It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum rules

As this forum section can lead to overheated heads, this section is tightly moderated. At the sllightest suspection of a thread going into the wrong direction, action will be taken.

Post subject: Re: PUR SANG Quality?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:16 am 

hi udolahr,
i am not sure how to post a picture of a slackness of wheel and worm ;-)
the problem i solved was the slackness of the bearings of the wheel axle.
steering, during standing of the car, caused that the axle moved back and forward - visible!!!
now, with new bearings, that problem must be solved but the play between the tooth of the wheel and worm is not to solve "that easy".
so i think only a new one will help.
but i do not know how original or new steering boxes behave in comparison to my one....
i do not know one with a 35B or similar where i could have a look to see what's normal.
i could travel to mulhouse (over baden-baden :wink:) to check it, but i think they won't be happy with that ;-)
in the next days i reassemble my car wirth the steering box and then (spring) i will make a test drive whether the steering has become better. i will also check geometry of wheels until then.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:28 pm 

If the axle move back and forward , new bearings and shims . Your box has axial roller bearings ? If you like to investigate a new steering box , I have original and new ones .
"play between the teeth of the wheel and worm". Easy , you take the pins out , and move the front part up . Tight the nuts and drill new holes for the pins . That the way Bugatti did it .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:43 pm 

The best way to get the perfect steering box . Diamond dust with oil . Common practise for high precision gears . But car people , especially Bugatti " experts " still do not know about it .

Attachments:
P1010479.JPG
P1010479.JPG [ 585.2 KiB | Viewed 14454 times ]
P1010478.JPG
P1010478.JPG [ 581.92 KiB | Viewed 14454 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:58 pm 

no, it's not the axle of the worm that moves back and forward, it is the space between the teeth (i think).

Udolahr wrote:
take the pins out , and move the front part up . Tight the nuts and drill new holes for the pins .

Fantastic!!!! newer thought of that. respect, you know what you are talking about!
i thought of eccentric bearings, but couldn't imagine how to measure it and fabricate and who will do it and so on.....
BUT...i am not sure if it works on my one because i am afraid the teeth could touch the ground without solving the problem of slackness. than it seems it's time for the vice and the grinder...
as i wrote, there is only one position where the wheels are turning - one teeth further or back and the steering is blocking!
yesterday i assembled the f...ing (sorry) steering and spend a lot of time to find out how to make the stuff with the locking wire. seems that i have to do it again and test your advice, hoping the alloy part will not look like emmentaler after i am ready..
apropos pins, PS put one pin in the housing without drilling holes on the other side so they had to break the end of the too long pin off - unbelievable.

great pictures, thanks - lot of work to make it perfect!

by the way - how much would be one of your steering boxes? you have the arms also? the "original" have lot of deep scratches and holes in the ball!???? (epileptical use of a grinder?)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:11 pm 

With engineers blue you can make a very good steering box . But time consuming .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:18 pm 

and if this doesn't work or if i can't do it, what i have to spend for a new one?
at the moment i am not willing to spend a lot of money for a lathe and a milling machine only to fix a steering box.
or is it cheaper than a box????

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:43 pm 

How can a man survive without a lathe ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:40 pm 

the same i think twice a year, but is it enough to buy one?
may be i buy one if there will be a blow-up-lathe some day. that will save some place i need until now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:54 pm 

so, i fixed it using some parts of, i would say, a banana...now nearly no play at all and that without using such silly things like a lathe, grinder or what else of wonder machines you taking about !
steering is a little bit rough, but it's an old car... no power steering, but perfect enough for staying in a museum or dining room.
does anybody need an "may be, sorry must be original" Bugatti T35B, restored in top conditions under using some molsheim and some reproduction parts?
a guy gave me as present a "possible original" screw and with this it gave me the possibility to restore this car to a nearly original car! never thought it will work to finish this barnfind to such outstanding and iconic piece of history.
best offers via PM
sells at it is, no warranty!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:17 pm 

hello again,

its a long time ago. still living ;-)
my conclusion about driving a pur sang Bugatti type 35 b in the meantime:

don´t touch anything or you will drive with panic in mind but you should have a look on everything or you will die....

in the meantime i found some more "interesting things".
i wondered why i had so massive dents in my undertray (bought it so) because of the dancing front axle. thought this is normal.
but a few weeks ago i dismantled the shock absorbers to improve them.
i began with the left (thank god) and then the right wondering where the little pin is that i found welded on the left outer drum.
it isn´t missing (lost) or broken - it was never mounted!
this little pin prevents the outer brass ring from turning in the steel drum.
the total idiot from poor sang that mounts the parts has just ignored the missing pin - and believe me you will notice that!
so the right shock absorber NEVER really worked.
i could see, that the guy that drove the car before also tried to check the damper but only dismantled the right one so he didn´t know anything from a little pin in the drum that was missing.
now it is a complete other car. driving has changed massive! much better in road holding and no stamping any more.
but now the next problem occurred....