It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Bugatti books planned
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:55 am 

A new topic on books that are to appear:

By Pierre-Yves Laugier: A book on the Bugatti T51, until 1950 (racing history that is). This will probably be again of the extreme quality known from his book on the T57s. Earlier rumours about him working on a book on the T55 are true: he has all the information, but no publisher. That's why the T51 book comes first.

By Barrie Price / Jean Louis Arbey: A book on the T30 / T38 / T44 / T49, though the work goes slowly due to illness of Barrie Price.

A surprise was to find a completely new book by Amaury Lot on Retromobile, printed in 2006! I haven't seen any adverts for this book anywhere else, and it was for sale on only one stand in the Paris show. General history with drawings by the author, loads of well-known photograps, not much new information. I could not find a way to order it (on the Internet), only copies of his earlier books from 1979 and 1986 appear. It seems that this latest book is more than a simple reprint of the earlier ones.

Following the Bugatti Register, Netherlands / Belgium, will be a second part with over 200 cars that did not appear in the first part. Many of these are from Belgium, amongst others the archive of de Dobbeleer was secured. Authors Kees Jansen, Dick Ploeg and Rick Scholtens.

Following my own book, Bugatti Legends see http://www.bugattipage.com/legends.htm, will be a 3rd edition of the Bugatti CDRom. I have probably over a thousand photographs waiting to be added in the CD, together with a full back-up of the entire BugattiPage and BugattiRevue sites. There are no plans for a follow-up to the Bugatti Legends book, there are plans however for a book on the Bugatti Airplane and Aircraft engines (including the recently discovered T67 V16 engine). It may be that I'll write this book together with Michael Firczuk. Don't count on the book to be ready within a few years, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:39 am 

Hello Jaap :wink:

Thank you Jaap, for all informations. The work of Pierre-Yves Laugier on Bugatti Type 57 S was really excellent I think that it will be the same for his next works. The only defect which was already the case for T57 S will be probably their price, I could not pay me that on Type 57 S, because much too expensive for me. I keep hope of being able to have of it a one day and I hope that it will be the same for these future publications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:49 am 
Site Admin

the new book by Aumary Lot was also advertised on E-Bay. But with not much new information about it, just that it is a re-edition of the Automobiles et Autorails book. However, it differs on some places. It is not clear to me whether there is added info, changed info, or also removed info.
The guy who's name I did not remember, that we met in the restaurant, did a quick comparison.

and there is of course the book about the Bugatti boats, by Martijn Visser...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:03 pm 

The book by Martijn Visser was to appear in March, wasn't it? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:27 pm 

Book about Bugatti’s boating adventures… OK… March OK… this year…… NOT OK…. I thought the deadline was Retromobiel 2006 !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

I thought beginning of March... :o

I even think Retromobile 2006 will be quite a challenge. However, it can be done. (unless you get yourself a girlfriend)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:28 pm 

Even with ten girlfriends Retromobile 2006 will be impossible....

I stated March as a publishing date for the book on the Bugatti boats and Bugatti-engined boats, but I deliberately didn't give a year. A planning for Retromobile 2007, with a little bit of added delay would end in March 2007. A similar planning, but with more delay will give a publishing date of March 2009..... :?

Planning for Bugatti Legends was Februari 2005, at least the delay was within the same year. For the Bugatti CD Rom publishing is easier, so this may still be before June (2006, that is). However, I have to work on the new issue of the Bugatti Revue first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:41 pm 

The conclusion…

Book on Bugatti boats ready at Retromobiel or in March…. Year not know….. At the moment it is not clear if you need Girlfriend(s) to speed things up… or… that they slow things down…. In any case… Help is always welcome…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:31 pm 

"the new book by Aumary Lot was also advertised on E-Bay. But with not much new information about it, just that it is a re-edition of the Automobiles et Autorails book. However, it differs on some places. It is not clear to me whether there is added info, changed info, or also removed info.
The guy who's name I did not remember, that we met in the restaurant, did a quick comparison."

We met in the restaurant and my name is Patrick :D . Though I haven't received my copy of the 2006 edition yet, the text and at least 95% of the pictures seem te be the same as in the first edition of Automobiles et Autorails. PLease note: the original edition plus the later edition 'Sorcier de la Mecanique' are very hard to find nowadays. So: this new edition at 45 euros is definitely value for money. You can order it through www.motors-mania.com/motorsmania/default-MM.asp and he offers it on eBay also.

Kind regards,
Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

Patrick, that's it!! (don't worry about me forgetting. My mind seems to be able to remember 500+ telephone numbers, but names and faces are a real problem...)

Good info on the book! I took a copy on the Retromobile, and I am very happy with that. (of course I had rivaaquarama (Martijn) with me to serve as packing-mule...)

Post subject: Bugatti Register The Netherlands/ Belgium
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:34 am 

Dear All

This mail is in reply to Jaaps first mail about the Dutch Belgian Bugatti Register. With this mail I would like to update you. The book is almost sold out; I still have 11 copies left. I will take these to the International Bugatti Meeting in Germany in a couple of weeks; I hope I will sell them all there. Just thought I'd let you know; if any of you still wants one you have to be fast.

Volume two is scheduled to contain a number of articles on races in in the thirties Belgium by Dick Ploeg, an article about the Bugattis in the possession of the Belgian Royal family (true and would-be), about the Belgian Bugatti agents, a lot of corrections and additional information on cars already there, but also new information on at present amounting to 319 additional cars. These pages will be of a similar setup, but now it will also include the price paid by the agent, the price of the chassis and of the body, all from the original factory documents.

Volume II will first be made available to owners of Vol I, at a considerable discount. We think it the cost will be € 55.- to those owners with the allowance for 'matching numbers'

Kees

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:15 pm 

New book : Bugatti in Argentina
See
http://www.classicdriver.com/fr/magazin ... sp?id=1628

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:23 pm 

I am planning to make a 2nd book, this time on patents. probable title will be Bugatti's Patents or the like. I have a lot of material (hundreds of patents), that I only have to fill into a nice format.

My goal is to make, as with Bugatti Legends, a book that will not be too scientific, but surprising and fun to read.

However, there's still a year or two to go...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

There is a CD with the Bugatti patents. I believe Martijn has it.