It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: New Bugattiregister.com software
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:14 am 
Site Admin

Dear interested reader,

Time has come to develop V2 of the WIKI. The software used now has too much limitations.

The new plan (under development)

-Database on chassis numbers

Per chassisnumber:
-a set of data that is publicly available
-a set of data that is private
-a page which holds thumbs of the photos available on the photo server
-a page which holds links to the thread on the forum in which that chassis number is mentioned.

Publicly available:
-chassis number
-type
-year
-coachbuilder (original body)
-coachbuilder (current body)
-4 photos
-small piece of text on the car

notice about how much info there is available in the private area.

Private area
-status of chassis number (replica, borrowed chassis number, etc)
-owners
-license plates
-motor number
-frame number
-other numbers that are available
-events
-larger piece of history

On both pages a comments field should be available, where comments and corrections can be made. These comments will be visible by moderators, who can adjust the data if neccesary.

Tracking of entered data should be available. Who changes what.

Sources should be available, in a simple way. I have no idea how to reach that, I need input for that.

Login / subscription system.

I will edit this post when more ideas come up.

Addition 1: Only English interface. I am sorry for all that use a WIKI interface in their own language, but that would definately make it too complicated.

Post subject: Re: New Bugattiregister.com software
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:36 am 
Valued contributor

I like where you're going with this Herman. Let us hope for enough momentum to see this through, so much is possible still.

Johan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:11 pm 

Herman wrote:
Dear interested reader,

Time has come to develop V2 of the WIKI. The software used now has too much limitations.

The new plan (under development)

-Database on chassis numbers

Per chassisnumber:
-a set of data that is publicly available
-a set of data that is private
-a page which holds thumbs of the photos available on the photo server
-a page which holds links to the thread on the forum in which that chassis number is mentioned.

Publicly available:
-chassis number
-type
-year
-coachbuilder (original body)
-coachbuilder (current body)
-4 photos
-small piece of text on the car

notice about how much info there is available in the private area.

Private area
-status of chassis number (replica, borrowed chassis number, etc)
-owners
-license plates
-motor number
-frame number
-other numbers that are available
-events
-larger piece of history

On both pages a comments field should be available, where comments and corrections can be made. These comments will be visible by moderators, who can adjust the data if neccesary.

Tracking of entered data should be available. Who changes what.

Sources should be available, in a simple way. I have no idea how to reach that, I need input for that.

Login / subscription system.

I will edit this post when more ideas come up.

Dear Herman

You seek new solution for Wiki to answer criticisms of those which did not bring anything in Wiki.

Criticism is easy.

To say that there are errors, it is also easy.

That those which know, give true information.

The majority of the data on wiki come from the known Registers last

There are certainly errors. There is also of Registers contradictory, where it is also false informations. But with Wiki all is possible to modify, to readjust after checking.

The organization of Wiki also makes it possible to detect the réplicas by stepping, and to indicate them like such. Even if that displeases with certain owners. But the truth is not condemnable.

In three years Wiki does not cease improving and being supplemented. That is said by Kees Jansen and others

Unfortunately there are still few contributors.

I do not accept criticisms of those which do not take part in the update of Wiki

bugatti69

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:23 pm 

Johan Buchner wrote:
I like where you're going with this Herman. Let us hope for enough momentum to see this through, so much is possible still.

Johan

You criticize but you bring anything on Wiki
If you detect errors, made them know and it will be much more constructive.
Wiki can also be done with you.
Others also criticize, but it is known why: Wiki disturb them.
There is not that criticisms, there are also many the encouragement, and the unexpected participations which supplement information.
Wiki progresses all the time.

bugatti69

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:38 pm 

If you decide to go this direction, I have a few questions and suggestions:

In the private area, will the information there:

1) NOT be able to be seen by the public, and of course, not changed by the public, OR
2) BE SEEN by the public, but not able to be changed by the public?

With regard to the information in the private area, from a public perspective, I would like to be able to see the older pre-war history of a car, as that is interesting information to be able to see and look at.

Also, my car's wiki page has 13 pictures (which might be overkill, but I did not post all of these). 7 of these picture are pre-1955, so certainly the older pictures of the car are interesting to look at, and give a photo history of each car. The newer pictures of my car show a front, side, rear, engine and dash picture. Certainly, the pictures add up, and also take up a lot of storage. For a book, I can certainly see the limitations of one to three pictures, but for online, I would recommend a higher limit than 4 pictures => possibly up to 6 or 8 pictures. Certainly, to photo document a car, and if the older pictures are available, the number of pictures can add up fairly quickly.

Also, as the book Bugatti Registers (ABC, etc.) show Owners, chassis #, engine #, etc. and sources of info, you may want to consider showing, at least, this kind of information in the public area of the WIKI, even if it can not be changed by the public.

Thanks for listening!

VLM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:52 pm 

Also, in order to reduce/prevent/investigate any potential mis-information or fraud, I would suggest that more accountability should be injected into the current or potential future Wiki.

As a result, I would suggest that "each and every change" that is made to a car's Wiki should be tracked, for all the public to see, along with who made the change, and especially, which change was made.

Even currently, although each change is tracked, you can not really tell who made each change and what change was made, without pulling up each link, before and after each change was made, and it is an arduous process.

If this could be made more transparent and easier to see, then I think it would help the integrity of the Wiki - current or future.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:57 am 

If you complicate entered it of information on wiki, you will limit the contributions, and there will be less and less update. Wiki will not progress any more.

The interest of Wiki it is its facility to bring information.
The errors are easily rectifiable.
When a chassis number is confirmed for an unknown car before, the modifications to be made are easy, Not easy for all people. It is well thus.

I propose the following solution, it complicates a little, but protects the register best:

To reveal with the opening and in top of each card: the framework "Talk" for the public people and not accustomed
for the use of bugattiregister.com, to propose modifications spontaneously or for a debate on its information.

Then these modifications would be put on the card
- that is to say made immediately after checking
- maybe after debate
by the accustomed people of bugattiregister.com

To avoid modifications without consideration.

See modification suggested below

bugatti69

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:17 am 

bugatti69 wrote:
If you complicate entered it of information on wiki, you will limit the contributions, and there will be less and less update. Wiki will not progress any more.

When a chassis number is confirmed for an unknown car before, the modifications to be made are easy, Not easy for all people. It is well thus.

I propose the following solution, it complicates a little, but protects the register best:

To reveal with the opening and in top of each card: the framework "Talk" for the public people and not accustomed
for the use of bugattiregister.com, to propose modifications spontaneously or for a debate on its information.

- maybe after debate

bugatti69

Where it became FILTH ??? I prefer WIKI as it is !!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:05 am 
Site Admin

Andrew wrote:
If you decide to go this direction, I have a few questions and suggestions:

In the private area, will the information there:

1) NOT be able to be seen by the public, and of course, not changed by the public, OR
2) BE SEEN by the public, but not able to be changed by the public?

The information in the private area can only be seen when logged in.
Any information (whether public or private) can only be modified by a certain set of moderators. Anyone that can see the information can make suggestions, which will be judged by the moderators, or discussed on the forum if neccesary. Only after that the info will be changed, if neccesary.
Quote:

With regard to the information in the private area, from a public perspective, I would like to be able to see the older pre-war history of a car, as that is interesting information to be able to see and look at.

I guess that will develop itself. There should be room for some free text on both the public page and the private page. So there will be room for that. Prewar history can easily go on the public area.
Quote:

Also, my car's wiki page has 13 pictures (which might be overkill, but I did not post all of these). 7 of these picture are pre-1955, so certainly the older pictures of the car are interesting to look at, and give a photo history of each car. The newer pictures of my car show a front, side, rear, engine and dash picture. Certainly, the pictures add up, and also take up a lot of storage. For a book, I can certainly see the limitations of one to three pictures, but for online, I would recommend a higher limit than 4 pictures => possibly up to 6 or 8 pictures. Certainly, to photo document a car, and if the older pictures are available, the number of pictures can add up fairly quickly.

Do not forget there will also be a link to the photo server, or even a gadget which will show all pictures on that chassis number on a seperate page. For the info pages I guess 4 pictures will be enough. Want more? Click the photo page and you will get them all.

Quote:

Also, as the book Bugatti Registers (ABC, etc.) show Owners, chassis #, engine #, etc. and sources of info, you may want to consider showing, at least, this kind of information in the public area of the WIKI, even if it can not be changed by the public.

The chassis number and possibly engine number will be on the public page, but owners will definately be on the private page. No discussion about that. I do not like the threats I received from certain French people.
Quote:
Thanks for listening!

VLM

Thanks for your input!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:19 am 
Site Admin

bugatti69 wrote:

- maybe after debate

bugatti69

I will see if that is possible as a quick fix for now, although I do not think this is possible in an easy way. MediaWIKI is crappy software...

Perhaps I can limit the possibility to edit the page (only for moderators), but leave editing of the talk page open for anyone.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:25 am 
Site Admin

Lazarus wrote:
Where it became FILTH ??? I prefer WIKI as it is !!

From a labour point of view, I do as well. However, I do have the ambition to get the register to get a status of reliable and up to data database on Bugattis. I get a lot of comments on the setup as it is now, and as it is now is not an ideal situation. Using the normally available settings in MediaWIKI I cannot change what I would like to change, besides that, the software is not stable enough (see the search results, and yes, I am still working on that). So something needs to be done.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:35 am 

Herman wrote:
bugatti69 wrote:

- maybe after debate

bugatti69

I will see if that is possible as a quick fix for now, although I do not think this is possible in an easy way. MediaWIKI is crappy software...

Perhaps I can limit the possibility to edit the page (only for moderators), but leave editing of the talk page open for anyone.

Explanation of my proposal:

1) to open information on a chassis number

2) all information on the selected frame appears, including the new framework " Talk" chassis number concerned. But only the framework talk is modifiable, for observations and debate by all the people.

3) to replace the mitre " talk" by " moderator". Only the moderators could use this mitre. With this mitre accessible to the moderators, it would be possible to modify information of the frame concerned and to add photographs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:19 pm 

Where it became FILTH ??? I prefer WIKI as it is !![/quote] Ici cette une site EN ANGLAIS SVP controller vos entrees."Where it became filth" c'est "Ou il deviens merde".C'est ca que vous voulez dire? Je pense que vous voulez dire "When it came FIFTH"

Attachments:
image_10.jpg
image_10.jpg [ 36.17 KiB | Viewed 8316 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:32 pm 

??????????? :

or

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:29 pm 

bugatti69 wrote:
??????????? :

or

computor translation programs will perhaps never replace the human brain.I personally find such translations very very irritating.