It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Hugh Conway - An appreciation
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:11 pm 
Valued contributor

Dear Friends

Contrary to what you may think, I did not spend the entire weekend causing controversy; in fact, I spent most of it reading. Mostly, but not exclusively, Conway. What a writer that man is! I was especially interested in how I would experience Conway seeing that I received Laugier first. In my humble opinion the great Hugh Conway Snr. is still the Daddy. I love Laugier, his descriptions of, not only all the T57SC's, but also their owners, is truly a magnificent achievement. I maintain that the reason the modern crop of superstar Bugatti authors can concentrate on specific Types or aspects of the Bugatti saga is because Conway has already covered the big picture with such comprehensive detail and insight.

But you want to hear the strangest thing of all? While waiting for Magnum (ch.no.141) to arrive, I remember thinking wistfully about how Conway's Great Marques, which has served me so well during the darkest days of my life, would now become obsolete. I should have had just a little more faith in Hugh - that thin volume is still the best introduction to a Marque, and, very unexpectedly this, I found that the three Conway works I now have ( the third one being his collaboration with Jaques Greilshamer) are indeed complimentary to each other. I suspect that Magnum, even though it was intended to be the triumphant culmination of his life's work, was not in any way suppose to supplant any of his earlier works, but rather as the flagship edition of his legacy. He makes pointed reference to the detail contained in Grand Prix Bugatti making repetition in Magnum unnecessary. Do you realise that there are almost no photographs appearing in all three? What incredible vision.

And Jeroen, I do not care whether I would have to sell every single spare organ and half my blood, but I am going to get the money for Grand Prix Bugatti to you end of March. There, nothing like giving oneself public deadlines to force one's own hand. I must have Grand Prix Bugatti! Oh crap, I've just realised I've already committed myself to the du Gan T43, a remarkably cheap copy of Matthews and the first issue of the Dutch Bugatti Register to Martijn! To be paid end April! Oh Lord! Ah what the hell, I'm on Medical Aid, and they cover dialyses; I will simply sell both kidneys. Please tell me there are no other must-haves being published soon. Yes, T46 will be paid for end February, just in case you wondered. You may have noticed, I am a total book-slut. Thank you Jeroen. Thank you Martijn. By the way, with the T46 it would seem I will be sending money to Eastern Europe for the first time. For a South African boy, that is seriously exotic.

Which reminds me of something else; I have forgotten to get the list of articles to Kay Hottendorff, even though I promised I would do so today! Sorry Kay - will tomorrow do? Strange people, they actually want my input.

Now I would like some advise please. Looking at Jeroen's list of Bugatti publications, there are 9 books by Hugh Conway. Are there any you would not recommend, and in which order should the ones you do recommend be collected? But there is no rush, trust me, it will be end June, at the earliest, before my budget (budget? Ha!) will have recovered to the point where any further acquisitions may be contemplated. My proudest achievement is not the books, it is that I owe not a cent. I have in the past paid dearly for making credit; my new motto is : first you pay; then you play. I repeat, I have no debts, I am broke, yes, but no debts. Life is very good indeed.

Getting back to dear Hugh, he is not particularly impressed with Ettore's experiments in aviation, nor with the boats, especially not the trans-Atlantic one. Semi submergible and hydro foiled, and many, way too powerful, engines, but only room for 8 paying customers. How very Ettore. I agree with Hugh - the worthy Mr Pracht must have been a near saint. It is the second section of Magnum that is proving the most entertaining, those chapters on Ettore as designer, engineer and compulsive applier of patents, is worth the entry price on their own. And wasn't Rembrandt just the most wonderful artist? And wasn't Jean just the most irresponsibly dangerous driver? Conway actually discusses Borgeson's assertion that Jean committed suicide, so that his family may get the insurance money. I am happy to report that Conway dismisses the esteemed Griff's theory with a lot more grace than was needed. Borgeson would seem to have one thing in common with Brock Yates; neither of them understood the difference between a penetrating look at someone who has achieved immortality through talent and hard work, and a petulant character assassination. (Driven by envy, perhaps?) I will reserve judgement until such time that I may read it for myself, but Bugatti - The Dynamics of Mythology (A little pretentious, no?) is way down on my list of priorities. You will tell me if I'm wrong, won't you?

But, my fellow lovers of Bugatti, I wish to leave you with this thought : The people that I have met through Herman's inspired vision has made me realise something of profound importance. There are more people willing, sorry, needing, to give back in service of the greater good, than I ever realised. Sharing with you my passions and my frustrations is more of an honour than you will ever know. Learning from those who share their own hard-earned knowledge and experience so generously; an even bigger honour.

I am (very occasionally) humbled by you. Oh yeah, I'm still the most arrogant Southern Hemisphere denizen - EVER!

Respect
Johan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:58 pm 

If you have more organs to sell, there also will be the book by Norbert Steinhauser on the early history (until 1922), and the next chapter of the Dutch Bugatti register, followed by Laugier's first volume (with as I recall 22 cars) of his T51 book!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:42 pm 
Valued contributor

Laugier's book is being published this year? I thought I had till 2009, do you realise what that man charge for his books?

Maybe I can sell my car.......... with the life I've led, there will be no buyers for my liver, and I'm a smoker to boot, so my lungs are useless too. Oh yes, that car is so gone. Anyone want to buy a rusty old Golf? In South Africa. Real cheap, yours for the price of a Laugier.

Thanks Jaap, thank you very much indeed. Just what I needed.

Say, did you hear what Stuart did for me? Maybe if I pick a fight with Pierre-Yves......no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

Those books will cost him an arm and a leg...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:19 pm 

I think it is his heart which suffers the most damage. :D