It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum rules

As this forum section can lead to overheated heads, this section is tightly moderated. At the sllightest suspection of a thread going into the wrong direction, action will be taken.

Post subject: Dimensions
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:12 am 

I'm in the process of doing some preliminary AutoCAD drawings of the chassis profile for a replica Type 59, to be waterjet cut.

From advice recieved here, I purchased the Bugatti book. Although it has very little information on the Type 59 (there was only a hand full of them made anyway), it does give some basic dimensions.

I also purchased the basic .dxf drawings from "The-Blueprints" website, which I have imported into my cnc software, and am slowly picking out individual components to work from.

I have also purchased a couple of diecast scale models from Burago, to study & measure from.

Here is my problem. There appears to be a significant descrepency between the dimensions given in the Bugatti book & the dimensions I have taken & then calculated to scale, from the diecast model.

My question is; how reliable are the dimensions given in the Bugatti book?
how accurate are the scale diecast models?

If I can get an accurate wheelbase & track measurement. I can scale the dxf drawings from "The Blueprints" website to match. Then I have something to work from.

Post subject: Re: Dimensions
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:51 am 
Site Admin

The Bburago model is not that accurate. Keep in mind that when Bburago came with their 1:18 range of models, they found out that the first model (the Rolls) did not fit the box, and they made it 1:20 instead of 1:18.

Then when they started producing models from smaller cars (like the T59) they decided to upscale them a bit. The T59 from Bburago is more 1:15 than 1:18.

There is a thread on this forum about this. Based on the Bauer 1:18 Royale. Which turns out to be 1:16....

Anyhow, it is very risky to base a 1:1 model on a model car.

Try and get a couple of real dimensions, and work from there.

There once was a guy on Ebay, by the way, selling T59 polyester bodywork.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:42 pm 

I've got the Bugatti factory drawing of the 59 chassis, but it's not with me at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:10 pm 

I've found a rough photograph of the drawing. The length of the longerons is 3229mm, and the distance between the outside of the longerons is 800mm. The photograph isn't the greatest, so these maybe wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what it says.
Does this tally with any dimensions that you have?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:39 am 

Thankyou.
The measurements in the bugatti book have the wheel base at 2600mm.

When I scaled the "blueprints" drawing, I got it to 2598mm (so within 2mm). At that, I make the overall chassis rail length to be 3423mm (which would be 3425mm if you add the missing 2mm).

I know scaling from a model isn't really ideal, but as there were only 6 of them made, the chances of me having an original at my disposal to measure from is pretty slim. I'm certainly not aware of any in Australia that i could look at.
Probably about the same chance of me owning one..... hence the reason why I'm considering building my own.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:54 pm 

speek to Charles at Tula he has probably built more of them than the factory did http://www.tula-bug.co.uk/contacts.html
a very good enginer.