It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: About the T46 book
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:47 pm 

these may be of interest as well

Attachments:
bartons_books_007.JPG
bartons_books_007.JPG [ 44.9 KiB | Viewed 5458 times ]
bartons_books_006.JPG
bartons_books_006.JPG [ 48.26 KiB | Viewed 5456 times ]
bartons_books_005.JPG
bartons_books_005.JPG [ 47.7 KiB | Viewed 5457 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:10 pm 
Valued contributor

I am in awe. I dare not stray away from Bugatti books, my budget simply will not allow it. There are several marques I am very interested in : Alfa Romeo (specifically the works of Simon Moore) Bucialli, Delage, Hispano-Suiza, Voisin, Duesenberg, Rolls-Royce and Ferrari, to name but a few. I will probably stick to Bugatti only for another two years at least ; after the Hucke/Kruta work is paid for it will be time for the Registers I think.

Your art collection is very impressive too, and I find your library utterly inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing.

Kind Regards
Johan Buchner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:23 pm 

Just last week I bought 13 Bugatti books in one go, amongst them "Double Arbres" and the original Amauray Lot, Conway & Greilsamer and more. I now also have Dumont in both English and French.

I just have all the books spread over various shelves, not all together.

As far as other marques go: I bought a book on Granfield Bradshaw, and received two books on Pic Pic from the author. I have no intention to buy books on any other marques. Ralph Stein will have to do for those!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:49 pm 

I also own "Doubles arbres" (in fact, I have two copies) and "Bugatti, sorcier de la mecanique" (the first blue edition; actually the second edition of Automobiles et autorails). My recommendation: Not to pay the incredible amounts of money which are asked for "Doubles arbres", I do not consider it as an essential - must have (although my copies are not for sale). And it is not necessary either to pay a fortune for the first edition of Lot´s books; the new edition of "Sorcier de la mecanique" is perfectly valid.

I see that Johan´s interests in car books are very similar to mine (I would just add other makes like Delahaye, Talbot, Packard, Marmon, Lagonda...); I prefer not to tell you anything about the (only) book on Voisin, which went out of print years ago... Spending money in car books is a never ending and very expensive fancy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:15 pm 
Valued contributor

Expensive? Quite. I am thinking of collecting the rest of the Registers, as well as Conway's 1962 Register and Data of Bugatti Automobiles. How do they compare to the two Dutch ones? Superb works, both, and at 150 for the pair, very reasonably priced too.

Thanks
Johan

PS. Thanks for not telling me about the Voisin book, I have enough expensive temptations as is!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:22 pm 

Johan Buchner wrote:
I am thinking of collecting the rest of the Registers, as well as Conway's 1962 Register and Data of Bugatti Automobiles. How do they compare to the two Dutch ones? Superb works, both, and at 150 for the pair, very reasonably priced too.

I do not own the Dutch Registers, although I contacted Mr. Kees Jansen by e-mail to order them and I suppose that he has included me in the "waiting list". I have not received the book on the T46 either, althouhg I ordered it in the subscription period (I hope it arrives soon). However, as far as I know for the pages of the Dutch Registers which I have seen on internet these Registers do not have anything to do with Conway´s 1962 Register. This book is just a list of all the known Bugattis at that time, with very few pictures (which are related to each general type, not to each chassis). I am affraid that it does not contain such a complete story of every chassis like the Dutch Registers. I did not buy the 1962 Register once that I had the chance and I do not regret it. It is one of the most expensive books on Bugatti and I think that it is not "essential".

I own a copy of the American Bugatti Register - 2003 and also the last British Bugatti Register - 2000 (apart from the 1989 booklet which you already have). I consider these Registers more interesting and similar to the Dutch Registers.

I would not recommend either (it is just a personal opinion) all those books about the artistic work of all the Bugatti family, including Ettore. I bought the book by Dejean new and shrinkwrapped for EUR 75.00 some years ago and I think that I already have enough with it.

"Bugatti La Gloire" is another very expensive book. Just a collection of pictures (although some of them very rare), not a book with hard to find information which makes it be so expensive.

I would not spend any money on the (very expensive) books published by Volkswagen.

However, the book "Bugatti - Journal d'une saga" can be a very interesting adition (I hope to buy it and Hucke/Kruta´s book during this year; and also the future new book by Kestler - Bugatti 1909 - 2009).

I think that you already have most of the really interesting books on Bugatti; I would not try to buy ALL: There will always be a rare and very limited edition of one booklet impossible to find...

If I were you, I would spend my money (and always little by little) on the books on those other makes that you mentioned before.

And I would buy books because they are really interesting, not because its incredible high price or because they are very hard to find. For instance, the book on the Alfa Romeo 2.9 by Moore: Alfa Romeo has made and goes on making many interesting and exclusive models. The 2.9 is just one of them. You can use that money to buy several books covering many more models.

Of course, this is just my personal opinion and nobody has to agree with me.

P.S.: How can I have forgotten it?: I would recommend specially for you the books by Barrie Price :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:57 am 
Valued contributor

No need to get concerned about the T46 book just yet, there seems to be no logic to the speed of delivery, mine took nearly 2 months to arrive from the Czech Republic, while some of the American books took only a couple of weeks.

I really hope you are successful in getting the Dutch Registers, they truly are incredible. Especially the unexpected, like the chapters on the cars of the Belgian Royal Family, and a history of Bugatti at Spa Francorchamps (forgive the spelling, please!). You will not be disappointed with these, I promise you. Nor the T46 book either for that matter.

Thank you so much for your advise, especially about the Conway work. I don't think I will tackle other marques until after my European holiday later this year, I plan to completely over-dose on Bugattis whilst there. I am hoping to see both the Schlumpf and Louwman Collections, and I think the Centenary celebrations at Molsheim should bring together some of the finest Bugattis from around the world. I still can't believe this particular dream is about to become a reality.

Kind Regards
Johan Buchner

PS. Barrie Price? Never heard of him, is he an author? 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:46 am 

In fact, there is only on essential book, "Bugatti Legends" it is called, forgot who the author is. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:47 am 
Valued contributor

Jokes aside Jaap, I actually think your book is very important for one simple reason : It documents the early years of the internet and how The Bugatti Page did such pioneering work in establishing the marque on it.

I remember when I first discovered your site it was still part of (I think) the Bugatti Web, yours is the only one that's still around.

Regards
Johan

PS. Isn't it about time for another issue of the Review? :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:08 pm 

Since 1995 (Artioli was still active!) there were quite a few changes in the location of the site, but basically I work on it the same way as when I started.

I know that the Revue needs a new issue, but I'm working on the next issue of Pegasus (the newsletter for the BAA) first.

In between I have done some work on the next book (but still far from finished, so annoying that I have to do a regular job also) and I'm more and more thinking of making Bugatti Legends II. Also a book about the airplane remains to be written....

In the meantime, the site itself needs some attention; recently I published a letter from Peter Borstel and his thoughts about the 2nd Aerolithe replica in Canada and the way David Grainger treated him. I haven't had any angry mails yet!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:41 pm 
Valued contributor

Hi Jaap, as soon as I saw your post I immediately rushed off to The Bugatti Page to read Peter Borstel's letter. As tempted as I am to reply, I think perhaps it is better to give David Grainger the opportunity to do so first. Personally I don't particularly like the Borstal car, but the owner makes a very good point - It's his car, his money, and his rules. If he wants more headroom and light-blue paint, then he should have it.

On the other hand, building an Aerolithe and then using it will cause people to comment on it. This iconic car and the 4 (not 3) subsequent Atlantics generated an enormous amount of passion and debate when new - as they still do today. I was born more than 30 years after the Aerolithe was unveiled and to this day this lost masterpiece still moves me deeply. So it is for Mr. Borstel. So it is for Mr Grainger. So it is for a great many others. The Aerolithe will always remain one of those design which will not tolerate indifference - it is either greatly loved, or utterly despised. As it should be, it's a Bugatti after all.

Regards
Johan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:41 pm 

Johan, I sincerely wish that you enjoy your visit to the Schlumpf collection and to the events at Molsheim; you will be there at the right place on the right moment. Visiting the Mulhouse Museum you will also be able to know or learn more about European makes like Maybach (they have one of the best collection of these cars in the world), Voisin or Isotta Fraschini. It is not easy to be many cars of these makes...

Quote:
In fact, there is only on essential book, "Bugatti Legends" it is called

Jaap, you are right; if the author himself does not do his best to promote his book, who could do it?
About your web page, of course I can only say that it is EXCELLENT, one of the best resources on Bugatti on internet (with Herman´s permission :wink: ).
A book on the Bugatti P100 plane would be very welcome. Go on with it!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

A book on the plane would indeed be great. Already on this site there has been some discussion which was interesting, and in fact also the post-war period of Bugatti needs more attention.

About Jaap not getting angry Emails: Lucky you!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:37 pm 

Johan Buchner wrote:
Your library is a lot more comprehensive than mine, and is that a book on Bucciali I spot on the top shelf? Another question ; middle shelf, towards the left, 2 thickish blue Bugatti books, almost identical in size, what are they?

Congratulations Lazarus, this is a superb book collection. Not only are you the owner of quite a few awesome Bugattis (as well as examples of a few other select marques, I believe.), but you have a loving daughter about to be gifted a T37 built for her by a devoted father. The gods have surely smiled on you Sir.

Kind Regards
Johan

The Bucciali book is easy to find, most stores don't seem to be able to get rid of them, & it's a great book
i picked mine up for €40 i believe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:41 pm 

LANOS wrote:
I see that Johan´s interests in car books are very similar to mine (I would just add other makes like Delahaye, Talbot, Packard, Marmon, Lagonda...); I prefer not to tell you anything about the (only) book on Voisin, which went out of print years ago... Spending money in car books is a never ending and very expensive fancy.

have you ever had the change to look through that Voisin book?
if you haven't try to avoid it since you will just want it more IF you can find one for sale
i went through it in the Nethercutt library & WOW

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next