It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Machines
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:07 pm 

Johann , I am glad that you know the planet earth .I live near the center of Europa and civillization , and we call it Strassburg . Perhaps not as well known in the lower part of black Africa

The age of machines does not tell anything about quality!
It is the man , not the machine , old machines are OK , if the condition is not to bad.

About the mechanism: does it move the whole tool holder, or does it turn the tool holder?
The gearbox at the back is 1:1 . It moves the tool only in the small slide .So if the
chuck turns 180 degrees , the tool moves from back to the front . Next 180 degrees the tool goes back . Operation speed is very slow , so not dangeres at all .
What is this machine doing ? Anybody knows ? Bugatti had a device like this .

it takes 2 hours to set up, to do a 2 minute machining job. This is 100% true , did you work with machines one time ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:29 pm 

the rears on top, both 1 to 1 are for the derection of the toolsupport if engaged. (While milling, the toolsupport goes to the left or to the right)
It is now not engaged, if it was engaged, the special mechanism could not work.
It looks like a divice to make closed oil or grease groves into a bushing. :roll:
After finishing the grove, you see an circular grove in the bushing. Grease can not escape while the grove is closed. An grove loke an 8 is also possible.

Greetz,
Jean

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:55 pm 

Jean , you got it ! I had to make this oil groves like an 8 in the bearings . For example , conrod Type 5 small end bronze bushings . I guess Greg can explain us , why all this bushings , made in England , do not have any oil groves ?
Barttore, no problem with the government safety inspector . This guys have no permission to come near my building . 8)

Attachments:
Allgemein Diesel-Air 349.JPG
Allgemein Diesel-Air 349.JPG [ 194.55 KiB | Viewed 13997 times ]
Allgemein Diesel-Air 348.JPG
Allgemein Diesel-Air 348.JPG [ 241.75 KiB | Viewed 13997 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:48 pm 

I think the mistake you are making here Udo is using the actions of a few individuals to condemn the actions of a whole nation. Something I would expect you to appreciate :wink: as much as anyone.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:23 pm 

Greg , where is the english humor ? Can you not smile about it ?Do not take it seriously, it`s only tease you a little :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:21 pm 

I assure you Udo, the English humour is very much there.
I think it is all good fun.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:42 am 
Site Admin

Udolahr wrote:
it takes 2 hours to set up, to do a 2 minute machining job. This is 100% true , did you work with machines one time ?

Yes, I am a naval architect, at school we learnt how to operate a lathe (well, how much can you learn from 8 hours of machining...) but already then I had a lathe at home. (a sloppy hobbymat, with a milling attachment). Not the best of machines, but it was do-able to make parts. No Internet at that time, all knowledge was self tought. Even the local library had nothing decent for operating a lathe. Internet really changed the world.

I sold that machine long time ago, and actually never touched a lathe again. I really like to have one again, but the garden shed is not suitable for housing one. (too damp). However, perhaps already next year I will redo the whole shed, insulated and water tight.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:48 pm 

The solution of "pattes d'araignée" is no good, oil goes direct out of the bearing ! It's a long time that is know, and even interdicted by the international standards ISO...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:16 pm 

Gap ," oil goes direct out of the bearing ", can you explain why ?

I did buy my first lathe in England . It was a Myford with a milling attachment . I got it in Swindon in a second hand tool shop .And I transported it to Germany with a Morris Minor Traveller . The car was completely overloaded .

Herman , fix your garden shed , you need a lathe . I do not know how people can survive without a lathe :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:21 pm 

Udolahr wrote:
Gap ," oil goes direct out of the bearing ", can you explain why ?

I did buy my first lathe in England . It was a Myford with a milling attachment . I got it in Swindon in a second hand tool shop .And I transported it to Germany with a Morris Minor Traveller . The car was completely overloaded .

Herman , fix your garden shed , you need a lathe . I do not know how people can survive without a lathe :wink:

Sorry it's too difficult to explain for me in English :oops: I found only that on Internet :
http://books.google.fr/books?id=cF8zzVH ... &q&f=false
If someone can translate the start ? Thank you !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

Udolahr wrote:

I will...

No Myford for me. It will be a small lathe, my shed is 2x3 meters, and insulation still needs to go in. (costs another couple of cm)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:38 pm 

No Myford , it must be a small lathe :?: :?: :?:
A Myford is a small lathe . 2x3 meter is OK for a Myford and a small milling machine . Do not forget to have a hole in the shed wall , so you can feed round stock in to the chuck from autside .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

A lathe, a milling machine, a workbench (anyone has a spare Bugatti vice?), cabinets for all kind of stuff, a wall board for tools, a bike, childrens toys, garden tools, and I can continue...

I guess I will need one of these:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:40 pm 

First , you need a bigger shed . Nice machine , but only for small clocks . I think a naval architect has a tendency to much bigger things .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

I need a bigger shed, yes. In my area there are 2 small problems:

-a garage-box (2,8x5 meters) costs approx 35.000-40.000 euro.
-extending the existing shed is a possibility, but then I will have to order someone to push poles into the ground. The ground is so soft here, that everything needs to be on poles. Houses, bridges, sewage pipes, etc. Also costs a fortune...

I guess I need some patience...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next