It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: fair dinkum!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:02 pm 

G'day all, I thought I would share the story of the perry plate with you...

I am a friend of Jim Perry's son, After hearing many fond stories about Jim and the perry vehicle and found that Jim's son was still in possession of the plate that was on his fathers car, being internet savvy and someone who likes a challenge, I was given the task of hunting down the vehicle and offering the plate to the owner. I rang the president of the Bugatti club here in Australia a few times but he didn't return my calls, after a month of trying I was lucky enough to find someone else in the club who informed me that Pedr Davis had sold the car and provided me his details to see if I could get a lead for the new owner. Pedr is a wonderful chap and gave me the name of the person who purchased the vehicle, I emailed a few people and Julien from the French Bugatti club contacted me and was nice enough to help. I had a lot going on and the plate totally slipped my mind for a bit and when Julien and I got back in touch I was told he had passed on my details to the owner of the vehicle who would contact me, this turned out to be Rod Amos, a member here. This is where the story got interesting!!! Apparently, the plate never belonged to Jim's vehicle at all, it belonged to what Jim's son remembered as Dr Newton's vehicle which is located here in Australia. Rod and I haven't exactly hit it off, I felt he was questioning my integrity and authority to pass the plate on, he wasn't comfortable with doing things with some random and I took offence after all the effort I made... As a result, I gave the money Jim's son was asking and decided that I would mount the plate permanently to a plaque since the plate has so much sentimental value to him and give it back to him for christmas. Rod offered to fly up and we do a swap, he told me he was being prudent and that the provenance was of the upmost importance? in the end I accepted his offer and even though we are definitely not going to be on each others Christmas card list am happy if he collects the plate this weekend. If not, then the plate will become a plaque and a Christmas gift to Jim's son. Either way it is a win and will bring someone some joy. The mystery remains why the plate was transfered from Dr Newtons to Jim's in the thirties but I doubt that will be ever solved with so much time passed, anyway... I have enjoyed the challenge and happy to have had a little journey into the world of Bugatti. Bonne chance!