It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum rules

As this forum section can lead to overheated heads, this section is tightly moderated. At the sllightest suspection of a thread going into the wrong direction, action will be taken.

Post subject: Re: Royale Progress
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:54 pm 

Udolahr wrote:
SHOlmes , do not go to the factore and do not ask SAS , there are better ways .

An engine with all the necessary hardware would cost about 3/4 of a complete car.
That's about what we pay on a regular base.
The best you can do is waiting till some jerk is parking his Veyron somewhere in a lake (no salt water this time please) or by default in a large tree.
You would have all the necessary parts to get the engine running as immo,controller and the 10!! original cooling fans to keep your boat floating and not burning.

Greetings.

minime

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:30 am 
Site Admin

Of if it is just about the horsepower, take an American V8 and spice it up. They might not last as long, but are relatively easy to replace.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:10 am 

also my opinion - beautiful sound :D

http://www.gatsbyonline.com/main.aspx?p ... 8&cat=auto

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:05 pm 

Herman wrote:
Of if it is just about the horsepower, take an American V8 and spice it up. They might not last as long, but are relatively easy to replace.

On the Veyron you don't have the 1000 Hp full time available either but you have to follow a complete check list before pushing the added pleasure button.
It will immediately fall back to standard power level which for sure is still quite impressive if you push the brake once during that drive.
This safety mode is for sure not only a driver protection.
Where would you be able to drive full speed over a long distance without ever touching the brake?
The only track where I ever was driving a car like that was Nardo and chances that private people will go over there to kill their engine is quite low.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:28 pm 

If you like to build a drivable Royale , the engine is the smallest problem . After Rolls Royce - Bentley discovered that their own engine is a joke , they bought a modern engine in Germany , V12 BMW . It would be easy to take the same engine . But the Royale steering box is a joke for this kind of car . For real driving you need better brakes and so on . And after all this changes and it still should look like a original , this is the main problem .

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:26 pm 

I think Lazarus had the answer to this thread earlier on - If you want to build some ghastly Royale lookalike with up to date running gear forget it . Panther Westwinds did it back in the 1970's - using V12 power and a modern(ish) rack and pinion steering set up and independant suspension. It was regarded a little dubiously and not in the best possible taste even back then in the 1970s - the decade that style forgot. Even its price tag that in convertible form was the most expensive car on the market, couldn't convince prospective purchasers of Rolls Royce to switch their allegience (hmm, is that history repeating itself)?

The whole idea is just absurd.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

Today I saw this car driving by.

I must say this car looks a lot like a Bugatti, almost indistinguishable, and definately has the same beauty. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:44 pm 

for what is a car good if it drives like a toad ?
Some month ago I was in Nottingham , investigating a 1905 original De Dietrich racing car . Very fast I recognize a big ring gear and a starter motor . A modern clutch and so on ... The guy told me , You like to talk about original ? I like to drive it .

Herman , is it a English number plate ?

Panther Westwinds was a joke , and got sold very fast to Asia .Also went to asia , Jaguar - Rover - Land Rover .

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:43 am 
Site Admin

This example is british, but I saw a very similar one in NL. Did not care to look up the rental company. (I presume no-one drives this privately, I also presume only people with very bad taste AND get married get driven in this kind of thing. My big fat gypsy wedding...)

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:42 pm 

but somebody must build this kind of car . I guess English or USA . ( hope not Germany 8) )

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:12 pm 

this weekend we have the Royale front axle ready . Started with a forging , some milling and the rest is polishing .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:43 am 

minime wrote:
What VW owns is a name that they bought out of a bankrupt company.
They try to build a history around something they build today as what Mr. Piech's idea of a Bugatti supercar should be.
They were so obsessed to show their paying customers some historic places that they ended in setting up their assembly workshop in Molsheim and if the original factory workshop wasn't still occupied by Messier they would have installed the assembly shop for sure in there.
But that what they build there has nothing to do with a Bugatti.
The engine is assembled with VW parts in the Salzgitter engine plant on the same production line than Pheaton, Bentley and Touareg engines.
For sure it’s technically a masterpiece and one can see what can be done with computer aided design and a good engine management system but for my taste there is too much VW in there.
For me Bugatti stopped existing with the T101 models after the war.
They had their glorious years while producing their cars in (French) Molsheim.
What would Ettore have answered if someone asked him if his company was German Italian or French?
Now if someone really wants to have it legally correct, during the 90’s EB 110 production, Bugatti wasn’t an Italian company either but a Luxembourgish holding…

Concerning Bugatti Royale lookalike’s with air conditioning in the passenger compartment and a VW powertrain I suppose that there is by far more originality and Bugatti spirit in an Argentinian built Pur Sang.
But a lot of money doesn't necessary mean good taste.

Greetings:

Minime

Really such a Royale reproduction is a wonderful project.
Bugatti Royale has limousine elegance and race-car pedigree.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:32 am 

If you are looking for a 16-cylinder other than a Bugatti, read on.

In the past Franco Sbarro linked to 8-cylinder engines into a 16 cylinder for his 'Royale'. This Sbarro Royale was inspired by the Bugatti Royale (but by no means a replica).

Herman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:53 am 

Udolahr wrote:
We got an order from an Hotel chain to build some Royales . This cars will have a Bugatti engine , but not the Royale engine . I hope we can make one with the Royale engine .

hello i'm tyr0 and have joined lately
may i ask is your original-engine Royale a replica-parts engine?
i agree always try to use original drawings to make new patterns for fresh castings.

with a sample real part now you can do 3D scans at vendors?
some even hire on-location portable-3D scanner operators.

we admire the Royale which merit a fine coachwork to match
will you also build the coachwork from original plans?

it is good members effort to check this tech-drawing standards

my extra question is just a side-line about French metal alloy?

i notice a difference visually in vintage alloys and cast metal
Bugatti vintage-car parts made in France have metal which appears to look like French vintage-car alloy would you say?

with slightly different grain from alloys used in Bugatti DE and Italy? to me it is easy to tell British and French alloys apart.

has your water-pump plan specified a certain alloy content?
thanks for your interest in my question