It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Just for the record.
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:27 pm 
Valued contributor

To all WIKI contributors :

Thank you for working so hard on behalf of all us Bugatti enthusiasts. I have most of the Bugatti Registers and even with all their content combined it is still substantially less comprehensive than WIKI.

It is only recently that I realised the one advantage this electronic register has over the printed version ; all disputed entries can be addressed and readdressed pretty much immediately. With a book mistakes can only be corrected with the next edition.
It is for this very reason that I predict that those entries considered insufficient or incorrect will all be addressed in the fullness of time, and the more they are dealt with, the fewer the disputed entries become. I suspect the bogus T35/37/51s will be dealt with last for it is among these types that the biggest controversies remain.

It is the way you all approach this task that will, I think, ensure the integrity of WIKI ; you never delete each other's work (Deleters get deleted from WIKI by order of Herman) yet you disagree passionately, and publically. And for every argument so far a much more comprehensive entry resulted. For this reason I think only you should add info on Wiki, the rest of us can use the Wiki Forum. In my experience these debates by themselves are very illuminating and they always result in more knowledge for all.

When I joined this site the WIKI was in it's infancy, now there is a clear record of every T57S (+ replicas) and every T46 (+ replicas). Thank Laugier, Klein et al for their research but remember there is no book on the Type 50 ; Wiki has the most comprehensive register of the T50 I have ever seen. Impressive.

And finally, please do not ever make peace among yourselves ; I believe it is this very confrontational relationship that ensures honesty - mistakes will happen, deception cannot.

Kind Regards
Johan Buchner
South Africa

Post subject: Re: Just for the record.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:19 pm 

I take the chance of your outstanding post (that I endorse completelly) to ask one small thing: there's a hand-full of cars of which it's story is rather well (or not) known that has been around the internet, either on press-releases issued by auction homes or articles written by more or less credible editors of widelly-known websites. Wouldn't it be a plus to gather those credible stories on the correct chassis page at the Register? With due credit given, of course, but I think it would add value to the chassis "file pages", no?

Post subject: Re: Just for the record.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:29 am 

The international register which Wiki has become is now a serious reference tool. In order to make the BB website beyond reproach is it not time to use the exact same references as the UK BOC throughout the site including the forum and photo index so that instead of BC46 we should use BC 046. This avoids any future confusion.