It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

The chassis drawing is of a T57S. Perfectly suitable for the Atlantic.

About the American: Wheels are too thick, and too small. Nice project, however.

More tomorrow evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:42 am 

Here are some original pictures of the first Atlantic in the courtyard of the factory. The pictures were taken by Jean Bugatti himself, at lunch time: ((check out the wheel rims!)
This car was ordered by Lord Rotchild, and was driven in the afternoon of that day to London by Mischal.
the color of the car was a light blue/grey.
On top left, is a list of the names of customers who had ordered a type 57. You can see that the Atlantic is named "coupé aéro". Only one 57 was ordered with a compressor (Bertrand) (this is a factory note to Jean)

This one tells the story of the Atlantic which had an accident with a train:
It is said here that the color found on the remains of the wrecked car were painted in light blue/grey too? But you can see also a list of all the different owners of that car since it was sold until the destruction.(happy times were a mechanic could afford a car like that!)
Are also listed the parts and the serial numbers of the gearbox, engine etc. Everything seems to have been destroyed, including the engine,gearbox and other mechanical elements. Strangly, the gearbox wasn't already the original one anymore, but was coming from the Atalante 57663 wich was located in Nice, at the same time of the Atlantic, around 1949...(doesn't seem like there was not a lot left over....-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:14 pm 

I just received an very kind E mail from Mister Wingrove, who tells me that he sold all of his blueprints and material to an american named Mr Pomco wich wanted to follow Mister Wingrove's work...
I sended him an E mail asking for copies of those blueprints, let's wait what will come out of it;
on the other hand, I contacted Art collection auto to ask questions about the Atlantic they are building on request. I was answered that it was made on customer's specifications, the waiting list is six months, and the price will be 19000 euros...If I buy one, my wife kills me!
Anyway, I think I have enough to start on the drawings for the Atlantic, and even to start making some pieces of the chassis. I will post pictures as soon I did something.
Here is a picture of the art collection auto ( www.art-collection-auto.fr )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:43 pm 

I have a probem...
Wich one of those two chassis is the right one?
The first one is presented by someone I lost the name of, building a 57 sc chassis for himself. After cheking the drawings I have, it looks pretty right:

This one is presented by art collection auto ( www.art-collection-auto.fr ) to beeing a 57 sc chassis too. (the one they use to build the Atlantic)...There are many differences in the shape of the side rails and in the reinforcements of the ladder...:

Who can I beleive????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

The first chassis could have been made by Francisco Pulido. (www.fpmodels.com)

However, due to a bad internet connection, I cannot open the photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:34 pm 

The first picture is a chassis of a type 57 S (Wheelbase 2980 mm). Secons picture is a chassis of a standard type 57 (Wheelbase 3300 mm).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:05 pm 

Thanks riquaavarama
What means that I can use those picures as a referal for the shah's car, and the other for the Atlantic ! This will help me a lot!
I was thinking there were small differnces between the twoo, but it looks like twoo different chassis. I hope it will not be the same with the engines and accessoires. But it means too that auto miniature art are basing their Atlantic on a wrong base....
Anyway, I contacted tjhe Bugatti trust to try to locate the Shah's car, and I hope they will be able to help me. (Mister Wingriove gave me advice to do so)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:55 pm 

Hello Stefwings,

As far as I know the only difference between the 57 and 57 S is the length of the chassis. Engine is the same. Some cars where equipped with a compressor. This is the case for both the standard 57 and the 57S. As Herman mentioned earlier I am planning to start the drawing work on the Chassis of both the 57 and 57S soon. First my new computer must be delivered. I have a part of the drawing of the 57 SC Corsica Wingrove made and also a copy of the original drawing of the 57SC chassis. Both drawings will be the base for my planned 3D drawing work.

Probably the Bugatti Trust can (or will) not tell you where the shah's car is located at the moment.. Probably I have the answer some ware in my piles of Bugatti info.. Will sent you a PM later this week.

Regards,

Rivaaquarama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:01 pm 

Hello Stefwings,

As you probably know there where only 3 original Atlantic’s made. After the 2nd world war a lot of replica’s where build. Most of them based on a standard type 57. The standard chassis was then shortened. Maybe the model of auto miniature art was based on such modified type 57.

Best regards,

rivaaquarama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:25 pm 

It's very possible, but then it must be called "miniature of a Atlantic" replica, not an original Atlantic. Remenber the price...19000 euros...
They have the Syedoux Bugatti in France to use as a base...With the backing of the new Bugatti factory, it must not be a problem to receive the autorisation to do so...
Anyway, I'm working on drawings of the 57S chassis, and it's incredible how difficult itis to find out all the little details. There is always something in the way on a picture! First I draw a complete chassis (just copying the original drawings I have) and then I draw every piece separately, so I have a referal when I'm making them. Lot of work...Even on a computer!
Anyway, about the Shah 's car, I think I read something about the owners of that car on the net, and why they painted it in a pinkysh purple (beurk!) From what I remember, they where americans from Texas???I'm not sure, but I will go around the net again to find out. I hope the Bugatti trust will help me, Mister Wingrove told me to do so, because he had the experience to never have any difficulties to locate a car... I will see what they will answer me..
On the other hand, Paul Grant from Brussels is a good friend of mine, and I will go to visit him tomorrow and talk a bit...Maybee he knows?
I will let you know.

Last edited by Stefwings on Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:25 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:06 pm 

I located the Shah's car. It is In the Petersen museum in Los Angeles. But I dont find any e mail to contact the responsable person or the curator of the collection. If someone knows something about that museum and a way to contact them....
I received also a answer from Mister Pomco (the man who owns the drawings from Mister Wingrave). he agree to sale copies of those drawings for 175 us dollars. For 3 sheets (A3) I dont no if I do need them anymore, because I'm going my way and it's going pretty well with my own drawings. (i'm drawing on the computer).So.....
All I need now are the extorior dimensions of the Atlantic ( total lenght and width) If you could find it, it will help me a lot....