It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:02 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Bugatti type 35 by Art Collection Auto (Challenger) by John
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:15 am 
Site Admin

John is a guy who I met on another forum. He was building a "Bugatti Challenger" which is the type 35 in kit form from Art Collection Auto.

He just posted some pictures of the finished model on the photo server:

More at:
http://www.bugattibuilder.com/photo/thu ... ?album=929

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:56 am 

Hi Herman,
Thanks for putting this link in. I would be happy to answer any questions that members may have.
Now back to the project I had started before the Bugatti arrived. The A.C.A kit had it's problems but they are nothing to the 1/12 Maserati 250F kit I have on my bench at the moment!
All the best
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:27 am 

Wonderful work john, congrulatation !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:45 am 
Site Admin

I have some questions for you:

On the other forum you say "almost finished". What jobs still need to be done?

Will you treat this beautiful Bugatti with a purpose built display case?

A Maserati in 1:12. Sounds interesting. Who made the kit?

Best regards,

Herman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:36 pm 

Hi Herman,
and Scuderia CC thanks for your comments.
Herman to answer your questions I had to fit the small screws around the circumference of the wheels ,(now done), fix the steering wheel in place and do a little paint detailing. I won't solder the wheel as this would make repairing any future damage very difficult and the steering wheel can't turn the wheels as there is too much friction in the system. I follow Gerald Wingrove's thoughts on this and that is if you make the wheels able to go around somewhere sometime somebody will push the model or in this case turn the wheel. And as we know these are models not toys! And as I know he visits this site can I take a moment to thank Mr Wingrove for his fantastic books all of which I own, his work is inspiring.

I will be building a wooden base for the car but not a case. I intend to use a local timber that we call Myrtle but is also known as Tasmanian Cherry. It has a lovely dark red colour. Inset into the timber will be the EB carved from aluminium that is the reversed E attached to the B that you see on the Bugatti radiator badge or label as Bentley used to call them. Also inset will be Type 35 done in the same manner. Herman if you have a good quality picture of the EB that I could use somewhere on the site could you let me know where it is?

Ah the Maserati 250 F! What a shambles! It was a kit made by Total Model of Italy once known as Modellismo Leonardo. The problems are numerous starting with a resin body that bears very little resemblance to the real thing especially around the cockpit. If you are interested I have a sequence of pictures demonstrating the problem that I could send you. Anyway after much work the body is starting to look like the real car.

Projects to come are the single seater Brooklands Bentley in 1/12 for myself. A 1/16 Itala for a client. A 1/16 Ford Mustang convertible also for a client. I will also start the second A.C.A kit sometime in 2008 this will be for myself and it will represent a car driven by Helle Nice who is a heroine of mine. I am currently looking for a Pocher Alfa Spyder for myself as well. I have a project in mind for it and it will look well next to my Alfa Monza. I also have many sets of wire wheels to hand lace which are designed to replace the very poor ones on the Protar Fiat's. I didn't machine these but will assemble and sell some of them. They also fit the Airfix 1/12 4 and a 1/2 Litre Blower Bentley.
So quite a bit to do!
Cheers
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:53 pm 

Hello John,

Nice job on the ACA T35. My kit still sits in its plastic box, hopefully not waiting for my retirement.

ACA has been selling a book on ebay with construction photos (no text) for this kit, something they should have included from the start. The photos are nice to have, but for US $200?

I have laced wire wheels for several 4.5 liter Bentley kits, and had planned the same for my Protar FIAT. Please keep me informed about your wheels, it will save me some time I don't have!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:00 am 

Hi Brady,
Yes I agree the A.C.A book should have come with the kit and at $200.00 is very pricey! I will send you a picture of the wheels soon.
Best regards
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:13 am 

Hi Herman,
the finished Type 35 pictures appear to be lost. Would you like me to upload them again?
Cheers
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, please do!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:09 pm 

Where did the photos go of this beautiful model ?? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:20 am 

Hi modelmaker,
thanks for your kind comments. I am attempting to upload the pictures again but there seems to be a problem. The connection times out. Perhaps my files are too large. I will reduce them and try again.
Cheers
John