It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Writing contest for the Bugatti Revue, big prizes!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:45 pm 

Writing contest! Big prizes!

Now possible to enter until January 18!

Just for fun, and of course to convince you to write some interesting reading material, I would like to start a new contest. I'm asking for written articles in this case (Illustrations are welcome!), and I suggest as a subject, the way you personally got hooked on Bugattis. This can be because you received a miniature kit that you built (That was the case for me, I received the Heller 1:24 plastic kit of the T50 profilee, than started reading more about the marque Bugatti, looking in magazines to find more information and so on. ).

However, in your case this may be entirely different. Maybe you just won 500million in a lottery, and the Bugatti just happened to be the most expensive car in the classic car dealer's showroom (I still have dreams about that! The worst dream I had was when I dreamed about riding my own(!) GP-Bugatti (which in reality I don't have, so far the dream was Ok). Then I found that the Bugatti was very slow, and when checking more closely, it turned out that the pedals to control the car were bicycle pedals, and I had to propel the Bugatti myself!). Of course it's also possible that you heard about the new Bugatti Veyron, wanted to know more about it, saw all the old Bugattis on my site and on the rest of the Internet, and fell in love with the old ones instead! In short, the way your first came to know/see/learn about/ride a Bugatti is very personal, and would be very interesting to all other readers of the Bugatti page.

However, this subject is only a suggestion, articles on different subjects (as long as Bugattis are involved) are also welcome.

One of the stories that I read in one magazine or book in the early days, a story that I liked and that always remained in the back of my head, was the story about the Bugatti owner that had painted both sides of his car in a separate color. For many models, eg. the T57Ventoux or Stelvio, the base color is black, with a colored side, usually in blue, red or yellow. So this guy with two differently colored sides would ride the French "Routes Napoleon", which are ruler-straight, but go up and down hill all the time. He would overtake any sporting rider in, what would usually be a slower car than his Bugatti. This driver of the other car would then start chasing the, let's say, red Bugatti, without being able to keep up, naturally. Once over the top of the next hill (and out of sight), the Bugatti driver would slow down to a very slow pace, and let the other driver overtake him. This driver wouldn't probably even pay attention to this very slow, blue car, maybe not even notice that it was a Bugatti. Once the other driver was out of sight over the next hill, the Bugatti driver would accelerate again, overtaking the other driver. This guy would remain absolutely puzzled, as he was being overtaken again by the red Bugatti, which he thought he was still chasing! Especially when the Bugatti driver would do the same trick more times, he would leave the driver of the other car practically thinking he was insane!
Jan Cohen informed me that the man in question was the Parisian Bugatti dealer Lamberjack. For details refer to "un siecle de carrosserie francaise" By Henri Labourdette.

All articles that I receive will be published in a special issue of the Bugatti revue. Please do not think that you're article is not worth reading, the worst thing that can happen is that you don't win first prize! For the language: English is preferred, though I can also except articles in French, German, Spanish and (of course) Dutch. For these articles I can not garantee a translation when I will publish them.

Please send your contribution to J.J.Horst@bigfoot.com Before January 18. I can accept most formats, Word, Txt, PDF etc.

Of course there are big prizes to be won:
First prize will be the brilliant 2008 calendar: Impressioni Di BUGATTI ClassicheFor the runner up there is a choice of either :

the Bugatti CD Rom (3rd edition),
the Bugatti Legends book
the catalogue from the Bugatti exposition in Amsterdam, in the "Beurs van Berlage".