It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: brighton speed trials 2009
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:21 am 

I will be attending this event this year after taking last year off due to ill health, I will be returning to help Norman Goodman run his 35B, also Brooklands Museum is running the Napier Railton (John Cobb aero engined car)for a demonstration run after lunch which i shall also be helping with

Post subject: Brighton speed trials 2009
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:20 am 

Do you have any more interesting information about your friend ?

Below is all I have :

GOODMAN, Norman.

The UK owner of a blue type 35B “replica” based on a Gino Hoskins frame; used in competition and running on methanol which he acquired from Ivan Dutton in 1997. The car carried the chassis no BC 104 (issued on 19th July, 1997) and the UK reg. no. SV 7233 (according the UK Bugatti Register 2000 SV 7223). The “new” crankcase carries the no. D 78 S. He competed with the car in sprint events between 1999 and 2009 and his storming start at the Brighton Speed Trials was featured in “Bugantics” in 2003 : B.65/4/65. He has continued to compete at Brighton where he organises the Historic class but in 2007 his runs were spoilt by oiled plugs and lack of air pressure.

Post subject: Re: brighton speed trials 2009
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:01 am 

Norman is a really nice guy and approachable , he lives in central london, recently the car was sick with a water problem this is now rectified, i have been assured that we should be on for some decent runs this year, now my part in all this is as Norman commentates at brighton so he cannot do this and get his car to the start line for the sprint, so after warming the car up via several changes of plugs from soft to hard i take the car to the line for him and he runs from the comentary box to his car to get the last run in the vintage series, Norman is still the current holder of brooklands lap record in his brooklands riley prior to the circuit closing, he ran the Bugatti very sucessfully at colherne speed trials with a terminal speed of 134 mph several years ago ( this was with a main jet held in with araldite glue as it had broken and filled my shoes with methonal ),
Norman has now adapted his cockpit to single seater status by incorporating a metal cowling over the passenger side, this eases air resistance and also stops bits flying around in the cockpit whilst running fast (Julian mazjub had a similar thing on one of his cars) norman only competes in sprints and has shown his car at brooklands in the double twelve and centenery avents, I would like to see the car used more often but with his retirement and family commitments Norman does what he can and enjoys his car to the full

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:23 am 

brooklands marshal wrote:
Norman is a really nice guy and approachable , he lives in central london, recently the car was sick with a water problem this is now rectified, i have been assured that we should be on for some decent runs this year, now my part in all this is as Norman commentates at brighton so he cannot do this and get his car to the start line for the sprint, so after warming the car up via several changes of plugs from soft to hard i take the car to the line for him and he runs from the comentary box to his car to get the last run in the vintage series, Norman is still the current holder of brooklands lap record in his brooklands riley prior to the circuit closing, he ran the Bugatti very sucessfully at colherne speed trials with a terminal speed of 134 mph several years ago ( this was with a main jet held in with araldite glue as it had broken and filled my shoes with methonal ),
Norman has now adapted his cockpit to single seater status by incorporating a metal cowling over the passenger side, this eases air resistance and also stops bits flying around in the cockpit whilst running fast (Julian mazjub had a similar thing on one of his cars) norman only competes in sprints and has shown his car at brooklands in the double twelve and centenery avents, I would like to see the car used more often but with his retirement and family commitments Norman does what he can and enjoys his car to the full

I do not know this interesting man but surely he must be rather decrepit if he holds a brooklands record from before it ceased in 1939? That was seventy years ago,so he must be in his nineties! Hardly likely to be "sprinting" to the startline I would have thought.Clearly there is hope for us all.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:11 pm 

actually i have never been that personel in asking norman his actual age but i know he's past eighty, and if i'm as spritly as he is at his age i will be doing well for myself, as I say "its not how old you are its how old you feel" and as i'm approaching retirement myself i still feel quite young , all you have to do is keep taking the tablets