It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: "The Brescia Bugatti" by Bob King.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:47 pm 

I paid a LOT of money for this book and recently wanted to research two cars ; 1918 and 2317.

Both are listed and described in the UK Bugatti Register with thumbnail photos. and I had photos. of both in my personal database.

Both are "genuine" and known cars.

HOWEVER, apart from being included in an Appendix listing surviving cars there is no mention of either in King's book. It CANNOT therefore be regarded as a serious book of reference. It has however made David Sewell disinclined to produce a comprehensive Brescia book - a great shame.

Post subject: 40415
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:28 am 

Regarding incomplete databases why do not the England Bugatti Club list car 40415 it her database. (Micheale Steele).

Post subject: Re: 40415
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:44 pm 

Hunter wrote:
Regarding incomplete databases why do not the England Bugatti Club list car 40415 it her database. (Micheale Steele).

Hunter, I only now saw your question.
40415 will certainly be part of the BOC database but the British Register and Data Book 2000 contains only the UK Bugattis of owners that agreed to have their cars in the book! The result is that approx. 10% of the UK Bugattis are not listed.
Regards, Bugwrench

Post subject: Registers.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:13 pm 

When David Sewell was registrar he put all cars in the register whether the owners liked it or not. Some didn't like it, but, nobody sued him as some had threatened to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:40 am 
Valued contributor

I too bought the very expensive Brescia book, and in defence of the author, he does state that only owners prepared to supply details of their cars were featured. What amazes me is that so many owners of the less original cars and replicas were quite prepared to reveal everything; including photos of the proverbial "pile of bits" some of them started with. A surprising omission was Nick Baldwin's Brescia (now sold I believe), surely such an astute historian should have been keen to have his own car included?

This whole thing with Bugatti owners is quite fascinating, for his book on the T43, Jack du Gann did the same as Bob King, if the owner refused to co-operate, the author said so in no uncertain terms. For their respective works on the T57S both Laugier and Simon (and editors) had to treat some owners with extreme obsequiousness just to get access to the cars. Both authors got co-operation from Ralph Lauren and his catamite Paul Russel, but not a word of criticism was allowed about the ruination of EXK 6. Vermin, the pair of them.

I am afraid that nothing will change this sad state of affairs either; in our "civilised world" people can do with their property as they please.

I am interested to read that some people threatened to sue David Sewell for authoring a book. Surely freedom of expression trumps property rights and profit margins every time? Besides, on what grounds did they want to bring this action : that he wrote the truth? Absurdity! I write what I like, no member of the Bugatti Mafia will EVER censor me, I can assure you of that.

But Williamswinner, I agree with you, Brescia Bugatti was not cheap!

Johan

Post subject: 1918
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:13 pm 

This car has changed hands twice since NICK Baldwin sold it and I'm in touch with the present owner who had the engine rebuildt but has subsequently dismantled it to replace the lower camshaft drive-shaft bearing.

I have some up-to-date pics of the car. When I get back from Rheims / Angouleme I'll contact him to ask him if its OK to publish them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:14 pm 
Valued contributor

Photos would be very nice; if memory serves correctly this car still carries its original body, and a rather elegant one at that.

Johan