It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: About the T46 book
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

Perhaps it IS a good idea to do a sort of book-review. Can be done on a per-book basis, on the forum, and also on the WIKI. There is already a (non-exhaustive) list of books on the WIKI.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:39 pm 
Valued contributor

A difficult one this, I have opinions on my own books, but that is exactly what they are, opinions. My dislike of the works of Barrie Price is well known, yet David Sewell, Kees Jansen, Jaap Horst and a few other contributors to this site find his works most useful. I am not comfortable giving advice to other book collectors - make no mistake, I quite like expressing my personal feelings, but I make no attempt at objectivity - An example :

Divine Bugatti - very expensive, very beautiful, utterly useless and overrated, yet I absolutely love it. I don't know why, I just do.

Another one : Bugatti Mein Leben by Eliska Junek. I have paged through this book once, it cost me a lot of money, I don't speak German, the photographs are average and the same goes for the layout, the printing, the cover etc. Do I regret buying it? No. The Junek autobiography is simply one of those "must haves," now I have it. Who knows, it may one day make a nice companion for the English version.

Having said that, I thoroughly enjoy reading others' opinions on books, as long as there are passionate booklovers on this site, I'm as happy as can be. I appreciate Patrick's advise about the 1962 Conway Register, and I agree with him. But I still want it though, another of those must-haves. There is no logic to passion - long may it continue.

Kind Regards
Johan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:44 pm 

At the moment I have great difficulty reading any of the "general" books with history from start to end. I keep looking for things that I do not know yet, and can't seem to find any. Occasionally one finds a photo that is not in one of the other books, or a piece of information. This is also the reason why I doubt about buying the Kruta / Hucke book. How many new info will I find??

The specialized books like on the T46 are quite a relief, with a lot of new info. As is Steinhauser, obviously, though it is kind of a "general" (limited to the first 20-odd years). I also liked the "Journal d'un Saga" by Bellu. The strictly chronological approach gives some new ideas.

Of course, for Book info, Jeroen Vossen's Octagonfox.com, especially the Bibliography part is unique. No sense in copying that to the wiki.

And of course time to look on my site, just put a couple of books there for sale! Take your pick Johan, no need to go to any other marques!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:55 pm 

Johan Buchner wrote:
A difficult one this, I have opinions on my own books, but that is exactly what they are, opinions. My dislike of the works of Barrie Price is well known, yet David Sewell, Kees Jansen, Jaap Horst and a few other contributors to this site find his works most useful. I am not comfortable giving advice to other book collectors - make no mistake, I quite like expressing my personal feelings, but I make no attempt at objectivity - An example :

Divine Bugatti - very expensive, very beautiful, utterly useless and overrated, yet I absolutely love it. I don't know why, I just do.

Another one : Bugatti Mein Leben by Eliska Junek. I have paged through this book once, it cost me a lot of money, I don't speak German, the photographs are average and the same goes for the layout, the printing, the cover etc. Do I regret buying it? No. The Junek autobiography is simply one of those "must haves," now I have it. Who knows, it may one day make a nice companion for the English version.

Having said that, I thoroughly enjoy reading others' opinions on books, as long as there are passionate booklovers on this site, I'm as happy as can be. I appreciate Patrick's advise about the 1962 Conway Register, and I agree with him. But I still want it though, another of those must-haves. There is no logic to passion - long may it continue.

Kind Regards
Johan

Well, we can't be objective to start with: WHY ON EARTH DID YOU PICK BUGATTI! (The same counts for me also, obviously) So there probably is no sense in trying to make an objective list of Best Bugatti Books.

I do like the Barrie Price books, mostly because they were the start of the one-type books. Of course they are not as well-researched and complete as some of the later works, like those by Laugier. On the other hand, Laugier has so much info that has not much to do with Bugatti history (full history about owners, their other cars etc., for example), that I found the most interesting piece of history in Laugier's T57S book, part two, the factory body build lists, where a coupe de Ville body for a Fiat chassis is listed!

As for the registers, they are nice and useful, but in my opinion chassis numbers are only one way of looking at Bugatti history, and a kind of limited one. Often related with car values, nice for owners, but not really interesting to me. The importance of chassis numbers is thus somewhat overrated in my opinion, and Steinhauser agreed with this at the last Retromobile meeting where we met. In fact, he told me (and don't go throwing any stones!) that he removed some chassis numbers from his book!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:43 pm 

For those who wish to know: my next project is the new comprehensive book "Eliška and Čeněk Junek and their Bugatti cars". I have already agreed with Eliška´s son Vladimír Junek and he shall fully open his archives for the book.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:03 pm 
Valued contributor

When can I place my order? Just one thing, as many photos of Eliska's T43 with the Fiacre body as possible please.

Oh, and Dr. Klein, now that you are committed to writing the Juneks' biography, who is going to write the history of the T50? Pierre-Yves Laugier is busy with the T51 & T55, Kees Jansen will be working full-steam on the third Volume of the Dutch Register and now you are doing the Juneks? The T50 will make the perfect encore to your masterful T46, but when will you, Mr Jansen or Mr. Saunier have the time? I feel despair setting in.

Kind Regards
Johan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:41 pm 

You must be patient because the third book should be "Bugattis in the former Czechoslovakia". Do you know that more than 100 Bugatti cars were imported to pre-war Czechoslovakia? They were even 4 pieces of T52s there. I shall infrorm you on the progress.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

Great news on the new books, Mr. Klein.

Johan, Barrie Price already did a book on the type 50...

Oh, and mr. Klein. The type 52 probably should not be called "52" but "baby". No drawing lists it as "type 52"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:01 pm 
Valued contributor

Really Herman, correcting the great Dr. Bohuslav Klein on the Forum? Good luck getting a copy of any future Klein production.

Strangely enough Herman, I do know about the Price book, why else would I be searching so desperately for someone to write a real history of Ettore's third greatest car? Oh, and Dr. Klein, just a tiny bit of a correction to your T46 work ; the T46 does not have the same chassis as a T50, it is a tiny bit longer. It is the T50T that shares chassis and wheelbase with the T46, which might explain why several T46s were turned into T50Ts (not T50 - T50T) by swapping the engines for the twin-cam unit. T50 short - T50T longer. Glad I could clear that up for you, just hope that I have not ruined my chances of being on the subscription list for any of you and your very able co-authors' future works.

Anyway, let's get serious for a moment : How did the "baby" end up being commonly refered to as T52?

Regards
Johan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:17 pm 

Johan Buchner wrote:
Really Herman, correcting the great Dr. Bohuslav Klein on the Forum? Good luck getting a copy of any future Klein production.

Strangely enough Herman, I do know about the Price book, why else would I be searching so desperately for someone to write a real history of Ettore's third greatest car? Oh, and Dr. Klein, just a tiny bit of a correction to your T46 work ; the T46 does not have the same chassis as a T50, it is a tiny bit longer. It is the T50T that shares chassis and wheelbase with the T46, which might explain why several T46s were turned into T50Ts (not T50 - T50T) by swapping the engines for the twin-cam unit. T50 short - T50T longer. Glad I could clear that up for you, just hope that I have not ruined my chances of being on the subscription list for any of you and your very able co-authors' future works.

Anyway, let's get serious for a moment : How did the "baby" end up being commonly refered to as T52?

Regards
Johan
possibly because the factory refered to it that? lol [stir stir ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:30 pm 

Dear Johan,

I thought that everybody knows the difference in length of T50 an T50T. This is the reason why I used T50 only. But "stricto sensu", your remark is right.

Bohuslav

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:50 am 
Valued contributor

Dr. Klein wrote : "I thought that everybody knows the difference in length of T50 an T50T. This is the reason why I used T50 only. But "stricto sensu", your remark is right."

I too thought this - they do now.

Johan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:07 am 

Johan Buchner wrote:
Dr. Klein wrote : "I thought that everybody knows the difference in length of T50 an T50T. This is the reason why I used T50 only. But "stricto sensu", your remark is right."

I too thought this - they do now.

Johan

actually not true
you can't just asume that
such books don't get bought by bugatti fanatics only, also huge car afficionado's in general, who probably know a lot general about a lot of marque's, but not in such detail like this.
i fore-one didn't knew
& that's why we get such detailed books to learn & enjoy the great photo's, but if it's nowhere mentioned that there's a difference then we will assume that they are the same

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:39 am 

Frankly speaking, there is a reference to T50T in the book (see for instance pages 196,197,198).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:30 pm 

Dear Mr. Klein,

I ordered my copy on your book on the T46 in the subscription period and I have not received it yet. Have already all the copies been sent?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next