It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Disappearing topics.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:23 am 

Earlier this evening I saw an interesting post re. 4815 - by the time I've composed a response the posting has disappeared. Very annoying. I then have to look for it, by which time I get bored, pour myself another glass or wine and maybe lose interest.

Is there an easier way or organising the postings ?

On another subject, I have been advised that your correspondent Whitney Paine has made a disparaging comment about Wales. Is this true ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:15 am 
Site Admin

To my best knowledge, the 4815 thread is where it should be, and was never moved. even if it was moved during the typing of your reply, the reply should be accepted. (at least if communication between your computer and the server is OK).

Please do remember that the forum is becoming more active, and posts are ordered with the most recent replied one on top. So the topics can shift violently with more activity.

About Wales:
I know about Wales - England issues in the UK, but understood it was something like the Netherlands / Belgium issues we have here, which should not prevent friendly co-existance, and definately on this forum.
I think your contributions, and the contributions of fellow UK residents are great. You are truly a very active classic-racing country.

Did not see Whitney Paine over here lately. Also sent him an Email, but did not get a response. Is he OK? I understood he was very busy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:23 am 
Valued contributor

Hi Herman

Same thing happened to me on Saturday night; I prepared a post in response to a request from Model.Maker (Sean) with photos of a few T50's, previewed it a few times and then when I pushed submit, it logged me out and my post was gone. This is the first time this has happened to me. And when it happened again, that was the second time see?

Another weird occurrence is when I post from home : I have to submit quite a few times before it will post - I get a white banner on top saying Invalid Session - please resubmit. Sometimes just once or twice, once it required 13 tries! But, and this is the weird bit, it never happens at work, all my posts, without exception requires a single submit.

Neither of these qualifies as crisis', just bloody irritating. Made worse by the fact that different problems beset contributors from different countries - meaning the problem does not lie with the forum, rather with our internet providers. Speaking to the fascists who manage my service-provider is just like banging your head against a brick wall - it achieves bugger-all and gives you a headache to boot.

Thanks for letting me vent - thanking Uwe and Bugatti69 for their great photographs required pushing that damn submit icon no less than 7 times.

I feel better now.

Johan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:28 am 
Site Admin

Invalid session:

2 options:

1. You spent too much time typing your reply. However, you get a message to resubmit, and then all should be fine. A nuisiance, but nothing dramatic.

2. Somehow the server cannot read the cookie on your computer (small file which declares your username, and whether or not you are logged in).

As you have to resubmit several times, I am afraid it somehow has to do with the communication between the server and your computer. There are several parties involved in this process. Including your ISP...

Indeed it can be annoying. The only work-around I can suggest right now is copying the post to the clipboard (select all, then press CTRL-C) before submitting. If submitting fails, then you can always save the post to a text file, and try again later. Not a pretty solution, though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:57 am 
Valued contributor

Thanks Herman

Not serious enough to look for a sollution. I just felt like complaining :D

Johan