It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Do you go to Salzburg vintage car meets? Mercedes SS questio
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:19 pm 

I noticed on another thread that some of you attend vintage car meets in Salzburg. Perhaps you can give me some direction in finding the following information.

While I have gathered quite a bit of research on the car shown here, there are a number of answers that would be helpful in my building of a large-scale model of this particular car; the latest picture I saw of it was when it was displayed with other types of cars in Salzburg, and you may know something about it. The Mercedes Classic Center couldn't help me because they said most of their pre-war records were destroyed during the bombing of the factory.

This is a 1933 Mercedes 710 SS Sonder Kabriolet which supposedly was once owned by Austrian filmmaker Willi Forst (shown in the car below). The only engine picture I have found shows it to be highly modified from the other SS/SSK models of the time, notably with a three-way air intake manifold.

Is anyone aware of where the car is currently located, and how and where I might gather more mechanical information on it? I have all the basic specifications, but not for this example. It was the subject of a nice 1/43 diecast by IXO, but they didn't reply to my inquiries.

I am grateful to the superb automotive photographer, Boris Schlegelmilch, who shot the last photo, for having made a number of additional photographs of this car available to me on his website.

http://www.schlegelmilch.com/