It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum rules

As this forum section can lead to overheated heads, this section is tightly moderated. At the sllightest suspection of a thread going into the wrong direction, action will be taken.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bugatti Atlantic Replicas
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:47 pm 

Or, in the end, delete the topic. I've written this because I see some photo (like the first one) from years and every time I wonder about what car is (because I think the chassis is real, but this is merely my idea, born because I've found this photos on a site speaking about a real Bugatti meeting, so I've thounght this could be a real Bugatti modified to look like the Atlantic). More, I've seen the first time the Rabuggi project years ago, and in years I've seen how the car is evolving, and doing such a work in a private garage with limited means is quite interesting, and is a work that takes off anything from the work of the professional recreators (I think that someone here is recreating the Aérolithe?). It's a way like others to pay a tribute to Hector & Jean's genius.
It was only a curiosity, if this is an "unpolite" subject, delete it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:37 pm 

We build stunning replicas of the worlds most beautiful cars. We're finishing up a Delahaye 165 replica right now, and just getting started on an Atlantic and T64. Our replicas all feature handmade aluminum bodies built to the exact shape and proportion of the original. You can see pictures of our work at http://www.coachsmithing.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

Topic moved neither closed. Helle23 asked a legitimite question. I hope further replies are more polite.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:41 am 

It's impressive to see how they recreate a car from zero to road. Even if I think these cars should be clearly recognisable as replicas and in any way intended to be sold as real cars, and perhaps can participate at real Bugattis event, but only the full identical ones, and obviously in a separate category where everything is clear, we can't deny that this is a tribute, expensive in money, time and craftmanship. After the restoration of the Lindner Knocker E-type everything is possible, but the work of who is recreating the Aérolithe is incredible. I imagine the research work...
And above all, is the real Aérolithe, and not that odd light blue car.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:08 am 

Hellé23 wrote:
Or, in the end, delete the topic. I've written this because I see some photo (like the first one) from years and every time I wonder about what car is (because I think the chassis is real, but this is merely my idea, born because I've found this photos on a site speaking about a real Bugatti meeting, so I've thounght this could be a real Bugatti modified to look like the Atlantic). More, I've seen the first time the Rabuggi project years ago, and in years I've seen how the car is evolving, and doing such a work in a private garage with limited means is quite interesting, and is a work that takes off anything from the work of the professional recreators (I think that someone here is recreating the Aérolithe?). It's a way like others to pay a tribute to Hector & Jean's genius.
It was only a curiosity, if this is an "unpolite" subject, delete it.

Who ,pray tell is "Hector" ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:20 am 

Hellé23 wrote:
It's impressive to see how they recreate a car from zero to road. Even if I think these cars should be clearly recognisable as replicas and in any way intended to be sold as real cars, and perhaps can participate at real Bugattis event, but only the full identical ones, and obviously in a separate category where everything is clear, we can't deny that this is a tribute, expensive in money, time and craftmanship. After the restoration of the Lindner Knocker E-type everything is possible, but the work of who is recreating the Aérolithe is incredible. I imagine the research work...
And above all, is the real Aérolithe, and not that odd light blue car.

If you want to order your very own Atlantic replica with 21 century straight eight engine.......see this; https://sites.google.com/site/coachsmit ... 7-Atlantic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:39 am 

Untame wrote:
We build stunning replicas of the worlds most beautiful cars. We're finishing up a Delahaye 165 replica right now, and just getting started on an Atlantic and T64. Our replicas all feature handmade aluminum bodies built to the exact shape and proportion of the original. You can see pictures of our work at http://www.coachsmithing.com

they call it Atlantic - Coupé Aéro would be correct
Attachment:
1936.jpg
1936.jpg [ 15.82 KiB | Viewed 14534 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:57 pm 

I know the real name of Ettore Bugatti.
In the end, I'm Italian, so I could know how it's written (who can imagine, eh?).
But we are on an English forum, so I thought this was the English way.
I've heard "Turin" and "Milan", and "Bugattis" (the final s is wrong if one wants to be grammatically correct), so I thought it was right to call him in English (and I've read in this way in many sites and book I have about Bugatti), but I know the name, thank you.

Coming back to the subject, I don't know if I would like to go around in an Atlantic look-a-like. It's a wonderful car, a true beauty, but it's not a real thing. So I don't know. Perhaps I would buy a real Atalante, but I can understand who buy replicas, in a world where classic car prices are sky-rocketing (I'm glad to see someone loves this old coffeepots, but on the other hand the idea of buying a serious one is even more far, and it's a bit sad to notice that many buyer only want to make an investment). I wonder about the costs...obviously not for me, I don't have money not even for the replica.

Why "Coupé Aéro" is more correct than "Atlantic"? It seems to me (but the book "Divina Bugatti" with the brochure is upstairs and I don't want to go to see, so I'm not sure :D ) that in real brochures the car is called in both ways...so if the car isn't Atlantic-correct is neither Coupé Aéro-correct...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:29 pm 

Hellé23 wrote:
Why "Coupé Aéro" is more correct than "Atlantic"? It seems to me (but the book "Divina Bugatti" with the brochure is upstairs and I don't want to go to see, so I'm not sure :D ) that in real brochures the car is called in both ways...so if the car isn't Atlantic-correct is neither Coupé Aéro-correct...

the first two orders
Attachment:
374-375.jpg
374-375.jpg [ 9.95 KiB | Viewed 14492 times ]

chassis numbers:
57331 Coupe Special
57374 Coupé Aéro
57375 Coupé Aéro -------> 57453 :?:
57453 Coupé Aéro
57473 Atlantic
57591 Aérolithe
Attachment:
373-374-375.jpg
373-374-375.jpg [ 75.74 KiB | Viewed 14492 times ]

Last edited by Uwe on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

Aero
Atlantic
Aerolithe

I guess the factory did not know either...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:10 pm 

Hellé23 wrote:
I know the real name of Ettore Bugatti.
In the end, I'm Italian, so I could know how it's written (who can imagine, eh?).
But we are on an English forum, so I thought this was the English way.
I've heard "Turin" and "Milan", and "Bugattis" (the final s is wrong if one wants to be grammatically correct), so I thought it was right to call him in English (and I've read in this way in many sites and book I have about Bugatti), but I know the name, thank you.

Coming back to the subject, I don't know if I would like to go around in an Atlantic look-a-like. It's a wonderful car, a true beauty, but it's not a real thing. So I don't know. Perhaps I would buy a real Atalante, but I can understand who buy replicas, in a world where classic car prices are sky-rocketing (I'm glad to see someone loves this old coffeepots, but on the other hand the idea of buying a serious one is even more far, and it's a bit sad to notice that many buyer only want to make an investment). I wonder about the costs...obviously not for me, I don't have money not even for the replica.

I have never in nearly forty years heard M.Bugatti called Hector.Is this the real name for ettore in italien? I am amazed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:02 pm 

Lazarus wrote:
[Is this the real name for ettore in italien?

Ettore e Achille

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:25 pm 

No, Ettore is the right name, obviously, but I've noticed that English very often change names in their language, so I've thought this was the right way in an English forum.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:30 am 

Hellé23 wrote:
No, Ettore is the right name, obviously, but I've noticed that English very often change names in their language, so I've thought this was the right way in an English forum.

This would be a dangerous assumption to make.We may have changed a few names after the norman conquest [in 1066 AD ] but I do not recall any recent changes.This is one of the peculiarities of the french.If something was not invented in france then they change its name.What for instance is an "ordinateur" ? Don't know? try Computor.The whole world calls it a computor except the french.Seriously though the english might have trouble pronouncing a foreign name they always keep to the original spelling.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:59 am 

I think we must differ geographical names from personal names. Countries and often also cities have different names in different languages. Whether in an English text Milano is called Milan, or Roma Rome, doesn't make a big difference. More difficult it may be in German where Milano is "Mailand", which nearly no Italian will understand. Some Germans surely know that "Köln" in English and French is "Cologne", but the Dutch "Keulen" is an absolute alien for them.

Personal names normally are not translated, they are given to a person and documented in registers and papers. Immigrants sometimes change their names to integrate easier into their new environment, but either this is done officially or commonly accepted and used. Also internationally operating persons sometimes voluntary adapt a more international name. The Italian race driver and journalist Conte Giovanni Lurani Cernuschi is better known as Johnny Lurani, because this was more comfortable than watching Anglosaxons breaking their tongue when trying to pronounce "Giovanni". Finally even his Italian compatriots used the "Johnny", and he was pleased with it.

Ettore Bugatti never changed his name to German or later French, neither officially and also not internally. He was born as Ettore, and died as Ettore.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next