It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Wiki format changes, Why?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:13 pm 

I have just been searching for info on a GP car and noticed that GP cars are now in 3 category’s rather than just known and unknown, personally this seems a worrying and backward step for several reasons:
You now you have to search 3 areas rather than 2
It automatically assumes a BC car is not original chassis(this is not the case)

I suspect i understand why it has been done but it actually betrays a basic ignorance of the way BC numbers were issued and why, as now a lot of cars with original chassis(i.e. known frame number but lost chassis number) are classified as other i.e. replicas because they have a BC number. Surely its better to list the facts and let the reader decide rather than attempt to arbitrarily categorise a car?

Just my view but this type of segmentation makes the wiki look a little folish as in many cases you are implying car X with a real frame is less genuine than car Y a new build with a cloned identity and fake chassis plate.

Post subject: Re: Wiki format changes, Why?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:37 pm 

37quest wrote:
I have just been searching for info on a GP car and noticed that GP cars are now in 3 category’s rather than just known and unknown, personally this seems a worrying and backward step for several reasons:
You now you have to search 3 areas rather than 2
It automatically assumes a BC car is not original chassis(this is not the case)

I suspect i understand why it has been done but it actually betrays a basic ignorance of the way BC numbers were issued and why, as now a lot of cars with original chassis(i.e. known frame number but lost chassis number) are classified as other i.e. replicas because they have a BC number. Surely its better to list the facts and let the reader decide rather than attempt to arbitrarily categorise a car?

Just my view but this type of segmentation makes the wiki look a little folish as in many cases you are implying car X with a real frame is less genuine than car Y a new build with a cloned identity and fake chassis plate.
Absolutely correct.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

I guess Bugatti69 will chime in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:01 pm 

Lazarus wrote:
Absolutely correct.

I can't agree you :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

Can anyone more knowledgable than me elaborate on the history of BC numbers. Why were they invented, and what was the deeper meaning for it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:18 pm 

Which part do you disagree with Uwe?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:09 pm 

A l'ouverture de la page "bugatti Type 35 chassis numbers", est apparu une alerte présisant que cette page était trop chargée avec un total de 35 000 octets.

Avec quelques octets supplémentaires, elle ne pourrait plus s'ouvrir avec certains navigateurs.

J'ai donc anticipé pour éviter cela en divisant celle-ci en deux parties distinctes pour les types 35 et 37, comme j'avais fait précédemment pour les types 57

translation in English by WorldLingo:

With the opening of the page “bugatti Type 35 chassis numbers", appeared an alarm présisant that this page was too in charge with a total of 35.000 bytes.

With some additional bytes, it could not open any more with certain navigators.

I thus anticipated to avoid that by dividing this one into two distinct parts for types 35 and 37, as I had made previously for types 57

Last edited by bugatti69 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:20 am 

J'ai encore modifié wiki pour éviter les interprétations citées ci-avant, et pour éviter des blocages à l'ouverture des pages trop chargées, comme pour les types 57:

I still modified wiki to avoid interpretations quoted herebefore, and to avoid blockings with the opening of the pages too charged, as for types 57 :

See:

Bugatti Type 35 chassis numbers 4323 at 4900
Bugatti Type 35 chassis numbers 4901 at 4965, and other
Bugatti Type 35 number unknown chassis (not identified (Molsheim or Replica ?))

Bugatti Type 37 chassis numbers 37101 at 37320
Bugatti Type 37 chassis numbers 37320 at 37388, and other
Bugatti Type 37 number unknown chassis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:48 am 

Hi bugatti69,
Thank you I now understand what you were initially attempting to achieve, I think last nights refinement of two blocks of numbers is a much more elegant solution, personally I think it now makes the process of search much quicker, and as you say avoids the wrong interpretation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:55 am 

Herman wrote:
Can anyone more knowledgable than me elaborate on the history of BC numbers. Why were they invented, and what was the deeper meaning for it?

Sorry Herman I missed your question, I am not a BOC member(or any club) but my understanding based on conversations with registers is that BC numbers were originally issued where the identity of a car could not be confirmed, if you look in the Wiki at BC, 20,37,46,71,105 etc. these are all original chassis, with a correct frame number but as we know a frame number is not a chassis number once the engine and chassis part company identity can become an issue, by looking at the frame is it a 37,35,51 etc ..matching frame numbers we know to the chassis numbers ranges and eliminating numbers it cant be a chassis number can be derived and where this is not 100% BC numbers were traditionally issued.

Hence my concern with the Wiki when the BC numbers were listed with the Persang replicas it implied they were all of the same genre, in fairness some are ,but at least with a BC number even before you look at the car you know from the paperwork which parts of the car are claimed to be original and can see the evidence.