It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: BC Chassis Plate List
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:29 am 

Some while ago I rang the UK BOC to enquire whether I could buy an up-to-date list of BC chassis plate numbers. The lady who took my call said NO but I'm not convinced she knew what I was talking about.

Does anyone know where I can find out the "missing numbers" from my personally compiled list - can the Bugatti Identification Group help.

The numbers 1-130 can be found in the 2000 British Register, page 220 and the 2000-2004 "Update and Amendments" page 16.

Here is the tail-end of my data base :

BC 130
A chassis plate no. which was the subject of a letter issued by the UK BOC on 14th July 2003 in respect of a car described by the club (in May 2005) as a type 38/43 in the ownership of E.C.M. Townsend. This car appears to have started life as a kit of bits which were owned by H.H. Posner in the eighties and acquired by Robin Townsend. The project was listed in The British Bugatti Register in 1989 under the Type 43 heading with the note that the project was based on an original but reprofiled type 38 frame with a supercharged engine (no. 88 from car 38174). In the 2000 edition and in the 2000-2004 Amendments the project was listed as a type 38. However the car is described, it runs very well and, despite its humble origins, it has ascended Prescott faster than any type 43. The car is currently registered as BS 9099, is painted blue and runs on wire wheels. The car was pictured in Winter 2004/05 (B.67/4/14) rounding Pardon during the September 2004 Prescott meeting.

BC 131
A “replica” type 59 owned by John Marks in the UK. The car has been painted black and is exhibited in “The Bugatti Trust”. Its chassis plate no. was issued on 14th July 2003. It was issued with the UK registration 232 UXF and in 2007 was advertised for sale by Martin Chisholm. It was reported to have been sold around the beginning of November 2007 to a UK purchaser for “less than it would cost to build one now”.

BC 132
A type 51 “recreation”. The project started with a collection which included many original components and a Wragg frame owned by St. John. It was acquired in 1987 by Christopher F. Warman in Wales, UK. The Wragg frame was abandoned and replaced by a Hoskins frame obtained from Richard I’Anson which had been intended to be a type 35B. Work done with the help of Ivan, and later, Tim Dutton. The completed car was registered as 584 UXD. It is pictured in “Bugattis at Prescott” p. 53. The car was acquired by Peter Schömer of Motorsport Legend Ltd. In 2006 it competed at the Donington Park “See Red” meeting and at the VSCC Goodwood Sprint where it recorded a time of 1minute 10 seconds with a speed of 139 mph on the Lavant Straight. It was driven at Prescott in 2007 by Charles Knill-Jones. It is reported to have been offered for sale at £450,000 and later £550,000 and is now said to be owned by Richard Pavey. Its most recent appearance was at the Cholmondeley Pageant of Speed where it sported a blue “flash” on its tail and exhaust pipes on both sides of its tail.

BC 133
A “replica” type 51 owned by R. Seiffert in the USA. The car was issued with this chassis plate no. on 12th April, 2004.

BC 134
A “replica” type 35T owned by Bob King in Australia has been allocated this chassis plate no. In May, 2005 it was “Pending Issue”.

BC 135
A “replica” type 35B owned by D. Dillon in Australia has been allocated this chassis plate no. In May, 2005 it was “Pending Issue”.

BC 136
A car listed on the internet as a 1927 type 35B with Netherlands registration GH-24-VJ. The car is painted dark red, fitted with Marshal headlamps, carries a spare wheel and has twin aero-screens. It is listed as owned by Simon Klopper and is said to have been used in the 1994 International Rally in Italy (no. 29) and, more recently, the 2007 Randonnée en Ardennes and Rencontres Internationales Bugatti en Corse. (See the 2005 Netherland’s Register (Vol.1) p.32).

BC 139
A type 50T pictured on the internet. Said to be built on a type 46 chassis around the engine from car 50132 with a body based on a Weinberger design.

BC 145
A type 13 : Stuart Harper, 1989 ; Peter Shaw, 2004 ; Andy Johnson, 2007 ; Knill-Jones.

BC 149
A built-up type 49 fitted with a type 44 engine no. 1024. Parts collected by Posner with chassis rails coming from Switzerland and the engine from New York. In 1979 the kit was acquired by Paul A. Roberts in the UK. Chassis restoration by Ernie Allen and engine by Longland-Hart in Suffolk. It was fitted with Le Mans-style open four-seater bodywork by Keith Hill with black fabric covering. A Cotal gearbox was fitted to facilitate use by a disabled driver. It was given the UK registration PSJ 609 and was issued with a UK BOC chassis plate on 8th March,1998. It is listed in the 2000 British Bugatti Register (p. 141). The car was driven at Prescott in 2007.

BC 159
A type 59 “replica” issued with a UK BOC chassis plate on 2nd December, 1998. The car is based on a chassis obtained from Ray Jones in the USA. Shown on the internet in 2007 in the ownership of McCabe.

Post subject: Re: BC Chassis Plate List
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:42 pm 

A type 50T pictured on the internet. Said to be built on a type 46 chassis around the engine from car 50132 with a body based on a Weinberger design.

I restored this car so can add a little to this description.The frame was supplied by the molsheim works [as a type 50 frame ] after the war to the owner of a T50 which had been damaged i believe just before the war [ In Belgium or Holland ].The damaged T50 was not restored for many years until it came to be restored by Ernie Allen in the 1980's and a replacement frame was by this time unthinkable and in any event the original was repairable.I bought it for my customer in Austria and by this time it had aquired many other original parts,front and back axles [ the rear transaxle was an ex molsheim exchange unit ]etc. Barry Price was attempting to do the car but the owner took it away and sold it to me.Barry had aquired a T46 motor but when the Uno Ranch engines came up for sale I convinced my customer that it would be better to have the right engine.So the T50 motor was bought.The body is a copy of the Doctor Fuchs T50 which was very similar to his T41 Royale.Weinburger [the son is still around ] supplied the drawings.

Post subject: Re: BC Chassis Plate List : BC 139
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:38 am 

BC 139

I had a quick look under the bonnet when it was in the UK in August.

Is the supercharger fitted the correct one for the engine. It looks like the smaller one
fitted to the 46S and the very early supercharged type 50 ?

Post subject: Re: BC Chassis Plate List
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:31 am 

we found an early T50 blower for this engine,Ray Jones outbid us on the original,even though his engine from the Uno Ranch sale had its blower fitted.He missed out however because our engine was rebuilt already! Our blower is fitted as usual with two Schebler carbs.here are both of the T50s that I restored.

Attachments:
image-1.jpg
image-1.jpg [ 265.45 KiB | Viewed 6584 times ]
t50t_p10.jpg
t50t_p10.jpg [ 107.65 KiB | Viewed 6584 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 57.62 KiB | Viewed 6584 times ]