It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Jean Desvignes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:16 pm 

This well known privateer entered a Bugatti T 44until his dead in 1935. My question does anybody knows the origin of the lowered body ???

Robert

Post subject: Re: Jean Desvignes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:50 pm 

What s also, he entered his car at Spa under the 4000 cc class. As far I know, he always raced a 3 litres engines. My theory, he prefers the class win against normal cars than sharing the class with the Alfa with no chance of winning

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:59 pm 

DESVIGNES, Jean D.

A competitor in the 1933 Spa 24 hour race driving a type 44. With co-driver Mongin, he finished 4th overall behind three 8C Alfa Romeos. At Le Mans the following year he shared his car with Breton garage owner Norbert Mahé and finished in ninth place having covered 1,604 miles at an average speed of 67 mph. An excellent photograph of his car at the start at Le Mans appears in “Bugatti – A Racing History”. In July, the car won a 10 hour race for production sports cars at Spa with Mahé again sharing the driving. In August he ran in the 24 hour race at Pescara. The car ran steadily and finished, having completed fifty-eight hours of racing in just eight weeks. He competed in the Grand Prix de Tourisme in 1935 again driving a type 44 but after the race he left Reims to drive back to Paris and was killed at Jonchery-sur-Vesle when he swerved to avoid an oncoming car. His mechanic Botazo was seriously injured, but survived.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:33 pm 

I ve a big doubt that Desvignes car was the same through the years. after searching the diff pictures and looking after them :
The doors are more flat and wider in 1933 than the car at Le Mans in 1934. The car at Spa has a completely different body and standard front wings.

Robert