It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: WIP 1/12 Christian Gouel Atlantic
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:54 pm 

I am doing this project for Herman: he is doing the paintwork and I will do the build. :D

It is the Bugatti T57 SC Atlantic (Chassis #57591), a limited ( #31/61) 1:12 series from the "Atelier Christian Gouel" The kit consists of resin, metal, leather, wood, photo etch and cloth and is a curbside model.

Some history

#57591 was initially purchased by R.B. Pope of London in Dark Sapphire Blue. The car still bears its EXK6 plate from its original registration in the UK. It was supercharged in 1939, before being sold to notable author Barry Price in the sixties. Eventually New York designer Ralph Lauren picked up the car from venture capitalist Tom Perkins. He commissioned Paul Russel to comprehensively restore #57591 using as many original parts as possible. During the lengthy two-year procedure, Paul and his team discovered details such as original tan goatskin upholstery and seats filled with horsehair bags wrapped in muslin. After the project was complete it was shown at the 1990 Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance where it won best of show. Like many of Ralph's Bugattis the car is finished in black.[/quote]

The kit

On my index finger you see a few rivets: 1000 pcs have to done by hand :cry: :cry:

Ton

Post subject: Re: WIP 1/12 Christian Gouel Atlantic
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:44 am 

peperbus wrote:
I am doing this project for Herman: he is doing the paintwork and I will do the build. :D

It is the Bugatti T57 SC Atlantic (Chassis #57591), a limited ( #31/61) 1:12 series from the "Atelier Christian Gouel" The kit consists of resin, metal, leather, wood, photo etch and cloth and is a curbside model.

Some history

#57591 was initially purchased by R.B. Pope of London in Dark Sapphire Blue. The car still bears its EXK6 plate from its original registration in the UK. It was supercharged in 1939, before being sold to notable author Barry Price in the sixties. Eventually New York designer Ralph Lauren picked up the car from venture capitalist Tom Perkins. He commissioned Paul Russel to comprehensively restore #57591 using as many original parts as possible. During the lengthy two-year procedure, Paul and his team discovered details such as original tan goatskin upholstery and seats filled with horsehair bags wrapped in muslin. After the project was complete it was shown at the 1990 Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance where it won best of show. Like many of Ralph's Bugattis the car is finished in black.

"notable author" ? LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:04 pm 

Is it? :lol: ....and I forgot the source :twisted:

Ton

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:28 pm 

This is a long term project because I don't have much time and.....working with resin is not my cup of tea. So I have to tell myself frequently to work on this model .....and I know some good excuses to do not . I will show all the stages of the build because a few future builders of this model follow this thread.

The first thing I did was deepening to groove where the "comb" will be placed.

The radiator needs to be lowered

Some resin needs to be removed to make it possible to lower the radiator, so it is more in line with the hood
With "green stuff" I filled the spaces.

I removed the resin indicators and replaced it with a brass one. Working with resin is something I don't like: it is not very healthy so you always have to use protection ...and that is a fuzz.

Dry fitting all the parts

....and the worst thing: fill all the dents etc with filler ( see all the grey spots)

After that it was time for the "combs". I soldered the first ones together to get a good grip. The tension in the brass is high.

Than the rest is glued with epoxy

Image .

I saw on the pictures of the original that the "comb" on the roof of the model was to high

I cut the upper part from the "comb" to lower it.

Now it is ready for the next stage: painting which will be done by the owner.

And I will continue with the Promocom Ferrari

Ton