It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum rules

As this forum section can lead to overheated heads, this section is tightly moderated. At the sllightest suspection of a thread going into the wrong direction, action will be taken.

Post subject: Status on my build
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:44 pm 

A few of you have been asking to see updated pictures of my GP build. I have made some good progress lately on the radiator and some of the body panels, so here you go....
Attachment:
105_0384.jpg
105_0384.jpg [ 451.12 KiB | Viewed 11245 times ]

Attachment:
105_0385.jpg
105_0385.jpg [ 447.61 KiB | Viewed 11245 times ]

Attachment:
105_0386.jpg
105_0386.jpg [ 412.59 KiB | Viewed 11245 times ]

Post subject: Re: Status on my build
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

Nice panel beating!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:23 pm 

nicefloor wrote:
A few of you have been asking to see updated pictures of my GP build. I have made some good progress lately on the radiator and some of the body panels, so here you go....
Attachment:
105_0384.jpg

Attachment:
105_0385.jpg

Attachment:
105_0386.jpg

Splendid work.I must ask though,why not go the extra mile? Why beat out a radiator shell in brass instead of nickle ? I did it for my daughters car and if I can do it anyone can.Why no starting handle boss on the front cross tube? You can fit a handle to the AR motor just as I did to the Riley motor.I assume that the modern bolts are temporary.I [ and a friend who is doing the same thing with an AR motor would like to see photos of the engine mounts and gearbox mounts].Great.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:03 pm 

Thanks for the compliments.

Lazarus - as to your questions;

Yes, I will be using different fasteners during final assembly - probably bugatti fasteners but not totally sure yet.

As to the brass radiator - thats just what I wanted. i like the look of aged brass, and I am going to attempt to let the car age naturally and hopefully have it look a bit older than it actually is. So, it was a choice, not a shortcut. Will probably paint it with laquer as well...enamel looks to perfect and doesn't age well.

Using a crank to actually turn-over the Alfa motor is an interesting idea that I never considered. Do you have pics of how you did it on the riley? I didn't want to put in a fake crank, but a real one is different.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:22 pm 

nicefloor wrote:
Thanks for the compliments.

Lazarus - as to your questions;

Yes, I will be using different fasteners during final assembly - probably bugatti fasteners but not totally sure yet.

As to the brass radiator - thats just what I wanted. i like the look of aged brass, and I am going to attempt to let the car age naturally and hopefully have it look a bit older than it actually is. So, it was a choice, not a shortcut. Will probably paint it with laquer as well...enamel looks to perfect and doesn't age well.

Using a crank to actually turn-over the Alfa motor is an interesting idea that I never considered. Do you have pics of how you did it on the riley? I didn't want to put in a fake crank, but a real one is different.

Oh dear ! I dont think you understand.The Bugatti radiators are not made of brass. 8) They are made from nickle [a metal] otherwise called german silver.They are not normally plated but simply polished.[some people who know no better do plate them usually over the other side of the pond] They do not need plating as they are already the right colour.A brass radiator will look well...... brass coloured.And apart from looking very odd will certainly go green if not treated.I have fitted cranks to my T50 special with jaguar motor,and to two T37s with riley motors.You need to get the two mating parts from just about any old car starting handle and make up the brackets etc and Bugatti handle to suit.I will post photos of the riley arrangement that I made for my daughter.Incidently the original Bugatti radiators are not one piece turned over to make the flange at the front.....the flange is a separate piece soldered on.I did not do this on my daughters car as it is rather difficult to justify the enormous amount of work involved.I can copy the starter handle drawing for you if you want it.

Attachments:
IMG_3638.JPG
IMG_3638.JPG [ 54.21 KiB | Viewed 11149 times ]
IMG_3635.JPG
IMG_3635.JPG [ 51.84 KiB | Viewed 11149 times ]
IMG_3640.JPG
IMG_3640.JPG [ 50.51 KiB | Viewed 11149 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:56 pm 

Thanks for the pics Lazarus.

Yes - I know Bugatti radiators were not Brass......I am saying that I like brass, so I used it. I have other cars with brass radiators, so I know how to keep them looking great.

I will give the crank some real thought - I like that.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:58 pm 

When I said I would paint it with laquer - I meant the car - not the radiator ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:46 pm 

nicefloor wrote:
When I said I would paint it with laquer - I meant the car - not the radiator ;-)

There is no electric starter on the riley engined car [or on the other two mentioned] so the handle is a must.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:12 pm 

Finally the so long awaited building thread! Update it if something happens, please!
Keep up working, it will be a handbuilt dream!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:51 pm 

and you are the only one who shows some Bugatti building in Bugattibuilder .
a mixture of Wilson and Friday :wink:
show more photos of the progress.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:36 pm 

Thanks for the kind words guys. I will post more pics as I take them.

Post subject: Picture for sale
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:52 pm 

I am selling a fantastic oil painting of my ex-wife. It was done with great attention to detail by an artist who spent a massive amount of time on it, over 3000 hours. It cost me allot and although some of you might not like it, someone, I am sure, will.

She was my dream, but hence, no more. I did all the surgery as I thought it should be in order to make her precisely as I wanted, it's all reflected in the oil strokes. You will notice that the nipples are not correct, they are just not right. But that was just the artist interpretation of what they should look like. Someone will enjoy owning this painting, although really, it's just not right.

It was that ''just not right'' that got to me over time. That started the fight that ended in the divorce . I remember looking at the painting, and then looking at her, looking at the painting, and looking at her - my eyes switching back and forth. I kept saying, it's just not right, it's just not right. I know it's me, I am just a purist, and I should have never asked to change the nipples. I should have left them original, and to scale. But hey, my loss, your gain. Finally I got rid of her and I want the painting gone also. I will accept any offer. Would anyone be interested in this painting of my wife?:twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

Is it framed?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:41 pm 

Who was framed? He or she?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:28 pm 

Thanks for sending me the picture of your ex-wife. I see what you're talking about.
Attachment:
exwife.jpg
exwife.jpg [ 18.7 KiB | Viewed 10768 times ]