It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum rules

As this forum section can lead to overheated heads, this section is tightly moderated. At the sllightest suspection of a thread going into the wrong direction, action will be taken.

Post subject: [for sale] Bugatti type 41
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

This Bugatti type 41 seems to be for sale. Where does it fit in the type 41 range? Is this the Hucke project?

Attachments:
Bugatti50b_41RecordSpeedCarforsaleSIDE.jpg
Bugatti50b_41RecordSpeedCarforsaleSIDE.jpg [ 136.77 KiB | Viewed 10897 times ]

Post subject: Re: [for sale] Bugatti type 41
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:09 pm 

Herman wrote:
This Bugatti type 41 seems to be for sale. Where does it fit in the type 41 range? Is this the Hucke project?

not that i know of.Uwe's car is quite beautifully finished.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:39 am 

I’m no expert on the big cars but I don’t think it is a 41.
It looks like an evocation of the LSR car that was never build. The seller seems to get very excited about all his descriptions of chattels for sale to the point where excitement occasionally overtakes factual accuracy, either that or in a previous career he wrote descriptions for auction catalogs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

It can be yours for only 10 million euro, so a real bargain!! :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:09 pm 

This must be the project of a replica record car, the one from Ettore's sketch using a Royale engine (blown? Two T50 blowers would be nice!) and a T46 chassis.

I believe that this project also originates from Uwe Hucke, though I'm not sure. Is the engine an AutoRail engine?

10 million seems a bit much for an unfinished project, even Tom Wheatcroft did not manage to get even a few millions for his fully finished coupe Napoleon replica!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:02 pm 

I have now seen the Royale chassis undergoing restoration in Holland.....And Hugh Conway has confirmed today to me that there IS a Royale chassis on De Dobellers list of cars for sale in the early 1960's.Clearly the one offered to Gene Cesari but subsequently bought by Bill Harrah.The owner has bought a 1920's Packhard tourer and restored the body to fit to the prototype chassis.A case of history repeating itself.With it's twin plug early motor this is going to be an interesting car.Does anyone want a 1920's Packhard less body?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:29 am 

I do not understand the deafening silence surrounding the discovery of especially the prototype Royale project.

One would expect much more enthusiasm, especially as the car will have a lot more components from the original car than what is in the newly rebuilt Berson-Atlantic.

However, the choice for a Packard-body.... Original as it may be, it's the ugliest of bodies and the cause why the Royale failed to sell. Ettore should have put a nice body, like the Weyman or better, on it, and not present this second-hand bodied Royale to kings.

I wonder, will the new owner also change the body 3 times, after the Packard body?

Last edited by J.J.Horst on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:54 am 

J.J.Horst wrote:
I do not understand the deafening silence surrounding the discovery of especially the prototype Royale project.

One would expect much more enthusiasm, especially as the car will have a lot more components from the original car than what is in the newly rebuilt Berson-Atlantic.

However, the choice for a Packard-body.... Original as it may be, it's the ugliest of bodies and the cause why the Royale failed to sell. Ettore should have put a nice body, like the Weyman or better, on it, and not present this second-hand bodied Royale to kings.

I wonder, will the new owner also chance the body 3 times, after the Packard body?

The owner also bought the remains of Tom Wheatcrofts parts [ two more chassis and engines,and Coupe napoleon body ] and also the land speed record car from america ! So he does not need to change the bodies does he? He is a very serious collector indeed,and I wish him good luck with his projects [ not that he needs luck ] The work is being done in the very best way possible.I am confident that the result will be splendid.He has the three vital ingredients necessary for sucess,the will,the facility and the cash.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:33 pm 

And all new parts will be CNC made 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:55 pm 

Udolahr wrote:
And all new parts will be CNC made 8)

Ettore always had the very latest machine tools even from America.He had several "automatic" machines,and would have loved CNC.If you look at the machine finish of many original parts,it is difficult to believe that he did NOT have CNC !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

Does it matter if a computer turns the wheels of the mill, or a human does it? A computer just does it faster.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:49 am 

If you build 1 or 2 parts , the computer is not faster . In Ettores time , machining was not so easy like today , so if it was possible to cast the part , it was casted with very little machining . CNC parts are normaly made from solid , and it looks differend , it looks like CNC . Do you like a CNC Bugatti ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:52 am 
Site Admin

I admit that cast parts look different. But when a part is on the mill anyhow, there is no difference between hand operated and computer operated.

About Royales:

I lost track now. How many real Royales are there (I can safely presume 6, perhaps 7) and how many replicas are there, finished, unfinished or in the works?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:23 pm 

For over 20 years , we are building complete engines and parts , from 1902 t0 1930 . If I send a CNC made part especial to the USA or Japan , I will get it back . This collectors can see very good the tooling marks .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:59 am 
Site Admin

Revisiting this subject, I will make a new post on how many Royales are present today.