set to change the way we think about electric vehicles… Bugatti has built an 800bhp battery-powered supercar, Auto Express can reveal.

The working prototype, believed to be based on the chassis of a Bentley Continental GT, features an advanced lithium-ion battery pack and two enormously powerful electric motors – which deliver an awesome 2,200Nm of torque from 0mph.

But while the existence of the newcomer has been confirmed to us by a high-level Bugatti source, it’s still not clear whether the car will ever be displayed to the public.

Insiders at the company have suggested that the model is being prepared solely to demonstrate the technology, and allow engineers to explore the ultimate performance available from electric cars.

According to one driver close to the project, the battery-run Bugatti delivers “absolutely unbelievable” acceleration, way ahead of that provided by other roadgoing vehicles. The problem the company faces is managing the huge amounts of energy discharged during acceleration and required to keep the batteries fully topped up. If the car is used to its maximum performance potential, the charge lasts “a matter of minutes”.

It’s not the first model from the firm to run on battery power. Founder Ettore Bugatti built an electric model called the Type 56, which he used to drive around the factory in Molsheim, France.

The Type 56 was never intended for production, but customer demand forced Ettore to reconsider and build it.

Few examples have survived, although Bugatti’s current president, Franz Josef Paefgen, did bring a copy of the car to the Frankfurt Motor Show last autumn. He drove it on to the stage ahead of the ultra-limited-edition Veyron Gran Sport Sang Bleu, to celebrate Bugatti’s involvement in building electric cars – and possibly pave the way for more in the future.

:roll:

Post subject: Re: The battery-powered supercar
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:29 am 

:-) I knew they were working on a Hybrid / 0 emisson version !! I mean the new Porsche 918 Spyder (hxxp://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/01/pors ... hits-62-m/) does seem to be the right idea of a Eco friendly Super car and I am sure Bugatti have similar plans in the works.

Thank you for the info Pur Sang !

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:46 am 

I guess we will see some very clever mild hybrid supercar as a successor to Veyron in future. I do not think that there will be all-electric supercar from Bugatti as a production model, but they are definitely seeking for the way to combine mind-blowing performance with great efficiency and VAG has plenty of opportunities.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

I have seen some photos of a Bentley with on the pack shelf some sort of structure which can best be described as a "neutron convertor" or anything else "back to the future". I also noticed this car had UK licence plates, not French.......

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:08 pm 

Bugatti EV prototype developed with 800bhp - report

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11005272649 ... p---report