It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: 57 Atlantic
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:53 am 

Hello Bugatti's lovers,,
I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some help...(I'm located in Belgium)
I build already a lot of 1/8 scale model cars in the past, (Cobra Daytona, Porsche 911 GT2, Ferrari 512 BB Le Mans European Univesity, some other Ferrari's, etc) and now I would like to scratch-build a 1/8 scale model of the Bugatti Atlantic and a Shah of Iran (Figoni) 57 as well.
If the body and interior pictures (even blueprints) aren't hard to find on the web, to find some good pictures of a chassis, engine and suspensions (details) is another challenge...
I wonder if anybody here could help me?
Thank very much for possible help.
Congratulations anyway for the quality of your informations on this site.

Last edited by Stefwings on Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Stefwings,

I like your idea of creating a Bugatti type 57S Atlantic and Type 57 van Vooren (Shah of Iran)

What kind of materials are you planning to use, and how detailed do you want to make the cars?

Love to see your work, anyhow. (of the other cars). Do you have pictures?

best regards,

Herman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:26 pm 

Thanks for answering
I will make the body in carbon fiber wich aloud me to go very thin, except for the enginecap and the doors which will be made in brass.
All the other pieces will be casted (I have a friend who owns a foundry and it's pretty easy to carve wax, when you're used to it ) or machined brass and chrome plated, nickel plated or polished afterwards.
The chassis will be made in brass or zinc, I think.
About the details, I'm planning to have opening doors and bonnet, so I will need to reproduce the the engine in detail and the interior, but I will not go too far because I dont want to spend two or three years to that project. (I have also another regular job and a...wife!!!)
I'm just to the point where I'm putting everything together, and don't have any pictures to show of my other cars, because I made them on order for customers and sold them. Unfortunately, I lost the pictures in a moving from the US back to Belgium, but the people I made them for were very happy of my babies....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:48 am 
Site Admin

I like the idea of creating a top-quality car model. I have not seen your approach before (carbon fiber and carved (lost) wax) but I like the idea.

I have been thinking about using glass fiber or carbon fiber for a car model. (I work in that industry) but till so far I never tried it.

Probably rivaaquarama can help you as well. I am sure he well react when he is back from holidays.

Post subject: Type 57
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:39 pm 

It seems to me that Gerald Wingrove sold plans that might have included an Atlantic. However, I just checked his site and didn't see any plans there. Maybe you should contact him. Do any forum members know about this? On the Shah of Persia car, I scratchbuilt this in 1/24th scale and have plans somewhere, that I developed from photographs. It would take a while, I might be able to dig those plans out. Pico

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:34 pm 

Hello Pico,
OK, I will try to bve in touch with Gerald Wingrove, who knows what can come out of it? Maybee a miracle?
About the shah' s car the pictures of that car are pretty rare and are always the same ones... it is a problem, because I couldn't find any of the mesurements of the car, no lenght, no widh, nothing...All I can do is take the size of a 37 S chassis and go from there, but I don't like to do so... So if you ever had a blueprint of the car, I will be very happy to start from it...
Thanks anyway for the tips, documentation is the key to build a good looking model...

Post subject: T57 plans
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:54 pm 

I hope Wingrove has them. If not, a starting point would be the Atlantic plans posted on SMCars: http://www.smcars.net/forums/bugatti/32 ... c-1938-a.h . One of those plans are from the Profile Publications, the other an English modeling magazine. About the Shah car, if there were plans of it, I would have known about them, as I collect them and spent several years researching and building the car. I can run you copies of everything that I have on the car. Pico

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:43 am 

Thanks for the tips, Pico.
I hope Mr Wingrove can help me, but I have enough now to start the drawings of the Atlantic. All I need for that car now are some good pictures of a naked chassis, because I dont have a clue to how is looking the interior of the brakes drums, for example, and where goes the exaust pipe, how does it split to become a six pipes exhaust? (6 pipes for 8 cylinders? Why was that? For the music, maybee?)...
About the Shah's car, I will be very pleased to use your blueprints, because I think you're the only one who has ever made them! It will save me a lot of time...Nothing on the web, nothing in books, always the same pictures from american shows, I have ONE picture of what's under the bonnet....But if i take the Atlantic chassis as a base, I will be pretty close to reality, I think...
About the body, It's another game. I'm trying to draw over picture (with a mask in Jasc paint shop), and it's working...The problem is that I don't have a real side, front or rear view, it's always 3/4....
Anyway, happy New Year....

Last edited by Stefwings on Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:35 am 
Site Admin

Gerald Wingrove can probably dig out plans for you. My experience with him is that he is very friendly and will always do his best for people.

You can use this link for E-mailing him:

http://forum.bugattibuilder.com/profile.php?mode=email&u=57

(his nickname on this board is Gerald)

Please be aware that to my best knowledge, the Shah of Iran car is built on a T57 chassis, not a T57S chassis. There are several differences in the chassis.

I will prepare some photos of T57S chassis, for the Atlantic. I will also try and get hold of some drawings of T57 and T57S chassis. (they are in several books).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:19 pm 

Af far as I understand, the Shah's car is build on a 57 chassis with a compressor...
I suppose there are some differnces (the height of the chassis, already) and I will try to find out the other ones. But the engine, and all the accessories must be the same or pretty close, so I will not need to be redoing everything... That's why I'm planning to use this chassis several times with different bodies (maybee should I wait to be in another life ?) :lol:
I just send a mail to Mr Wingrove asking him for blueprints or pictures, just wait and see...
Thanks anyway for all the help and let me wish to all Bugatti's fans a very happy new Year....

Last edited by Stefwings on Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:28 pm 

This isn't a Bugatti, but, hey, what a body....:wink:

Last edited by Stefwings on Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:45 pm 

Stefwings wrote:
This isn't a Bugatti, but, hey, what a body....

Yes! Nice looking car too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:25 pm 

I've been in touch with the owners of the some of the models I've made already, and I'm going to try to make new pictures...Hope this will work out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

Pictures will probably be tomorrow. Today is a lost day due to family affairs... Will probably be occupied for the rest of the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:27 pm 

I found this...
Thanks Pico...
Very good base to start...
It seems to be an original blueprint ( It's dated 36, updated 37 )....
And I found this too... :o
http://home.new.rr.com/trumpetb/57SC/
:lol: :lol: :lol:, but, ok, the man wants an Atlantic as a daily driver, and don't want or can't waist his money to a replica, so...

Last edited by Stefwings on Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.