It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1/4 scale T50
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:54 pm 

Herman wrote:
Looking good!. Is it steel or alu?

Steel Liner, Aluminum piston and cast iron rings is the plan.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:39 pm 

Not much to report right now but i did manage to get the cylinder liners finished and ready to be pressed in. I had been using my milling machine as a makeshift press but now that i have the Bridgeport that's just not going to happen. So now i'm on the hunt for a semi good sized arbor press to do these types of things. Until then I will move on to something else but I don't know what.

??????????????

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

Perhaps a local garage that can help out?

Or heat up the assembly untill the liners drop in place. (only works if the metals are different)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:53 pm 

Just cool the liners in liquid nitrogen might also work!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:32 am 

J.J.Horst wrote:
Just cool the liners in liquid nitrogen might also work!

You guy's are missing the point. I get to go by a new tool if i do it my way!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:58 am 
Site Admin

Then get the tool! We are excited!

Perhaps Harbour Freight?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:04 pm 

Herman wrote:
Then get the tool! We are excited!

Perhaps Harbour Freight?

Nope! The quality of the tools at Harbor Freight is so poor that I wouldn't buy one from there at any price. The casting was terrible and the movement was very poor. I purchased one from KBC tool that was very high quality and the movement is smooth as silk.

Tomorrow we move forward!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:53 am 
Site Admin

Great.

Never been at Harbour freight. However, we have an importer of all kinds of metal working tools (lathes, routers, etc) and the stuff he buys in China actually is not that bad. It usually just needs another day of fiddling and adjusting to get it on par with western world stuff, which usually can be used out of the box.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:48 pm 

Got the block finished up. I used a q-tip and painted the surfaces that make contact with the green loc-tite. Green is a very thin liquid that creeps into very narrow gaps. Then using the new arbor press and a small aluminum ram tool that i made, I rammed the liners in. I broke the lower edges of the liner steps with a piece of sand paper so they slid in real nice but it did take a little force.

Over to the mill where i milled the extra .025 off the tops of the liners to bring them down to the deck height.

The bores were finished up in the mill. I like boring in the mill because the sleeves are installed and I dont have to worry about damaging them during the installation. Also the boring head gives me the best chance for a straight bore with minimum taper and the size between all cylinders should be very close because the boring head gets set and all 8 holes are bored. Cant do that on the lathe, well i cant!

With a little debur and a puff of air and she is all ready to be honed. The finish is so nice off the boring bar that very minimum honing will be needed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:13 am 
Site Admin

Well done, Steve!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:36 am 

Started on a set of pistons today. I make the pieces long and turn a diameter on the end so there will be something to hang on to.

The piece is chucked and the OD is turned and the ring grooves are cut. My target was .8495 - .850. I managed to hit the target 8 times in a row. 2 of them were so close i rubbed them with some paper rather than take a chance of cutting under size.

The pieces were flipped upside down and I sat and watched the mill clean out the bottoms.

Tomorrow I hope to get them cross drilled and installed on the rods.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:02 am 
Site Admin

It is always nice to see a machine do all the hard work for you. Again a very nice update!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:40 am 

Well today was another awesome day in the garage. We have pistons!!

I hate drilling into anything round because, well, it sucks. I never seem to hit center or my drill seems to drift so i came up with this solution so i could "measure once, cut 8 times". I grabbed the smallest piece of square stock i could find. I turned 2 diameters on it, one being the diameter of the skirt ID - .002 and the same length as its depth. I also turned the smaller diameter .002 smaller than the second step way down in the deepest part of the piston recess.

Then i put it in the mill and milled off enough material so the center was left and was .248 wide. That makes the width .002 less than the slot in the piston.

The piston went on about 3/4 of the way and with a few light taps, it slid right on. I didn't even need to hold it on there but i still used my thumb just in case. Knowing it would work and knowing the large square surface is the bottom of the piston, I found center and that edge and laid out the hole and drilled it .010 larger than the wrist pin.

Then one after another I slid them on and spot drilled, drilled and reamed all eight pistons.

After that step was done I rechucked them in the lathe and parted them off.

I dont have a collet to fit the pistons so i wrapped them in a piece of paper to keep from scuffing them up. If you were wondering what the 3rd ring groove is for. That groove is the top of the piston +.005. I faced the top of the piston until the groove was gone and then took .005 more. The top edge was broken with a piece of 320 grit paper.

All that was left was to debur the wrist pin holes and FINISHED!! Wooohooo!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:42 pm 

After working 29 hours over Friday and Saturday, I was thinking it was time to do something that required very little brain power. I had the gcode finished for some plates that go on the inspection plates. I ended up breaking a 12 dollar bit mostly due to my head being in a fog but it went quite well. I used a .020 end mill and the 2 plates took about 4-1/2 hours to cut. I used the time to clean up around the garage.

The two plates are about 2" wide and 1" tall. Details are cut in .025 deep and the oval is .005 short of cutting thru. I should be able to press the plates right out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:26 am 
Site Admin

Very nice. I completely do not understand the randomness at which a CNC machine performs these actions. I used to have a plotter, and that also drew the drawings completely at random. It is the end result that count, but the thing in between...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next