It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: TRIPPEL, Obersturmbannführer Hans.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:35 pm 

With reference to JB's discussions in your French language section of Ettore as a collaborator, the following extract from GCL,s data base might be of interest.

"TRIPPEL, Obersturmbannführer Hans.

The German officer who commanded the occupying troops at Molsheim in 1940. By this time the majority of machine tools had been transferred to Bordeaux. A photograph of Trippel wearing the black uniform appropriate to his rank as a member of the TODT organisation (which was responsible for industrial production in support of the the German war effort) appears in “Bugatti La Gloire” (p.196). The photo, with three others, were taken covertly and show a factory which had obviously been abandoned in great haste. After the fall of France, the machinery which had been taken to Bordeaux was returned to Molsheim and, by the terms of the Armistice, Alsace had become part of the German Third Reich. The factory was declared suitable for war production and was compulsorily purchased with 7.5 million Reichmarks provided by the Luftwaffe Bank. Conway’s analysis in “Bugatti Magnum” (p. 412) is slightly different. He states that “Herr Trippel manufactured munitions for the Third Reich and considered it a just reward for his devotion to the Nazi party to have become the owner and master of this splendidly equipped factory”. He is said to have subsequently fled at the first sign of danger, sabotaging the factory and its equipment as he left. However, Ettore’s collection of historic cars was left undisturbed. Trippel died in 2001 and in the Autumn 2001 edition of “Bugantics” he is pictured at the wheel of an Amphi-Car. Hans-Georg Schmitt commented “now sadly some more questions, asked by Bugatti friends about his friendship with Ettore, will remain without an answer”.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

In the Joachim Kurz book it is said that Ettore was lucky enough to be Italian, as now the factory was bought, and not confiscated...

Post subject: 7.5 million reichmarks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:14 pm 

much as Ettore might have regretted giving up his factory in Molsheim,7.5 million reichmarks was what presumably paid for my T73 and T73c made in Paris.It cannot have been so bad for Ettore as it was for some other motor manufacturers in France.

Post subject: TRIPPEL, Obersturmbannführer Hans.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:32 pm 

Some research into German military documents reveal that in 1943 Trippel was being investigated for financial embezzlement.

One word I didn't understand in the document is "betriesfuhrer" - can anyone translate it for me ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:59 am 

The factory was not bought but paid - Its a big difference !

Betriebsführer = Director

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:53 am 
Valued contributor

This whole debate about whether Ettore Bugatti was a Nazi collaborator or not is a most fascinating facet of his character, and allow me to state quite clearly that I do not know the answer - like so much else about his life, this too is complicated.

Yes, he was paid handsomely for the factory by the Germans, he was an Italian subject after all. But the factory was worth more than the amount he was paid, and what would have happened if he refused? I do not know. And he only returned to Molsheim after the war, he spent the conflict years in Paris.

It was at this Paris location that drivers, workers and other members of the French Resistance regularly met, seemingly with Ettore's freely given consent. I do not know whether Ettore was a member of the Resistance himself, but he was not the one who betrayed them. By the way, I was unaware that Veyron managed to survive and post-war lived in the South of France where he became a very successful entrepreneur (and collector of impressionist paintings). He died there in 1970.

I think Lazarus is right, the money for the factory paid for the development of the T73, and I believe there was a suggestion that the money be returned as part of the deal restoring Molsheim to him post-war. I do not believe this was done. But Ettore had to give up his Italian citizenship and become a citizen of France.

After M. Renault's death at the hands of the "Post-War Resistance" someone remarked : "It is incorrect to say he loved the Germans, he never loved anyone." Perhaps there is something of this in the complex character of Ettore, whatever his feelings about the Germans, or the French, Italians and British for that matter, his greatest love was reserved for himself. As Louis XIV put it : "Après moi, et déluge." (I am pretty sure "et" is the wrong word, but ending with a French quote appeals to my pretentious nature!)

Ettore Bugatti - Still a mystery in so many ways.

Kind Regards
Johan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:03 am 

It'snt a debate about whether Ettore was a Nazi collaborator. He was never a nazi collaborator.
It is localy totally clear. It's not a mystery.
Ettore was Italien and received the cross of the french Légion d'Honneur.
He was thinking like a french. After the war he received the Officer cross of the same Légion d'honneur.
It is completly stupid to speak about a collaboration.

About the factory at the beginning of the war : the factory was empty and the machine at Bordeaux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:43 am 
Valued contributor

I have just done something I have never done before, I have deleted my own post. To Pur Sang, if you have read my offensive reply, I apologise, and indeed I apologise to all who read my outburst. Not only was it not appropriate for this forum, but I also completely misinterpreted Pur Sang's comment that discussing Ettore as a possible collaborator is stupid. Having reread his comment, I think what he is saying is that there is no evidence that Ettore was a collaborator. I misunderstood and reacted out of all proportion.

Again, I apologise.

Johan Buchner

Post subject: returning the dosh
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:02 pm 

I cannot believe that there could have been any suggestion that Ettore returned the money,why should he and to whom? The Germans? I think that they had other more pressing concerns in 1946/7.I prefer to think perhaps as Ettore did that it was "rent" paid by an unwanted and undesirable tenant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:13 pm 
Valued contributor

It was something I read in the Matthews book, and if memory serves correct, he was quoting someone else. Not that it matters, Lazarus your description of the money as being like rent paid by an undesirable tenant is beyond priceless! These same undesirable tenants also caused terrible damage to the factory when they finally left.

Money for rent and damages - finally a perfect way to look at that transaction. Thank you Lazarus for an entirely new perspective.

Johan

Post subject: Money paid by the German Reich to Ettore.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:55 pm 

In June, 1947, the Colmar Court of Appeal ruled that Ettore should repay the money paid to him by the Nazis which had enabled him to live very well during WW2.

According to Domboy, who was very close to Ettore, "no refund was ever made to anyone". See "Bugatti Yesterday and Today" p.120.

To what extent Ettore collaborated with the occupying forces is unclear but one thing becomes apparent to those who have studied his life is that he was extremely self-centred and repeatedly tended to emerge from difficult situations smelling of roses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:31 pm 
Valued contributor

I quote Legaleagle : "(The) one thing (which) becomes apparent to those who have studied his life is that he was extremely self-centred and repeatedly tended to emerge from difficult situations smelling of roses."

Indubitably. I'll tell you what I like to ponder occasionally, does this add to, or detract from Ettore Bugatti's greatness? What do you think?

Johan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:57 pm 

If during WW2 I was to sell something to the Nazis, that would indeed be of great use to them in the war effort, I would possibly have been called a Nazi Collaborator.
But hey- thats just me.

Post subject: tripplewerk
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:13 pm 

Are you an American Mr Greg Morgan?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:49 pm 

English- but I think our queen was German.