It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: bugatti collections
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:37 pm 

Is it an idea to form a list of musea and privat or other collections where bugatti's are on display? and this world wide. I like to collect all this info and create a list and map where to find what. This should also include the work of Rembrandt and the furniture of the father. I beleive that you will be amazed how many cars, objects and parts are swirling around on the globe. looking forward to receive comments. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:44 am 
Valued contributor

This is a great idea. It's going to be a lot of work though. I wish you the best of luck.

Regards
Johan

Post subject: lists in general
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:41 pm 

I wish someone would make a list of componants like conrods.With all the different lengths etc.It may sound daft but I am restoring a motor [all aluminium twincam 2000 litre 4 cyl ] partly machined and built by Bugatti but not a Bugatti design.The original conrods were aluminium and broke.I am quite sure that there must be a rod from some normal car which would work perfectly well! The cost of new rods is quite high and not really justified in this case.All I need are four rods the same center distance and about the right size bigend [one can remachine the crank to correct minor differences.] We could start the list now,my rods are 130mm center to center and bigend journal 58mm :D :D :D If anyone has any rods lying about perhaps they might kindly measure them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Should they be one-piece (Bugatti design) or multi-piece (normal design)

I am sure the right conrod is somewhere out there... Should it be classic, or can it be more modern as well?

One could ask around on different automotive forums.

I do not think it is doable to organise all parts of all Bugattis in such a way that it will be searchable on dimensions.

On the museum-thing.

Of course for as much cars as possible the owner of the car is mentioned on the WIKI. Including museums.

However, it is more difficult to generate the inverse list: Which cars are owned by which museum. To couple a map to it is even another story.

Perhaps some good ideas for Bugattibuilder Version 3...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:57 am 

You can find lots of messurements on engine parts in catalogs of Vanwell or or Mahle as far as bearings concerns, we have still some older engine revision workshops with extremely old man who know extremely much about extremely old engines and usualy have lots of parts that can be used on more makes. There is also a belgian shop who makes them new as far as I know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:01 am 

The museum list is not only for the bugatti exposure but also to make the collections more inviting and add the museum and collections in their whiole appearance to us petrolheads.

Post subject: conrods
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:44 am 

Thank you all,the conrod is of course conventional as this engine has shell bearings like every modern car.I Know it is difficult for some of you to get your head round but this engine is 1962 ! Bugatti did not stop in 1939 :D I am sure :) that some modern car has a rod 130mm long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:18 pm 
Valued contributor

Hi Lazarus

Thank you for sharing your passion for the, as you put it, "post-Conway Bugattis" This neglected part of Bugatti history has long cried out for a champion, and now we have you. Speaking only for myself, ever since you have joined the forum I have started to take an interest in the T73 (The T252 might take a while longer, I suspect) and for that I am in your debt. It's learning new things which keeps me loyal to Herman's creation, and you bring a whole new dimension to the study of Bugatti. Thank you.

With Gratitude
Johan

Post subject: T73
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:00 pm 

I would be happy to write an article but do not know how to load it onto the site ! There is quite a lot of interesting detail in the wartime work of Ettore that should be more widely understood.He seems to have realised for the first time that you have to produce things economically [meaning quantity ]if you want to suceed in business.Just how he redesigned his icon parts like the front axle so as not to compromise his demand for beauty as well as function is quite astonishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

mail an article to me, and everything will be arranged...