It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: DESKTOP SCANNERS and CINEMOI
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:55 pm 

The time has come for me to start scanning in the photo - collection I built up in the late fifties and sixties.
Most are rather poor qulaity by todays standards but interesting nevertheless.

Can anyone suggest how much I need to spend on a scanner to get the very best results ? Any suggestions as to make and model ?

On another subject completely UK members might not know about an excellent French Movie channel from SKY called Cinémoi. All films with exceelent subtitles. £9 a month. Worth it just for the wonderful foootage of street scenes in Paris in the fities. Haven't spotted a type 57 yet but it will come.

Post subject: Re: DESKTOP SCANNERS and CINEMOI
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:27 pm 

I do all my scanning on an Canon CanoScan8400F and am really pleased with the quality…. My experience is that nowadays the scanners are of such a good quality (If you pay around Euro 200-300) that it is of more importance what type of software you use for retouching the scans. My advise… Canon in combination with Adobe Photoshop elements Was delivered together with my scanner)….. and stay as far as possible from the other software delivered with the scanner…

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

I scan with an old Canon scanner, which I picked up second hand for 10 euros. The guy sold it because there were no drivers available for Windows Vista. (one week after I bought it, Canon released drivers for Vista. :lol: )

I agree with Martijn: Most scanners do a very decent job (at work I have a 80 euro scanner, also Canon, which performs very well) but most photos can benefit from a bit of retouching. It is this step in which lies the bulk of the work. However, just scanning them and making them available is a good thing already. usually it is the subject on the photo that is interesting, and not the image quality.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:14 am 
Valued contributor

I agree with Herman, leave the photographs as they are. It will add to the charm.

Johan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:23 pm 

i use an epson perfection v200 photo scanner it is duel purpose with a removable negative holder it scans colour b/w and my best results are on half frame, yes most pics do need retouching in the odd area but the qualities quiet good, but its a labourious task copying all to disk best to do a few at a time then have a break , i had good intentions but have slowed down a lot now as its very tireing