It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: TRIPPEL, Obersturmbannführer Hans.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:59 pm 

What I find bizarre is the Molsheim plant being run by communist workers but still named after the Nazi who purchased the factory from Ettore. The "Trippel" signs were not removed from the plant until June 1947 after Ettore had won his court battle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:37 am 

What do you call "the Trippel"signs ??

Post subject: Our Lord Bugatti
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:02 am 

I had no idea what I was starting here ! Just to give a final stir, It is of course quite impossible to call Ettore Bugatti a collaborateur as he was not French but Italian as I have said.As an Italian his duty would demand that he fight for his country [Italy] With the germans and against the french.This would not have been collaboration.He however made his feelings quite clear by refusing to run his factory for the germans and leaving for Paris where he continued his non warlike activities.I do hope that everyone understands this,even the young or non english speaking members of this illustrious forum.

Post subject: TRIPPEL, Obersturmbannführer Hans.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:24 am 

Until June, 1947 there was a sign on the front boundary fence of the Molsheim plant entitled "Enterprise Trippel" and, in smaller letters "gérée par l'administration des Domaines".

The sign was only removed after the legal decision to return to Ettore the factory he had sold during the war.

Roland, Pierre Marco and Edouard Betrand appear in a picture from the Keoshian Collection showing the sign being replaced. (Ref. B 24).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:27 am 
Valued contributor

A bit of controversy is no bad thing. Ettore Bugatti did not kill anyone. Ettore never sent anyone to the concentration camps. Ettore Bugatti did however live in comfort during a period of unimaginable horror. How this is viewed with the precision of hindsight depends, I suppose, on how one judge the content of a man's character.

As for me, I am unable to be objective ; therefore I shall follow this thread with keen interest, but I shall refrain from joining in. Even though I was born in 1963, the Second World War continuous to strike a raw nerve within my soul.

Kind Regards
Johan Buchner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:44 pm 

The wole conversation is based on information from a later period. keep in mind that Molsheim and the rest of the Alsace was a German territory before WW1.and the influence of Germany was bigger that the French. My oppinion is that Ettore liked the germans as people but was not too keen on the Nazistyle of running the show.

Post subject: Later period ???
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:03 pm 

Dear Horseshoe.The information that Ettore was Italian did not come from a later period,nor did the information that Germany and Italy were allies and had signed the triple alliance.Nor did the notion that it is not collaboration to fight for ones country.I dont quite understand your point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:24 pm 

What I ment to say is that it is difficult to judge peoples action in a extremely confusing period where nobody has all the information that lead to this kind of actions, I believe it is a giant step to leave the company and move to Paris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:04 am 

The situation at Molsheim was ever totally clear. It is not un mystery.
Ettore was thinking french ( never Italian ) and it is the reason why he left Molsheim.
This situation was attested by the Major of the Town after the war.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:20 pm 

ok. point taken