It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

Brand marks of the heat? OK, heat oxidises. But WHAT oxidises?

You are working on a school project, right? I am curious about the outcome. Keep us posted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:21 pm 

Herman wrote:
Brand marks of the heat? OK, heat oxidises. But WHAT oxidises?

You are working on a school project, right? I am curious about the outcome. Keep us posted!

hi i really got this info from a journalist who told me it´s no rust but the dark color comes from the heat of this engine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, but WHAT turns dark? Not the aluminium heat shield.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:50 pm 

Herman wrote:
Yes, but WHAT turns dark? Not the aluminium heat shield.

he told me the alu heat protection turns dark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

It shouldn't do that. I do quite some soldering on a aluminium plate, and that does not turn dark of the heat. Definately not the stains that are visible in the pictures.

The 2 possibilities that I see is that either the aluminium is coated with some coating that cannot withstand the heat, or that some spring washer, used to mount the heat deflector, is corroding. (stainless washers are too soft to make decent spring washers)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:06 pm 

Herman wrote:
It shouldn't do that. I do quite some soldering on a aluminium plate, and that does not turn dark of the heat. Definately not the stains that are visible in the pictures.

The 2 possibilities that I see is that either the aluminium is coated with some coating that cannot withstand the heat, or that some spring washer, used to mount the heat deflector, is corroding. (stainless washers are too soft to make decent spring washers)

hi the point which really makes me unsure is that to some of my questions i got answers from a bugatti dealer or directly from bugatti but till i send them this pic they do not reply to me so i think this is something bugatti really did not want so maybe they plan to replace some parts of the veyron or do you think it´s not so easy to replace this parts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

Should be fairly easy to replace. I do not see a problem in that.

However, I can imagine people to just keep their mouths shut, when some "youngster" comes telling about a rust stain he has seen on their multi-million dollar machine.

Don't worry about that. That's life...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:09 pm 

Don't forget the "rust" was seen on a factory machine and not on a customer machine.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:31 pm 

Pur Sang wrote:
Don't forget the "rust" was seen on a factory machine and not on a customer machine.....

that´s not exactly true as i found a second pic of a costumer model. i still post two pics of different models

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:33 am 

Do you know the number of the car ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:48 am 

Pur Sang wrote:
Do you know the number of the car ?

Hello
sorry no but maybe you can take a look at the next veyron you will see. Do you think this is a big problem for bugatti?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:09 am 
Site Admin

No, I do not think so. Cars corrode. It's that simple. Cars change colour too, they get movement in steering boxes, etc. Even expensive cars.

I have worked on racing Ferarri F40's, and they sometimes were a bitch to work on as well, with corroded nuts, jammed or bent bolts, etc.

They just catapulted Space Shuttle Endeavour into orbit, after not being used for 5 years. Although these utterly expensive Shuttles are kept inside, and in a relatively dry environment, these things undergo a complete restauration before each flight. From used parts they made a mock-up for display purposes. I have seen that, and it looks real battered, with corrosion, dents, discoloration, etc. All because of usage.

Let's celebrate that at least some owners really do USE the car, instead of letting it sit in their garage, out of reach of the public, and collecting dust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:48 pm 

Herman wrote:
No, I do not think so. Cars corrode. It's that simple. Cars change colour too, they get movement in steering boxes, etc. Even expensive cars.

I have worked on racing Ferarri F40's, and they sometimes were a bitch to work on as well, with corroded nuts, jammed or bent bolts, etc.

They just catapulted Space Shuttle Endeavour into orbit, after not being used for 5 years. Although these utterly expensive Shuttles are kept inside, and in a relatively dry environment, these things undergo a complete restauration before each flight. From used parts they made a mock-up for display purposes. I have seen that, and it looks real battered, with corrosion, dents, discoloration, etc. All because of usage.

Let's celebrate that at least some owners really do USE the car, instead of letting it sit in their garage, out of reach of the public, and collecting dust.

hello
but you should not forget that the veyron is maybe produced 2005 when it´s one of the first cars. A VW Golf does not corrode in 2 years but a veron which cost more than 47 vw golfs??? Sorry i cannot understand and agree with you as the veyron is a very high tech machine normally only very expensive materials are used for the production. Do you know a enzo or carrera gt which corrode? A f40 ok but it´s more than 18 years old!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

I worked on the F40's about 15 years ago. Some of them were almost new!

And about the Enzo, and others: They could very well suffer from the same problem. Driving them in the rain a lot, they will very probably also show some corrosion. High tech stuff gets held together by the same low-tech nuts and bolts.

Still, I have not seen a Veyron in the meantime, so I have not had the chance of looking into it. Perhaps it is no corrosion at all. Without seeing it live, I cannot make any final conclusion!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:25 pm 

Herman wrote:
I worked on the F40's about 15 years ago. Some of them were almost new!

And about the Enzo, and others: They could very well suffer from the same problem. Driving them in the rain a lot, they will very probably also show some corrosion. High tech stuff gets held together by the same low-tech nuts and bolts.

Still, I have not seen a Veyron in the meantime, so I have not had the chance of looking into it. Perhaps it is no corrosion at all. Without seeing it live, I cannot make any final conclusion!

Hi hermann
i got the following answer from road and track magazin

What I can see in the pictures is definitly not rust, as it is on top of thermal insulation. I would guess it's just a collection of road dust and dirt. Even the mighty Veyron gets dirty. Mind you it's dirt that's been baked into place from the heat coming from the exhaust cansiters. Which would explain the strange color, and dificulty in trying to clean it off.

Do you think this is true?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next