Post subject: Bugatti 100 P
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:53 am 

:shock:

http://kfor.com/2016/08/06/historic-rep ... lson-dies/

:shock:

Post subject: Re: Bugatti 100 P
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:53 am 

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=m ... 9fa85d66c3

Also :Bugatti Building from 7 Aug on the Nederland.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:18 am 

This is a massively sad affair.Our thoughts go out to the family and friends of Scotty. There are many questions to answer as to why the 100P crashed.I hope that the investigators find these answers.The whole idea of building this replica was to see whether it would have achieved the aims of the designer.Sadly the firefighters did not manage to stop the fire and probably little remains of what was essentially a wooden aircraft.Listening to the film of the takeoff, I felt that it sounded ok initially then went somewhat flat.maybe one engine went out.This would have caused a torque reaction due to one half of the contra rotating props having stopped giving power.If this happened suddenly, it may have caused the plane to bank steeply,at too low a speed this could have caused the crash.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:17 am 

Lazarus wrote:
This is a massively sad affair.Our thoughts go out to the family and friends of Scotty. There are many questions to answer as to why the 100P crashed.I hope that the investigators find these answers.The whole idea of building this replica was to see whether it would have achieved the aims of the designer.Sadly the firefighters did not manage to stop the fire and probably little remains of what was essentially a wooden aircraft.Listening to the film of the takeoff, I felt that it sounded ok initially then went somewhat flat.maybe one engine went out.This would have caused a torque reaction due to one half of the contra rotating props having stopped giving power.If this happened suddenly, it may have caused the plane to bank steeply,at too low a speed this could have caused the crash.

John, your theory sounds like a true possibility. While flying higher, a sudden cut-off of the power of one engine may possibly be corrected.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:19 am 

Early on Saturday morning, August 6, Scotty Wilson, the creator of the replica Bugatti Airplane 100P, took off on the 3rd flight, to test the workings of the retractable landing gear.

The aircraft took off safely, but less than a minute later witnesses say it banked suddenly left and crashed nose first into a field just north of the Clinton - Sherman Air Field in western Oklahoma, USA.

Eyewitness crew member Aldert Van Nieuwkoop said, "It wasn't climbing at a very high rate. The next thing that I saw was a very sharp turn to left and down she went."

Within seconds the wood frame craft caught fire.

Very, very sad news indeed. More so, because this was the 3rd flight of Wilson in the Bugatti, and would have been the last flight, after which the plane was to have been transported to a museum in England. The first two flights were successful, mayor difference now was that the landing gear was made retractable, and was in fact retracted just after take-off.

I have been in contact with Scotty since the very beginning in December 2008 with very lengthy e-mail conversations about the Bugatti Airplane, and about who was most important in the development of the Bugatti 100P, Ettore Bugatti or Louis de Monge; where Scotty was always convinced that the plane was mainly de Monge's work. We exchanged hundreds of E-mails on the subject of the plane.
Afterwards I had the pleasure of meeting him on several occasions, first at a BAA meeting in Brussels in 2010, several occasions since then, and two times last summer. First at the Clinton-Sherman airfield in Oklahoma, where my son Tomás and I visited Scotty while he was assembling the replica Bugatti less then a week before the first successful flight. Scotty flew the plane first on August 19, 2015, the was the first time anything like it had ever flown. Then, I met him and his wife Leslia for the last time about a month later at the Bugatti Festival in Molsheim.
A big blow for all of us, we will always remember Scotty as the one person bold enough to take on the challenge of replicating the most beautiful airplane that never flew, and then make it fly....

This really terrible news reached me on Sunday, terrible news first of all for Scotty's wife Leslia, his family and closest friends.

Our Condolences to all of them.

With a sad heart,

Jaap Horst, Bugatti Aircraft Association,

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:03 am 

It's really terrible. Sad news.

My condolences to his family.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:38 am 

I have now taken the time to reread the excellent book by Jaap and also consider the 100P design in detail. I am convinced that the idea of separate engines driving separate contra rotating propellors creates a deathtrap. Loss of one engine at slow speed and at low altitude could result in a non recoverable situation.With sufficient height at ones disposal, loss of one engine would be a minor inconvenience.I wonder if anyone gave any thought to this before flying this aircraft ?